NPD 5th bass /yella

Dinodadog

Had another go at NPD this morning and managed to get one yella and half a dozen bass, no whoppers but some nice fish. Mate got 2 bass also and we both lost a few to the underwater grass. Didn't intend to walk to far this am, so we just went to macgavins and walked around the toilet block end. My mate picked up the 1st 2 bass and then he never landed anymore but missed a few. I then landed 4 bass then the yellow followed by another 2 bass. Mine were all taken on gold s/baits and the mate used another colour. The fish are there but they are not easy. This time of the year is always hard, but you can get lucky and find a few cruisers. Run into Rocket and Keechie as I was leaving and wished them luck.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog

bass jumped as I took pic [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/yelbas_002.JPG

Good to see you again Dino, congrats on the mixed bag.

I'll tack our report on as it's the same heading!

Nic and I were somewhat less successful, but in the tradition of stupid fishermen through the ages we enjoyed it anyway.

First cast after we left you at McGavins, I was on to a little bass that attacked my spinnerbait (bony bream) and got "stung" by the stinger hook.

Hopeful of many more to some we kept at it till 12pm, but alas there were no more to be had.

Maybe they all had sore mouths from an earlier encounter:P

Looks like the bait fishos at McGavins are using some sort of small fish (possibly aquarium bred tropicals) as livies. I found these half alive in a open coke bottle in the shallows.

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_51208_001.jpg

Anyone know what they are?

Thanks to Nic for the company today, maybe next time we can get you your first bass:)

post-953-144598480113_thumb.jpg

Good to see your giving them a clobbering Dino.

I'll have to get out there soon. Cursed overtime has me pinned at work most days of the week now.

At least I have your reports to satisfy my bass fix just a little.( not as much fun as catching them myself, but still good fun to read )

Geez it's scary seeing photo's like Rocket supplied.

Don't know what sort of fish they are but I sure know the person who took them to the dam must be a right knucklehead.

Look at the tilapia problem, this is how these things start.:(

I just asked Jeff Johnson in the Fishes section at Queensland Museum - this was his response:

These are Fly-specked Hardyheads, Craterocephalus stercusmuscarum. These are native freshwater fish that are common in the NP Dam.

Hope this helps

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NPD_51208_001-3da68f1916066062dde0b429a17f9c21.jpg

post-2889-14459848027_thumb.jpg

Archived