stingrays at shornecliffe pier

nadders

Anyone catch that news report?

apparently some dbags have been chopping the tails off rays and leaving them on the pier at shornecliffe

killed 10 of em

i wonder why people have to do shit like that, such a senseless waste

even if they wanted the barb for jewelery or some idiotic thing like that its not like the rays have to die to harvest a barb

hope they accidentally fall eye first into their 'trophies' some how, knob heads

I would love to go their and catch those responsible and harvest their reproductive appendages and sell them for chinese medicinal use.

Idiots who kill anything for the sake of it or for fun, really, really sh!t me off. What kind of sick freak would mutilate a stingray for no reason? They are such beautiful gentle animals. After swimming with 1m+ rays in New Caledonia I can't understand why anyone would do such a thing. I mean, Steve Irwin must have practically bear hugged one to cause what happened.

It's a real shame that we live with people that just don't know any better.

It's not uncommon to see 1m+ pike eels laying on the bank and the other day I saw a 3ft whaler laying on the bank what a waste.

I feel qld needs to follow nsw and introduce fishing licenses:ohmy:

1 it could provide more education

2 it will get rid of yahoo fisho's

3 if policed it can root out more under size and wastefull fishing.

Very controvercial:unsure: I know but it's just my opinion, Anyone else agree or disagree?

Idiots!

Whiskers wrote:

I feel qld needs to follow nsw and introduce fishing licenses:ohmy:

1 it could provide more education

2 it will get rid of yahoo fisho's

3 if policed it can root out more under size and wastefull fishing.

I respectfully disagree with you mate :) My view:

1 The people who do the right thing, will keep doing the right thing!

2 We all get taxed AGAIN to go fishing

3 The money probably won't get spent on anything to do with fishing, maybe an extra fisheries officer or two will get a job

4 The yahoo element wont bother to buy a license and will keep being yahoos!

TerryH wrote:

Bummer.

If someone wanted to kill an eel or ray, couldn't they at least contact me? Lol They get their socks off on killing it, and I get bait. Win Win?

I will put posters up on all jetty's and ramp with ya Number Terry.

then they have no excuse.

Living at Shorncliffe and having lived here nearly my whole life, murdering of rays off Shorncliffe pier has been going on for years. I do not condone it one bit and it makes my blood almost boil at the senseless waste it causes. I've seen old men do it on and off for years, cutting off tails to try and protect the 'children' against 'attacks'. I've never seen one person in Bramble Bay ever been hit by a stingray. I've even caught a couple of rays in Cabbage Tree with missing tails. But it's not just Shorncliffe Pier, I saw someone drag a Stingray upside down along the wooden decks of the Urangan Pier for at least 50 metres, making a game out and laughing to his mates. I had to leave because it angered me so much.:angry:

It's because of people like this as to why we need limits and enforcement. Now Vicky Darling, councillor for the area is talking about possible closure of fishing on the Shorncliffe pier due to this incident alone. F#&*ing idiots! The fishing off Shorncliffe has been getting better and better with catches of Threadfin, Morwong and even a couple of Jacks. Something I've never seen. Now because of this, they have more reason to justify keeping recreational fisherman out of Moreton Bay.:angry:

Stingrays have just a much right as any other fish(or any other creature on earth for that matter) and shouldn't be considered vermin. They are easy to catch no doubt, and are not a trophy fish, you are not a hero for killing one. Stingrays are one of the only 'sure' things you can catch in Bramble Bay. But hey! why don't we kill them off too, then we'll have nothing.:angry:

I was taught to only kill what you eat, so if they find the C#&*heads who did it, they should fine them for the nine over the bag limit they have, then refer them to the RSPCA where they'll be fined again for animal cruelty, then they should make them eat them in the putrid state they probably are by now.:angry: Then they should publicly display on the news or the papers what happened to make an example of them.:cheer:

IF i was to fish like this, a licence means absolutely nothing.

i don't want to be educated on fishing, just want to catch something, reguardless of what it was, if i can take it home and eat it, all good, if i can't i leave it on the jetty for every1 else to see what is being caught or mame it and throw it back.

yeah i'm a wahoo, don't care!

as for policing! well if some1 approaches me, i didn't catch em, the fella b 4 me did i guess? so how do you police that. simple, you can't.

so maybe a system like they have down the coast on the sand pumping jetty, you pay to use the facilities and someone always watching, can vitrually pay for itself. with the $3.00 to walk along and fish somewhere and fines? it won't stop this behavior all together, but would be able to control it. when it all comes down to it, the majority of people who give a damn are those with a head on their shoulders. hint, hint.

rob

Not a bad idea noname, but I've grown up at Shorncliffe pier where it's been free for all, forever. It's a sad state of affairs when 'me' who's done right by it the whole time, has to pay for 'others' mistakes.

Yeah, you're right Terry at this stage the bag limit is unlimited, I didn't know that it didn't kick in 'till July when Stingrays, along with Sharks have a limit of 1.

maybe the answer is CCTV in the common areas like shorncliffe pier, hornibrook bridge etc

impossible to put CCTV everywhere and no way to know what every bloke is doing in his tinny but i guess its a start at least and knobs might be less likely to do crap like this when they know they are being watched

i really doubt many keen fishos would be doing this kinda thing so i reckon its pretty likely that most of it is going to be done in the obvious places like shorncliffe pier.

once in a blue moon drunk hooligan "fishos" aren't gonna be looking around for super secret stingray killing spot X

shortie wrote:

TerryH wrote:
What they're doing isn't illegal though. So what's policing going to do?

Littering is illegal

In terms of fishing regulations though...

So get some police or council or whoever down there and give them a $200 fine for littering.

