Where do snakes go?

EMP

Reminds me of a flood here in NSW when I was out doing some flood Rescue and a snake wanted to join us in the flood boat. It mustn't have wanted to get it's feet wet :silly: . It tried so hard to get into the boat :angry: but me and my crew had different ideas :ohmy: . Dam funny sight 4 grown men trying to drown a snake just because they didn't want to share a flood boat with it.......:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: We did manage to bring back 5 shingle back lizards and a goanna that had nearly drown.

He started to recover about 10 minutes after we saved him, that was rather interesting as well :woohoo: . We ended up putting him into an empty sand bag. The old shingle backs just laid there where we put them, I think they were just glad to be out of the water.

All joking aside, they will try to get into your boat and don't underestimate them because they can raise up an amazing height out of the water

On the weekend, the wife and I went for a walk from Sweeneys Reserve to North Pine Country Park along the pathway that follows the river. As we neared Youngs crossing, I was looking at the river as i walked and the next thing the wife starts screaming and leaping up and down. I look down and see a full grown tiger snake between her feet!!!

I froze and the missus took off down the pathway with the snake in hot pursuit. It followed her for about 5 metres and turned off into the grass. Not sure if it was actually attacking her, of if it was just startled and confused but it was certainly a close shave either way.

We're heading into that time of the year when the snakes need to bask out in the open to warm themselves so it pays to stomp along like Herman Munster.

They like to stay near the waters edge, as I found out a few weeks back when fishing some creeks on the border. My brothers and I were walking along the creek lure fishing and I was the one up the front and luckily I had my eyes peeled and just stopped in from of a snake that wouldve been close to 3 mtrs in length! Talk about camouflage! Was a gold and brown coloured snake, python?? It scared the crap out of me and i didnt know where the head was, so followed the body and my foot was about 5 cm from the tail...luckily the head was in the other direction, so took a few happy snaps and walked around it to continue fishing.

i think the quail population at NPD is the reason the snakes are there...ya hear alot of frogs there at night too, but i havent seen many red bellies which like frogs..just loads of browns! yay!!! :blink:

if ya dont like snakes, a brown might be the one "worth" getting bitten by as you wont wont remember it!...for long... :P

They usually won't bother you unless you do domething silly like try to kill them...thats when people get bitten.

A few weeks back I hooked a bass and went to get my pliers out of my back pack. A little brown had his head inside the pocket where some smelly old Gulps were hiding. I stomped on the ground and it took the bolt to a little stand of grass, wrapped itself around the base of the tussock and just watched me. It really wanted those stinkin Gulps.

I stomped a few more times and it left.

I haven't seen one since and I've been walking a lot out there, the colder mornings are keeping them away a bit.

And JimmyBob...I hope the snakes eat all those bloody quails....they scare the hell out of me, why is it that they only take off when your just about to stand on them....stupid birds.

Don't kid yourself about them running away. I come across snakes regularly in my business and have found that browns will have a shot at you if you come across them unexpectedly. They can be very aggressive when they feel threatened and that doesn't mean that you are actually trying to hurt them. We have also found that Blacks on the other hand will take off as soon as they feel you in the area.

I have heard ( not sure if its true or not )that nesting browns can go off. I'll tell you a story and see what you reckon. We had a farm out west and a big brown came into the house and went under the dinner table while people were sitting down for lunch. That was a hell of a day !!!! There was a very large hole in the floor after my old man blew it in half. That snake was heading straight for my little brother who was about one at the time. It actually slid right across my Mums foot. She looked under the table and saw it. She ran to my little brother and threw him across the room. Everyone was horrified until we knew what was happening.

That one was a very large Western brown about three fingers thick. Nasty piece of work. A stump was removed from the front of the farmhouse and thats when the nest was found.

Seemed crazy that a snake would come into the house and actually head towards people.

Thats the only time I've seen it happen. We used to see heaps walking from that farmhouse to our school bus every day. We'd just stop and let them pass. And stickpicking during the school holidays we'd come across all sorts...browns, blacks, death adders.....when your in the scrub picking up logs you find a few. the one that really scared me was the fierce snake ( Western Taipan ) I never saw one and I never wanted to. :ohmy:

BrisBassMan wrote:

Speaking of toads and NPD. I have seen alot of toads lately out at NPd than have been disected and all "good" fleshy parts eaten. I reckon the egrets and alike out there have gotten smarter and only eat the yummy bits. :S

That may be the case, its amazing how wild creatures can learn new skills. Torresian crows (one of the native Australian crows) have been observed turning cane toads over and eating the "yummy bits" :X from the underside thereby avoiding the poison glands.

in the last 4 weeks, i have seen close to 20 snakes throughout Wivenhoe,Somerset and NPD, they are still active even today where i met a redbelly below the Wivenhoe Info Centre, i have noticed as soon as the rain stopped there was a bit of activity around the water edge at night, so i would say since the frogs are active so are the snakes!

For those of you that may be worried about snakes, you might like to have a look at this page on the Queensland Museum web site:

/>http://www.qm.qld.gov.au/features/snakes/dangerous/index.asp

RoscoP is quite right about the Eastern Brown snake - it will actively go for you. I've spoke to some of the snake collectors at the QM and some of them hate going after Eastern Browns for just that reason.

Having said all that, I wonder just how many bites have been recorded around the dams and inpoundments?

Thanks for that Kreel...interesting and creepy. Really makes you wonder excactly what sort of snakes we come across out there.Some of them sure are similar. I guess there eastern browns...and pythons !!!

I'll try to put up some pics of a little fella I ran into out there a while back.

I usually don't hang around long enough for a formal identification.

Wasn't there news of some bloke that got bitten at the Awoonga ramp a few months back ???

snakes would move , who said they had permanent homes on the shore line anyway?

They might move up but others might also move in as the rising water also causes a lot of small lizzards,insects, mice, rats and frogs to get on the move too, which snakes like to eat.

This is why you also find them populated around shorelines and river banks in normal weather as it is a perfect hunting ground for them.

they are also harmless, if your in snake country take a stick and whack the ground before you or just make a lot of noise.

The only Brown that ever turned on me was one I was trying to kill (I was 14),I have since learnt browns and blacks are not very aggressive at all and should be allowed to move on.

They also keep the vermin down and are valuable in the ecosystem.

dave

Archived