fishing in the rain

fisherjack1394

nad a nice session in the rain last mon morning mate and caught over 20 bream - 17 legal, with two big bust-offs. could be because i fish with 4lb line and 2 lb leader. a lot depends on where you are fishing and when. eg if your fishing in a river like the pine or brissy - then a little bit of fresh wont hurt because the fresh water floats on top of the heavier salt water. but if you're fishing the flats then pretty much all the fish are gornded out to deeper water. which is good if you know where there's a few holes about - cause chances are that they'll be hanging around waiting for the tide to turn and bring the salt water back in so they can make a dash up onto shallower water. a quick way to tell if there's a lot of fresh where you're fishin is to simply wash a bit around in your mouth. would'nt advise to drink it :) but it helps when it's low tide and it tastes more fresh than salt - you'll probabley only catch a good feed of catties, eels, mullet or bullies. having said that. more often than not you'll find if your in a boat that drifting with the brackish water line will produce a zone where fish are picking up a feed as this is where the prawns and other bait and most salt water fish can live without to much stress. could'nt tell you if there are any other special weather conditions, as that would take all the fun out of discovering all the joys of fishing locally :) however there is a great site that allows you to use a piece of software that uses tables based on tides, solar and lunar positions. commonly reffered to solunar. the site link www.fishingreminder.com/index.php.

the best part about the site is having reminders sent to your email to remind you of best times to fish in your area.

HTH :)

• 4 weeks later...

Mate I have found over the years that fishing when the water is like glass is a waste of time. I barely even get bites. However with a little swell around it picks up quite a bit. I have also had past experiences going straight out after a storm and the fish seem to be stirred up and have loads of success there. Also Flattie seem to like it better when it is a bit rougher. But again this is just what I have had. It could all be down to luck though B)

Archived