Brissie River Mouth Sun 31-5-09

Malcolm

Finally got a chance to take the tinnie out Sunday.

Went from Pinkenba ramp about 6.30 and went out to the rock wall out the front.

The River itself was brown as with the outgoing tide but out the front the water was quite clean.

Ancored up and floated out a Pillie and bang not 2 minutes later landed a nice 50ish Cod then next cast a pillie again I landed a nice little Chopper just legal :) Then it was pickers after that so I went around to the pipe and managed a few under sized Squire.

I here some bloke yelling my name I thought what the and it was noname so I found out when he came over to say gday good on ya Rob hope you got a few. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-18b30ced064747625d6d324018c13f8a.jpg

post-1567-144598495418_thumb.jpg

mate was that sounder reading from the pipeline area?

i get that every time i go there and have no idea what it is, occasionally it will just show a constant line and other times it looks like 100's of big fish stacking up on each other. is always at the pipeline there have seen it every time and i'm 100% sure its not fish. weird hey?

Sounder readings at anchor don't mean a lot and its very common to have really good looking shows when you are over very little. This happens all the time in deep water. You candrive over a patch that has virtually noithing showing on it but if you anchor up the sounder will light up.

The best way to explain it is that sounders display a one not two dimensional image. i.e. If you are stationery (at anchor and not swinging around too much, any object no matter how small will produce a solid line accoss the screen.) In other words unless you are moving as pixels appear along the x axis of the screen it is likely to be the return from the same object being refreshed to the screen again and again.

God I am crap at explaining things. What I just wrote is a pretty crap explanation but hopefully someon gets what I meant.

the line is a bit thick isnt it, and wouldnt you expect tidal flow to move whatever it is out of view of the sounder?

what i see at the pipeline seems to be very consistant over the same spot, i move 10m away and anchor and the sounder is clear, come back next week to the first spot and it looks like a hundred big fish crammed in like a tokyo apartment block again

the depth of the showings seem to vary too, sometimes it basically fills up surface to bottom and other times its concentrated around midwater, etc

really baffling i will take some pics next time im out to show you what i mean

that thought crossed my mind (swaying structure) but then you would expect to snag some on your lines dropped right under the boat wouldnt ya, and you wouldn't expect it to change all that much in nature i.e depth/whatever

seems to me like some kind of interference localised to the area as i cant figure out what else it would be

it looks a lot like hardy head schools. when we are in 6m or so off peel (and can see them with the eye) the sounder looks very similar to that. also get a similar effect when a lot of weed is pushing through, you can usually see that on the end of your line though. being around the end of the rock wall it could be either, there is often massive schools of hardy heads around there. maybe try throwing the cast net next time mate... :P:P:P

nice cod by the way malcom! good feed in that!

benno573 wrote:

it looks a lot like hardy head schools. when we are in 6m or so off peel (and can see them with the eye) the sounder looks very similar to that. also get a similar effect when a lot of weed is pushing through, you can usually see that on the end of your line though. being around the end of the rock wall it could be either, there is often massive schools of hardy heads around there. maybe try throwing the cast net next time mate... :P:P:P

nice cod by the way malcom! good feed in that!

thats right , all so the pike are thick around these spots and are fairly large schools at times.

could be hardyheads i guess but i dont think pike, if there were schools of pike down there i am fairly sure minus sized herring/pilchards/etc would not get left untouched for lengthy periods lol.

next time i will throw the cast net and see what happens (hopefully not hardyheads! lol)

Remember too that when your boat is not moving across the water and is sitting at anchor, it may pick up a scrap of something let's say at 3m under the boat. As the back of your boat is lifted up and down by the wave action by say half a metre, that object goes from being 2.75 to 3.25 m under the trasnducer. As that charts across the screen, you'll get a rhythmic wave across the screen. Hope that makes sense.

Archived