Last week

bretto

Here is few of the fish I managed to get stuck into over the last week. The best was probably a 50cm bigeye on 4lb but I did hook a big cod in the canals that I could see but was too strong to get to the surface on 4lb and busted the leader which gave me about five minutes of fun.

Pics to follow

Brett.

50cm big eye

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1some04.JPG

post-2675-144598488873_thumb.jpg

Angus wrote:

bretto wrote:
And I got this flathead but not sure on species. any ideas?

[img size=333]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1some08.JPG

Nice one as always Bretto.

Mate thats a Fringe Eyed Flathead. I have only ever got one myself and that was at the pin.

Glad to see you got your hat mate :P

Angus

Cheers for the ID and the hat mate. Seems to attract lots of bream. ;)

wesfish wrote:

nice fish there bretto ,your bream wasnt in the lake of coomera by any chance? that flatty is a funny looking critter sort of looks like a tiger flatty, but the desciption in grants sounds like fringe , did it have funny looking eye brows?

Did really notice the eye brows but it was about midnight and I just wanted to get a few snaps and a quick release. both those bream came out of the coomera river. I found the difference in colouation a bit strange but maybe the silver one had just made its way down from closer to the mouth in the clear water.

werewolf wrote:

wow more nice pics and and awesome mixed bag.

Where you on your yak or land based? I couldn't tell from your pics!

Even the "little" cod you landed is a top effort on 4 lb!

All in the yak mate. The cod had me bricked for a while so I was suprised when I got it up.

pinkey wrote:

Good effort buddy. Good fish. How big did the big cod look? how much line did that bigeye take on its first run?

Cheers Pinky. Cod would have gone close to 70 i reckon and the big eye took about a 35m run and then came back at me at the same speed and then slugged it down deep.

bretto wrote:

All in the yak mate. The cod had me bricked for a while so I was suprised when I got it up.

Awesome! I love catching cod! I remember getting some tiny ones in Anzac park in Townsville. We would cast parallel to the rocks, literally 3 feet out and the little buggers would often hit the lure at our feet! Fish even 25 cm long were bricking us as they only had to swim sideways a few inches to slip into a crack between rocks!

I can't wait to get my yak into some canals chasing cod and flatties etc :woohoo: When I'm living in Brisbane later this year I will be a lot closer to the coast than I am now, so no excuses anymore!B)

Archived