Maroon Dam 26/04/2009

wrenchman

Took a trip to Maroon Dam today , caught a couple of nice little fish and then

for something a bit different i hooked myself in the leg with a treble , Tried everything i could to get it out ... my pliers were that blunt i couldnt even cut the lure off ... spotted a father and son fishing up in the dead tree section so i headed up to them , borrowed some pliers ,cut the 2 prongs off that werent in my leg "LOL" .. still couldnt get it out ... headed back to my car ,loaded the tinny up and headed home ,, got out a needle and a razor blade and after a bit of sweating ,,actually a lot of sweating ..out came the hook .. :)

Gday mate

Best way to deal with a treble in the arm if the barb is in ya, is to push it all the way through so the barb sticks out again.

Cut the treble below the barb (wire cutters on the pliers normally do the job!) and then pull the barbless hook back through.

Ask Angus how much easier it is :P

Yeah it can be a bit problematic getting them out.

My advice, if its not somewhere delicate, like your face or near veins etc, by all means have a go at getting it out yourself, But if possible take the treble off the lure first! Otherwise your quite likely to pull that one out and sink the other in!

Just press down so your pushing the hook away from the barb and go the big "reef" backwards.

By the way anything but small trebles are almost impossible to cut through the hook shank, particulary if you are only using one hand because the barbs are embedded somewhere in an arm.

kreel wrote:

This sounds too gruesome not to have a photo of it. Show us the blood!

There wasnt any blood , well hardly any . once i removed the lure from the trebble it didnt hurt much either .. i have a pic of it after i had cut the other 2 barbs off , i need to work out how to reduce the size of the pic so i can put it on here . [img size=800]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/RES01028-8304a81c847e9010f3f1e6e61cfe322d.JPG

• 1 month later...

wrenchman wrote:

Think i have worked out how to resize my pics , so i can add some pics now . first one is a little blury.lol

Hey mate have a look at this:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum?func=view&catid=21&id=20545

Cheers.

Angus

Archived