A big "G'day" from Texas...

Crank

Greetings everybody! My name is Jason Bryant and I'm a kayak fisherman from Houston, TX. I ran across some of Angus' shark pics on myspace and decided to come check you guys out.

Great site you guys have here -- lots of good info!

Anyway, I thought I'd post a few pictures of some recent catches from over here on the Gulf Coast. I fish almost exclusively out of a kayak and am a member of the Wilderness Systems kayak fishing team here in the states. (http://www.wildernesssystems.com/fishing-athletes.asp)

Angus tells me that some of you guys are yak fishermen also.

I look forward to hanging out and reading your reports... who knows, maybe someday we can even fish together!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, enjoy the pics...

In Texas, this is what we call a \"bull\" redfish. The state has established a \"slot\" limit between 20-28 inches. You can only keep fish within that established slot. Anything under 20\" or over 28\" must be released. Any redfish that is over the established slot limit is referred to as a bull. As the fish grow larger they leave the bays and head out into the deeper waters of the Gulf to spawn.

bigred3.jpg

Another big redfish - these guys fight like you wouldn't believe!

bigred2.jpg

bigred1.jpg

Here are a few from a recent charity pro/am tournament. The proceeds went to benefit seagrass restoration in the Galveston Bay Complex. My team was fortunate enough to take home first place:

IMGP1211.jpg

Couple of big flounder turned in:

IMGP1213.jpg

Fun for the whole family:

IMGP1217.jpg

IMGP1216.jpg

Taken during a recent tournament when some nasty weather came through:

IMGP1050.jpg

Spotted Seatrout (or Speckled Trout as we call them) I caught in the surf:

troutsplash.jpg

Spanish Mackerel from the surf:

smack.jpg

That should be quite enough for now, enjoy!

Post edited by: Crank, at: 2006/12/21 23:42

Post edited by: Crank, at: 2006/12/21 23:43

Post edited by: Crank, at: 2006/12/21 23:44

Hahah! Just as long as you don't row more than 10m out from shore, I'm sure you'll be fine ;) I was going to suggest our rivers, but they have Bull Sharks as well :)

It's true, with all those nice fish you catch in your yak, you could end up being a surface lure!

Your idea about trebles sounds great. If you did come over, let me know so I can tie my line onto those trebles. Wouldn't want to miss the big one! :whistle:

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/12/22 00:15

Nice pics mate!

I have seen pictures of those Bull reds before.

Great looking fish.

We also have a similar measurement restrictions on our Flathead over hear. Except our is a bit broader. Basically anything between 40 and 80cm can be kept. The idea being, which im sure might be the case over there? is that anything bigger than 80cm is going to be a breeding female.

Mate my fiance bought me a new customised fishing yak for me Birthday, ill get a pick of it up both here and on your site soon!

Good fishing mate!

Angus

Between 40 and 70cm Gus ;) . Gus when are we going out on your yak? :P . Mine is getting a work out this weekend. Hopefully I can nail my first Brisbane River Squire on plastics. I'm heading out with Nabeel on either Saturday or Sunday, early morning. If I can't get a Squire there's always Breambos.

Those Redfish look a lot like a fish we get here in Aus, Jewfish. They are a pretty rare fish in most parts of Australia. Some other parts are fairly abundant with them.

Troy

P.S. Dam Arsies ;):P . Here's a pic of a Jewie. [img size=220]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Black_Jewfish.jpg

post-68-144598403795_thumb.jpg

gday......awesome pics there mate!

we might have to have a international comp one day!

hope to have more yak fishing pics in the new year ya gunna have to check out....there is a growing number or yak fisherman on here..its a awesome way to fish! as you would know first hand! nice to meet ya;)

Thanks for the compliments guys! Nice to meet you all.

I've always been fascinated with the land down under. That is definitely a place I will visit before I go. And when I make it over, I'm gonna' give you guys a call for some fishing! :P

Blue_Mako,

I think Cowfish is right, what we call Spanish Macks over here are much different than the Smacks you guys have over there. Looks like a totally different fish. The Spanish in my pic is considered a solid size for the species we have here. The pic you posted looks closer to what we call a Wahoo or a King Mackerel, but not exactly the same.

Here's a pic of a King I got out of the boat this summer:

IMGP1090.jpg

Cowfish,

Yes, redfish are becoming a very popular sportfish here in the states. You all might have seen the \"Redfish Cup\" which airs on ESPN2 here in the states (Maybe over there in Aus too?).

Over here in the states the fish we call a Jewfish is a Goliath Grouper. Like this one: http://catch-em-all.com/imgs/jonsjewfishbig.jpg

Confused yet? :laugh:

A few more pics from the collection...

Do you guys have flounder over there?

album_pic.jpg

jred.jpg

I noticed you guys run some tournaments over there. We have a lot of tournaments too and they're always accompanied with some other \"non-fishing\" activities as well.

You can see these fellas had been enjoying some adult beverages:

IMGP0968.jpg

The giant crab latched on to his finger didn't seem to bother him that much. :P

IMGP0953.jpg

I love fishing for largemouth as well. You guys have bass down under don't you?

fish.jpg

IMGP0083.jpg

We have flounder... but I've only seen smallish ones from brissie, the biggest one I've seen was caught by gus a few months(still wasnt big compared to yours). And we do have bass but they're different again and we also have wahoo except they get huge. [img size=370]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Flounder_caught_by_angus-106ba713d7d671868ebe4545f3b6e286.JPG

post-96-14459840387_thumb.jpg

jimmybob wrote:

i have neva got the flounder that big timbo! thats a goodie! was that from nugget oh i mean nudgge beach?:P

nice one.......hey crank? how big to Halibut get? you get them in the states or up north in alaska?

JB,

Halibut get downright HUGE! They're coldwater fish, like you said, up around Alaska. They are also plentiful on the eastern seaboard from Virginia and up north.

Here's a nice halibut pic I found on the net... and this isn't even a REALLY big one:

Grego%20with%20Halibut.jpg

I've never caught a halibut myself as our waters are too warm for them. We do get a lot of flounder though. This time of year it's slow for flounder though. As the water gets colder they move out into the gulf to spawn. They'll be back once things start warming up again.

Post edited by: Crank, at: 2006/12/23 13:54

• 4 weeks later...

In fact, north queensland does have one species of Halibut, but it only gets to 10kg:cheer: .

Our flounder get up to around 50cm in extreme fish.

And we have a type of bass, but it is different to yours. Ours is called Australian Bass (no surprises there)

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/view-415.html

Archived