HINZE DAM

Tiani

There is a ramp further up the left arm that I dont think has a gate on it, but I have been warned not to park up there during the day as cars will get broken into, so no doubt night time is even worse. I dont know if the ramp near the dam is locked or not, Ray would know, otherwise I'll have a look tomorrow and get back to you (I am taking my young bloke down for his prize from winning the Junior division of the Brisbane River Classic tomorrow.

Tiani I assume you will be fishing by boat and know that it is electric only. You also need a local permit issued by the on site ranger or some of the local tackle shops. Cost is $5 for a day ( I think or may be a week) or $45 for a year for yourself and partner.I know that the The commercial ramp is not locked. The gates into the picnic area on the kiosk side are locked at night. You are not supposed to be on the water in a boat after dark but the rule is largely ignored. I have been night fishing there a couple of times and whilst we dont show any lights we havent had any problems and there have been other boats out also.

There are two other ramps that do not have gates on them . One is accessed by The Panorama which will take to near the water intake tower it is only a gravel ramp and gets a bit of use by the locals.The road up there is pretty steep and has warning signs about not suotable for caravans but my kia rio used to tow mt boat and 3 large adults up it no problems. It is worth going up there for the views and nice homes.

The other is a bit harder to find and I dont have any precise distances. You access it via the Nerang Murwullimbah road. Its just a little dirt track that drops off on the LHS and you follow it down to a reasonable ramp that is only exposed when the water level is down otherwise you just launch off the end of the track. If you come to a curved bridge you have gone too far and will have to go back about a mile,

We were useing this ramp a fair bit last year with good results. There are lots of fishy banks,creeks and weed beds up there.

Had no worries with our cars as its quite hard to find but we may have been lucky as it has the reputation of being a place where the hoons burn out their stolen cars.

Ray

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/19 18:28

Post edited by: rayke1938, at: 2006/12/19 18:40

Dropped in and had a look at three of the ramps today.

The ramp west of the wall is by far the best, being all concrete, decent angle and indeed has no lock.

The Ramp up the western arm, (near the environmental camp) look ok, it is gravel, and in a well protected area, normally would be great launching spot for windy weather, however there were half a dozen little piles of window glass on the ground. A definate sign that cars are being broken into while left here. There is a gate on this ramp, but an extremely steep track exists around the gate, getting in would be ok for a 4wd, but getting out would not be an option.

The ramp east of the dam wall is very steep, narrow, and even with the dam at 80% is already run out of concrete, meaning a dirt ramp (not even gravel), with its steepness, I would avoid it. It also has a gate on it.

Did not get to the ramp up the eastern arm. It is accessed from another approach to the dam.

Hope all that helps.

oh - also there was not a single boat out today, even though the weather was good. Spoke to Steve (from sports tuition) if your going, th eBass are currently right up the ends of the dam.

Archived