New in Brissie - where to fish?

rawkus

Hi!

Just moved to Brisbane after studying for 1 year in Melbourne, and before that - leaving my home ground; Sweden.

Now to the question:

Been dying to fish!

I live in central Brissie and I am looking for spots that are land/shore based. Reachable by train, bus and/or ferry is also a must.

Have heard about heading towards Gold Coast with train...

Where would you guys recommend me to go?

Freshwater and saltwater spots both very welcomed :)

Many thanks/Tony

If you catch the train there are a few options. Note the structures are fine at all tides, but beaches really only a few hours each side of high tide, there are extensive mud flats at low tide.

North side of town

Well if you catch the train to Shorncliffe, it is about a 700m walk to the sandgate jetty, or about 350m to cabbage tree creek which has a small jetty, you can then work the foreshore from here all the way around to the jetty, lots of rock walls and other structure.

south side of town,

Catching the train to Lota is the closest you can get to the bay, about 200m to the beach, or if you dont mind walking a little further get off at Manly and walk down to the boat harbour its about 700m to the rock walls. (Or you can do both, about 1.5k apart)

If you want to fish Raby Bay, (a canal system) go right through to Cleveland (end of the line). The train station is right opposite the back of the canal system, its about a 1km walk to the outlet and park.

Hi Rawkus, welcome to the sight. Is that an albino barra in your avatar?

Have a good dig through the reports archive, you'll pick up heaps about different techniques and locations that work all over SEQ. When you find a report that tickles your fancy, you can either PM the author questions or just add a post to the thread to do the same as the author would typically be subscribed to it. Added a post is generally the best way to go as you can bet there are plently of other ppl who have the same Q's:P

cheersB)

Gerty_92: Kinnda aiming at using live/dead baitfish... and small lures :)

Feral: Great info! Thax heaps! :)

werewolf: The picture is of a northern pike. Our by far most popular angling species back home in Sweden :)

Sorry about creating a new post, was kindda in a hurry :)

well in the brissy area u can catch a city cat to bretts wharf and fish live/dead baits off the public pontoon there...theres a sign saying \"no fishing\" but nobody really cares...sometimes party boats may turn up and if u just reel in ur lines and move ur gear to one side they dont really mind and will probably even ask u if uve caught anything...etc...also you can flick small lures around that whole area either off the jetty or off the bank and u will catch things like, cod, bream, flathead, and recently gt's...good luck

Gerty_92: Thax...again mate :)

With live bait, do I have to use a net or can I just angle for some with pieces of bread? In Sweden we usually get the bait fish with i small rod and use bread as bait.. Also, fishing at Bretts Wharf, would you recommend bottom or floating?

Sorry bout all the silly questions, but starting my fishing career in Australia, is like learning how to ride a bike all over again :D

Cant wait for my next salary so I can get started!!!

Cheers

Post edited by: rawkus, at: 2007/01/27 15:49

Yeah you can catch your livies on a hook, probablt better with worms rather than bread. (Gerty is right, Bread will disappear off your hook to quick)but be careful some of the fish you will catch will have a minimum size, particularly bream (which make great livies, but make the fisheries inspector get out his notebook!)

Feral: Thanks buddy. Didnt think about the issue with size when catching bait :)

So I should probably aim at getting a cast net (have never tried one!!:))

Im sure me using a cast net the first time, would be a classic anyday on \"Australias Funniest Homevideos\" :)

Must say that I am getting really hyped after reading about great fishing so nearby!! Woohoo! :)

Is it still license free fishing if not fishing in/at dams??

Archived