The Forbidden Zone

Angus

I have been wanting to fish Obi Obi Creek for some time now. I know it is restricted beloe the Baroon Pocket dam wall but i cant find out for how far?

I have researched a fair bit and found nothing conclusive. Anyone have any idea?

I am really keen on hiking in here, through the water if required in search of cod. I think it would be a cool experience.

Regards.

Angus [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Forbidden.JPG

post-63-144598405363_thumb.jpg

Dude, ive been checking out maps and everything for some sort of district or zones too. I cant find any. I was hoping to find a number to call and ask somebody.

Looking at maps, looks like it'll be a decent bush bash hike first, even brfore you hit the creek

Im keen as to try some of those holes, so let me know when you looking to give it ago.

There is a proper walking track all the way down to the water. I have done it several times. Once you are there you would have to wade a fair bit as the creek sometimes goes through cliff faces. But there are awesome holes, and boulders. I have seen a large portion of it from above and it loks simply awesome.

Angus

You can find out the exact point in which it's closed to fishing by going to the DPI&F's website and looked at the Closed water sections.

/>http://dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3032_ENA_HTML.htm

On inspection, there's actually no mention of no fishing near the dam wall. Just that no fish can be taken in certain areas:

No fish can be taken from Obi Obi Creek all year round between the Baroon Pocket Dam wall and the shortest line across the creek at the southern bank of Skenes Creek.

Edit: just read Beacon to Beacon, you can't fish in that section mention above.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/01/12 14:57

according to the website

it says that no fish can be taken from the obi obi creek- between the dam and southern bank of skenes creek, it does not say that you can' t fish only that you cannot take fish, if you release them you will be fine. not fined.

sounds like a nice spot how you describe it wouldnt mind a bush bash through there my self

just go to the fisheries website dpi.qld.gov.au

or legislation.qld.gov.au and go to search

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/01/12 16:16

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/01/12 16:45

the management plan says something different but its a few years old 1999 you can only catch fish there by accident like your practicing casting lures or something or fine tunining your retrieve you get it:P

section 69 god i love that word states that a review must be conducted no less that 5 years and no more than nine years from the commencement of the plan. So it is due.

If your really keen well you know

Post edited by: Oztrav, at: 2007/01/12 16:43

Yeah well i have seen that country. 7km is a serious 7km not a walk on the footpath. I dont even think it would be psossible due to deep pools, rapids, cliffs, waterfalls etc.

I will try and do some research and find some access further down.

Angus

Cool mate.

To be honest i have actively thought about it a whole lot more. Its one of a hundred missions that go around in my head! But yeah i will give it a shit for sure sometime.

Does anyone have any ideas on where one could launch a kayak or walk the bank in that area? Either the creek itself or the mary river.

Angus

Well guys, had a quick look around Maleny on the weekend and she's not looking the best.

No water anywhere, even the Mary looked bad. I remember the good ol days of fast running riffles over gravel beds running into good looking holes. Now it's just a series of weed/algae choked pools. Didn't see the Obi Obi, might be a bit running out of Baroon? but everything else is very dry.

Send it down Huey !!!!!

Archived