Do$tylz wrote:

and animal cruelty.. according to this article..

/>http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/qld-news/stingrays-found-hacked-up-on-brisbane-pier-20090423-afyq.html

... and isn't that a slippery slope ... I've heard that parts of Europe already prohibit catch and release on the same grounds. We are all tarred by this, Greenies blood is boiling and we get to be the target.

Animal cruelty is illegal. Dead rotting corpses are a health problem too and attract vermin.

That nut job "shark expert" hislop as well as Steve Irwins death creates really bad press. People don't realise that these animals want as little to do with us as possible and it is only our irrational fear that makes people do such things. Far more people die in taxi queues than by stingrays or sharks, more people step on glass than any fish with spines or toxins.

On a side note, the state government will most likely use increased catches like at these piers to say that their science free marine park is helping improve the bay.

I can't imagine how terrible it would be to suffocate, so can't leave any fish to die in that manner. These people need to be educated and do some volunteer work at Seaworld or other animal rescue.

nadders wrote:

it can be and its not fatal to the ray, stingrays sometimes "drop" the barb i.e it sometimes breaks off when its used

yeah so maybe if we could educate them to remove the barbs without cutting the tail...

that may help? as the barbs grow back dont they?

just a thought...

after all fear is the reason why people cut the tails off...

fear of getting stung...

why even remove the barb instead of just letting it go?

these guys werent motivated by fear they were motivated by stupidity, who would catch 10 stingrays cut the tails off and leave them in a pile on the jetty because they were scared of getting stung?

imo they need a good 1970's education where the local sgt is the teacher if you know what i mean

nadders wrote:

why even remove the barb instead of just letting it go?

these guys werent motivated by fear they were motivated by stupidity, who would catch 10 stingrays cut the tails off and leave them in a pile on the jetty because they were scared of getting stung?

imo they need a good 1970's education where the local sgt is the teacher if you know what i mean

good point...

yeah those numbnuts need that i reckon...

Pretty dumb when the poor old stingray put up a good fight too!

Man I've been to Wivenhoe plenty of times over hot summers to fish soley for the big catfish for the fight (and assured catch!). Every one is released too (except for ones kept for bait). Unless it is a declared pest, they should go back (unless for bait and eating)

noname wrote:

i don't want to be educated on fishing, just want to catch something, reguardless of what it was, if i can take it home and eat it, all good, if i can't i leave it on the jetty for every1 else to see what is being caught or mame it and throw it back.

as for policing! well if some1 approaches me, i didn't catch em, the fella b 4 me did i guess? so how do you police that. simple, you can't.

so maybe a system like they have down the coast on the sand pumping jetty, you pay to use the facilities and someone always watching, can vitrually pay for itself. with the $3.00 to walk along and fish somewhere and fines? it won't stop this behavior all together, but would be able to control it. when it all comes down to it, the majority of people who give a damn are those with a head on their shoulders. hint, hint.

rob

I resectfully ask you to read the cattie thread and then tell me people don't need education?

Whether they want it or not it's needed! and if you get pulled up with out a license you get fined, If you have a license and get it through a (for example) simple online qwiz it could just be the difference?

I'm not stupid and I know it wont work for every one but it's a step in the right direction and could make people who don't think there doing anything wrong reconcider there actions.

Just my thoughts what do you recon:)

Whiskers wrote:

noname wrote:

rob

I resectfully ask you to read the cattie thread and then tell me people don't need education?

Whether they want it or not it's needed! and if you get pulled up with out a license you get fined, If you have a license and get it through a (for example) simple online qwiz it could just be the difference?

I'm not stupid and I know it wont work for every one but it's a step in the right direction and could make people who don't think there doing anything wrong reconcider there actions.

i had a read of that thread, and nothing new that i have not seen before. just wondering how you would propose to educate a person who fishes once or twice a year and kills everything they catch? obviously not going to listen to a word spoken! and people know my views on salt water fishing licences. it's a hard call. and there will always be that group that kill everything reguardless of what they are told, tought, advised against doing. wombles will be wombles!

everyone has the freedom to make their own choices in my opinion i feel no sympathy for people who commit acts like this

tons and tons of people who have had bad upbringings would not consider doing anything like this, in my opinion its not the upbringing its the lack of a head on the shoulders as noname said

my honest opinion is that thankfully alot of these people also make terrible decisions in other areas and often evolution does its job on them sooner or later :dry: sadly it also affects others all too often

noname wrote:

Whiskers wrote:
noname wrote:

rob

i had a read of that thread, and nothing new that i have not seen before. just wondering how you would propose to educate a person who fishes once or twice a year and kills everything they catch? obviously not going to listen to a word spoken! and people know my views on salt water fishing licences. it's a hard call. and there will always be that group that kill everything reguardless of what they are told, tought, advised against doing. wombles will be wombles!

Well if you don't have a licence you might not fish as you will be worried about being fined, If you do have a licence you will have had to do like I sudgested a short online course and I'm not saying it will fix the problem alltogether but once again like I mentioned it might make a few relise there doing the wrong thing like in the cattie thread

Now if your reading this and you know who you are, this is not a slam on you mate I honestly beleive that you thought you were doing the right thing now you know better you might not continue what you were doing.

This is the difference that can be made noname.

nadders wrote:

everyone has the freedom to make their own choices in my opinion i feel no sympathy for people who commit acts like this

tons and tons of people who have had bad upbringings would not consider doing anything like this, in my opinion its not the upbringing its the lack of a head on the shoulders as noname said

my honest opinion is that thankfully alot of these people also make terrible decisions in other areas and often evolution does its job on them sooner or later :dry: sadly it also affects others all too often

Your right mate my mum raised me well but I still was a little shit:lol:

Archived