Horizon 5.25 Northerner

kc_ksom

G'day Guys

I havent posted here before, but I was wondering if any body has seen or had anything to do with 5.25 Horizon Northerner (The Green Machine) 70 hp yamaha, thats sitting in the yard at Currumbin Marine. I have just brought (subject to final inspection) this boat and will be taking for a spin on Saturday for its final inspection. Im thinking this motor may be under powered, the guy selling the boat said the owner says it flys, it seemed a little funny as the boat plate rating was only a 60hp, I have talked to the guys at Horizon factory who said they will up rate the plate to suit the HP gain so that will fix any insurance probs, But what do you guys reckon 5.25 tinny full floor, cast decks, under floor fuel tank 70hp Yamaha. Awesome looking boat, I think me and the family will enjoy it. Im just wondering about 70hp..

Ohh any body have anything to do with Yamaha 2 storke motors, how are they, expensive to run, noisey, etc.. I have just come out of a injected 40hp 4 stroke which I loved, but the boat was just to small..

Am looking forward to Saturday..

Regards

Casey H

when you go for the watertest, make sure it's full of fuel, not just 20 ltrs thrown in, take the family along, this will give an indication of how it will perform. also check the prop for size pitch, guessing it should be around the 15 inch mark, as some ppl will change a prop to give a false impression, just saying! a smaller prop will give holeshot performance, and no top end, and to big a blade will give it no holeshot performance and a good cruise speed, but make it thirsty try it with just 2 ppl and see if it bounces off the limiter, guessing the tacho if fitted should max out around the 5500-5700 mark.

rob

mate if it is rated to 60hp and it has a 70hp on it don't buy it. It's hard to walk away from a boat buy but be strong, you'll find something better.

I think you may regret going back to a smelly 2 stoke, Etec yes but old 2st technology is out dated.

hey guys

Well the boat was friggen awesome, I have no complaints at all, the boat is great in nearly every way, Yes I have gone back to a 2 stroke, but you know it was just a little smoke on start up, then it cleared and it was great. there was plenty of power, we had the dog 50kg, me 110kg, Mrs ??kg ha ha, 3 kids 80kg, full load of fuel 60ltrs, bimini was up, esky with drinks and ice, dry cloths in case, all safty jackets as req, fishing gear, etc etc. Planning was easy, top speed was 56km of the GPS in windy conditions (tweed heads) @ 5600 rpm, there was a fair bit of chop too, we diddnt get wet at ALL, in my explorer trophy we would of been wet or at least sprayed with water a few times. I was very happy..

Post a pic soon..

Casey

Oh Brian D

Yes it was rated to a 60hp, but I had HORIZON BOATs re plate it to a 70hp so its now legal, so all is good.

Archived