Awoonga - 2007

Brian D

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lee mentioned it to me, and I've also thought about it a bit. The idea was rigging up a live bass as bait and leaving that out at night.

Jeff: That'd be great. I was thinking of running some of that tape up and down either side of my kayak. You'd see it reflect a mile away. Then it would be good for when I'm shark fishing as well - my kayak would be clearly visible when on the beach.

Feral: We should make something like that - the new \"AFO Night Fishing Shirt\" That would be great if you could - probably a small for me mate. - otherwise I'll look like young alex with that BRC shirt.

Fisher_90: I'm certainly NOT trolling the Tiagra in a kayak. The 100lbs I use wouldn't make me roll the kayak, it will send me flying out of the thing. Perhaps if they are auditioning for another Superman movie I could troll with that :woohoo: Besides I don't want it ending up in the drink.

Ray and I used el cheapo UHF's there last time, it easily covered the eastern part of the main basin, only issue was when we went up Iveragh creek when it got windy (Ray kept trolling the main basin.

This year Jamie and I will have hand held VHF's as well as the same cheap UHF's, we should be able to get the word around ok. Besides I reckon we will hear Terry Hollering further than 3k's!

Besides with Brian and the cruisecraft, and possibly Ray in his big boat, they will probably be there in under a minute!

Only 4 weeks to go.:silly: Scott's coming around home on Sunday for a pre-start meeting to see who's got what and what we still may need to buy.

What days is everyone travelling, There was some talk of stopping in at mondura on the way. Our plan at this stage is to head up 6am sunday and get there just after lunch, settle in and fish the sunset and come back Saturday.

What's everyone else doing?

Brian what is provided in cabins do we have to bring sheets,pillows,towels and cutlery .

Also would anyone be interested in a guided charter there are 4 operators.

Mathew mott uses 4.6m twinfisher I think he can take 4 but will probably want at least 2 days hire as he has to come from Boondoomba.

Johnny Mitchell takes 2 charges $275 each for 6 hours.

Paul Dolan comes from Hervey takes 2 specalises in Barra on fly but also does lure wants 2 days.

Harro local no idea of boat or charges I have sent an email to Harro enquiring availability and charges.

Depending on availability I would be interested if i can do it early in the trip. Anyone else interested.?

Ray

Ray if you find someone that takes 3 Scott and myself may be keen, I'll discuss it with him on Sunday. Like your self I would want to do it Monday or Tuesday if possible. Mathew Mott is suposed to be the best from what I have heard.

Also check out Johnny Mitchels website, there is a couple of great vids just to get you in the mood.

http://www.fishawoonga.com.au/

Got a response from Harro.

I'm not booked as yet for the 22-28 Oct.

I limit charters to two anglers at a time. Three turns a boat into a

danger zone and if someone gets hooked in the nether regions it's not

the bloke casting that's in the shit, but me. Two anglers better allows

me to work systems and locations. I pass on a lot of information and

make the charter a learning session. This puts clients in good DIY

stead.

What might work though is for your group to rotate days. My rates are

$50 per head per hour for two anglers. Session durations are flexible -

four, six or eight hours. I like doing two four hour blocks for an 8

hour charter. This lets us fish dawn and dusk - the two prime times.

All

tackle and refreshments supplied.

If there's anything further I can help with, please call on 0418 892

Thanks for the interest,

Cordially,

Rod

Nothing from Motty.I will check availability with johnny mitchell

Here's an extract from the cabin site, that describes what is in the cabins. I must have stayed in the delux cabin last time.

Our cabins are fully self contained and air conditioned and supplied the same as any five star accomodation, bed linen, latex pillows, pure wool doonas (beds made), coffee tea sugar milk shampoo conditioner body wash and dishwashing liquid tea towels etc, bath towels supplied on request.TV Radio and alarm clock, Our Delux cabins also have a fully equipped laundry, while a communal laundry facility is available at a nominal charge for our other guests .

Here's the link.http://www.awoongagatewaylodge.com.au

What we do need to do is to take our personal supplies like beer for the arvo, food, more beer for the morning, Pepsi max for the hangover and Feral, and then some flavours to taste up the fillets.

For the uneducated here's a breif.

Nearest major town is about 1/2 hour away (Gladstone)

There are 3 great spots for a feed nearby.

THe Kiosk does good value meals and lunches. They are licenced and last time I enjoyed a monster burger and 3 Goldies on more then 1 ocasion. Great spot to relax overlooking the Dam. You can leave your boat at the water edge at half time and stock up on lunch then go another round of arvo fishing. This is where Terry and Lee should try a launch.

The other 2 spots are back out on the hi-way about 5mins drive past the cabins. The big place is a truck stop with good food at reasonable prices. The other is oposite and a little more boutique but the food is super. These are good to refuel all tanks.

Last trip I lived on Pasta dishes, burgers and beer. Loved it.

Just note this. I will be bringing my supplies because after a 6 hour drive I wont feel like driving into Gladstone and back again.

Note this too - I will be planning a special communal Barra dish for everyone. It will be Thai Barra fillits poached in coconut cream and curry to taste served on aussie long grain spicy rice. Let me know if you don't like the sound of that and I'll switch to a grilled fillet with mango glase. No deep fried here boys. No salad either.:woohoo:

rayke1938 wrote:

Life at Awoonga

4.30 go fishing for dawn session.

Back for lunch.

2.30 back fishing

10pm back to camp for shower and sleep

no time for barbys.

Main meal of the day is lunch.

Ray

Oh the memories but Ray you forgot the nanna nap after lunch.

Maybe this time, because the ramp will be so busy, I might try a couple of lunches at the kiosk instead of going back to the cabin.

Terry as for the BBQ - I'll be fishing but once you have it ready give me a call on the radio and I'll motor over. ;) truth is a burger and beer is way easier.:)

Well, wife hands me card from xouriers this morning, goodies from Mo Tackle have been sitting at local depot since tuesday!

Anyway went down and picked up my new hooks and rings this morning on the way to work. Was going to show them off to Poly, but the Bum had the day off!

Anyway have just spent the last 2 hours changes 75 trebles, and similar number of rings.

New hooks and rings look much more business like than the old ones!

Now just got to track down somewhere with larger slick rigs and I am set!

Archived