mud monday

Tiny Tin

got the boat back after two weeks had been in for suspected suzuki probs..ended up being twisted fuel line. anyway we left the ramp at about 6am and headed to the poo chute to get some livies.. got a great mullet bout 150mm long a few herring and a gar..when putting the gar in the bait tank the mullet jumped out..onto the duck board and into the water before i could net him. oh well off we go to mud. bit choppy but thought we'd put the hammer down so full throttle to see if the suzie was ok. 6000 revs and about 65kph couldn't do it for long as the chop had us flying a few times and the ol back couldn't take it..boat and engine great. we anchored on the western tip and caught zip the water was choppy and the forecast .7m waves was about right but they're tireless buggers and we bounced around a bit. thinking this is gonna be crap we moved a fair bit catching baby snaps still with nappies on em. found a bit of ground in 10 m so baited up and started a bit of berly going. bit of a tap on the pillie then whack..squire on..then another then another all going between 30 and 35cms. after a catching few i tried one against the tape just shy of 35cm squeeze the tail together around 35.5cms..what to do..threw it back. martin was keeping the pickers away during this then for some reason it went quite my side and martin got into the bigger squire..same as me for a while then a keeper around 37cm hooray :silly: things went quiet so we moved to another spot and found a few more baby squire. the livies were doing nothing..had one run..but was dropped before i could strike. brought the bait in and it was fine not a mark on it? whilst i was looking at the gps for another likely spot martin threw out an Sp and got another squire of 36cms. i sent out a pillie tail on a 6/0 and after a few taps i struck to catch a whiting of about 27cm..firtst time on a 6/0..the hook went in threw the outside of the mouth so i got lucky. nothing doing after that so with the wind going one way and the current the other we slowly drifted around..slowly. martin flicked out the sp (me too) and landed a flattie around 55cms or so. the day light went and so did the bites. we had a feed and were a bit cold..especially me toes. this trip was a complete reversal to our last trip with martin catching all the keepers this time bar the whiting. we had a good day caught a feed and if the size limit was the old 30cm we'd have bagged out easy. not bad seeing as all the fish caught we're caught between midday and 3pm? seems the fish are around but you have to keep moving to keep on em..but like whiting fishing..20 minutes then nothing so move to find em again. well that's how it went yesterday. :) sorry no photo's coz the camera has a stuffed battery and we were too dim to think of the phone?? :blush:

sounds like fun, were you there for the morning chop? we headed out front at 6am ish and the ride over was pretty rough lol.

did the pike find you at the front wall, we ended up getting pike after pike on slugs for about 15 minutes, they'd hit before you could even wind the slack in lol. was fun even though they're pike, and i cooked a few up they tasted great :D

nadders wrote:

sounds like fun, were you there for the morning chop? we headed out front at 6am ish and the ride over was pretty rough lol.

did the pike find you at the front wall, we ended up getting pike after pike on slugs for about 15 minutes, they'd hit before you could even wind the slack in lol. was fun even though they're pike, and i cooked a few up they tasted great :D

yeah we were flying through that chop..but not for long :ohmy: we flew past the wall and saw two or three boats..i did take a look around the pipeline on the way to the poo chute coz i read you'd be going out..didn't think you'd be out the front..dunno why? and we didn't take too much notice as we were trying out the suzie. we were at the boat ramp at 5.30am but turned back coz of the wind..thought green or peel might be a better option..changed our minds again and tried to make up for lost time. we get chatting to a bloke in tackle warehouse and he's told us he's getting some good squire and sweetlip to 70cm at peel. to be honest we bobbed about a fair bit at mud and i thought...shoulda gone to peel lol :S

AZZA wrote:

Tiny Tin wrote:
martin got into the bigger squire..same as me for a while then a keeper around 37cm hooray :silly: :blush:

Hey Tim I am pretty sure the min size for snapper is 38cm :blink:

My bad , I just checked and they are still 35cm :blush: and all this time I have been working on 38cm for keepers

we would have been one of those boats on the front, probably the furthest away from the river mouth. was only 1-2 other boats there when we were there, from about 6am->8am

i dont mind the wall out there i reckon on a better tide it'd fish pretty well, been some nice reports from there in the past anyway!

AZZA wrote:

AZZA wrote:
Tiny Tin wrote:
martin got into the bigger squire..same as me for a while then a keeper around 37cm hooray :silly: :blush:

Hey Tim I am pretty sure the min size for snapper is 38cm :blink:

My bad , I just checked and they are still 35cm :blush: and all this time I have been working on 38cm for keepers

AZZA..we bought some up to date stickers and whacked em on the boat. we used to let em go when offshore fishing at that size but they're in short supply in the bay :P well for us anyway. i remember going to mini waters and catching heaps of em. bloke with us was going off at me coz i kept throwing em back. legal size in qld was 30cm..in nsw it was 28cm..there was a bag limit of 30 each back then and we could have filled the boat with em :) great place to fish..beach launch behind some rocks..drive 300m off the beach to a wreck..catch heaps of slimies then head about 5k offshore and you were among the reef that was thick with these squire. there's still some ground to fish even tho the green zones have taken up huge chunks of it. cheers

Archived