dangerous fish

shortie

I have caught a few Black trevally lately.

And my way of removing is to get dad to take it off and get bitten. He learnt quickly after that. But he now uses pliers.

I don't have a very vast knowledge on fish, but I learn from on here. And I just use pliers on all fish I catch.

And for first aid - A nice can of harden up or run it under water. (Usually at woody point jetty)

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

And for first aid - A nice can of harden up or run it under water.

not if a bull rout get ya

u are allowed to scream and cry like a little girl .

Ha, I've got one in a fish tank. I think about posts like this every time I have to clean his tank! :P

• 2 weeks later...

had a guy off a jet ski turn up at the boat club on sth stradie complaning of a sting ray puncture. we got him to put his foot in the hottest water he could stand and gave him some panadol. it was some thing i remembered to do it seemed to work for him

caught a stone fish in tinnie ck last month and my mate thought he got prickled by it . nothing happened and after 20 minutes i said he should be right. my dad got his hand impaled by a stoney 30 yrs ago while diving and collectin the crown of thorn starfish for research. he said it attacked his nervous system and couldn't move after a few minutes and his diving buddy saved him

I catch a lot of venomous looking little suckers in the net in breakfast ck and around pinkenba. Not sure what they are, but I think may be fortescue.
/>http://www.flickr.com/photos/rling/2294438911/

Kind of look a bit like a bullrout but only about 4-6cm in length. Anyone know what the fish I am talking about?

Also the venom of the humble scat should not be understimated.

Have also been stung by my pet lionfish while cleaning the aquarium. They are meant to pack a serious punch but to be honest it really wasn't any worse than a happy moments. I guess he only got me with two spines.

yeah those forties are painfull little buggers but a good blast of rp7 seems to ease the pain

dom is your loin fish an antonadis(shortfin or dwarf) or a vollitans (longfin)

i've been belted by both when i worked in the aquarium fish bussiness and the shortfin hurts far worse than a long fin

the sting seems to get worse as the fish gets bigger too

jeff f wrote:

yeah those forties are painfull little buggers but a good blast of rp7 seems to ease the pain

dom is your loin fish an antonadis(shortfin or dwarf) or a vollitans (longfin)

i've been belted by both when i worked in the aquarium fish bussiness and the shortfin hurts far worse than a long fin

the sting seems to get worse as the fish gets bigger too

He was a pterois olitans. I used to have a pterois antenata as well but both got wiped out years ago by a disease outbreak.:( They were awesome fish to watch feeding. The species that stung me probably explains why the sting wasn't that bad.

i got hit with a bat ray.right next to my achilles... hurt like a son of a beeeep. it was hours before i got to the house to soak it in hot water. 2 days of my leg burning like fire and ibuprofen like it was candy. now i make sure to slide my feet instead of stepping.

my dangerous fish list include the mackerals and wahoo (teeth), flathead and bass (gill plates), green sea toads (teeth), and catfish (spines) in addition to those already mentioned. Unhook outside the boat if I am not planning to keep, otherwise handle with a rag for grip. Mackerals and wahoo gaffed and settled down with bat before unhooking.

I have been stung by a bullrout castnetting. Hurt a fair bit but I managed to get through it and forgot about it after 2 hours or so.

Keep a full first aid kit on the boat and have my senior first aid certificate. Hope I never need to use it tho.

Jeremy

Archived