Tuna Action - 26-04-09

Boydy

Julz is at it again.

Headed out with Julz on Sunday around Old Woman Island. Trolled some X-Wraps around for and came up gold with a nice Yellow Fin Tuna.

Julz wrestled this in on one of the new reels I got for my 30th from Angus, Tanya, John, Ellen and Tom. Cheers!

Reel was a 4000 Phleugar Supreme loaded with 30lb braid. Needless to say it was a good fight with lots of long runs.

Boydy [img size=300]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/tuna-07c5aa508d56497b9f82697b5795dde7.JPG

Nice fish!

I just got off the phone with one of my mooloolah contacts (Cheers Beau!) Apparently he was out there in the yak for a while trying to get some of the yellowfin to hook up. He could see them all around him at times, but didn't get any luck. Tried trolling through them with big lures for a while, then throwing 10gram slugs through them, then 5 gram slugs and couldn't entice a hit.

Bugger!

So nice catch with yours Julz! Definitely a nice tuna :)

Nice tuna. Looks around 10-12kg to me. Very good return of meat off them though. Great marinated and BBQ, and tasty sashimi also.

I could be wrong as it is not east to tell from the photo, but I think it is a longtail, not a yellowfin. Longtails have some yellow around the tail scutes, but yellowfin have yellow bars on the sides also.

Jeremy

great tuna , well done!!! :):) do you know how long it was, at a guestamation i would say 10kg if its 90cm long so 10-12 is a close guess i reckon , no matter the weight its a great capture and i hope it went into the tuna circles down deep to make it that bit harder :laugh: :laugh:

Archived