Queensland Parliment E-Petition

Angus

Thought a few people here would be interested in this E-Petition.

CURRENT E-PETITION
/>http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=1268

Posting Date: 16/07/2009

Closing Date: 30/10/2009

Do you wish to sign this E-Petition?

TO: The Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of Queensland

Queensland residents draws to the attention of the House that since 1 March 2009 recreational fishers have been unfairly excluded from fishing in some of the best fishing grounds (the green zones) of Moreton Bay.

Your petitioners, therefore, request the House to immediately amend the government's Moreton Bay Marine Park Plan to allow recreational fishers to fish with one line per person in these fish-rich areas (the green zones). Further, we request the government to make available in a clear and transparent manner all of the science used in the decision to stop recreational fishing in the green zones of Moreton Bay, and to conduct a more rigorous and independent study of the fish stocks.

Yeah I think if anyone is serious about this they should take the time to have a read.

Imagine all the anglers who dont get online, or dont get online and take the time to search for this kind of thing. Thats why the signing rate would be so low. We need to utilise mediums such as this site to get it out there!

Not saying everyone has to agree with it either. But its good to be informed and know whats going on.

Angus

this petition is worded to allow all anglers back into green zones with 1 line per person whith no exeption what about swan bay that has been green for 40yrs or the pumicstone passage etc do we really want access to all these zones again or is the petition not worded right. i believe in the green and yellow zones myself and without giving them a chance to see any results the state oposition has backed access back into all green zones. this is just my opinion but i would like to let it be and see in a few years if the fishing improves through out the rest of moreton bay. with millions of people forecast to settle on the doorstep of the bay i hope these regulations allow for great fishing into the future for our kids as well

mark

I'm writing an assignment at university based around this very petition at the moment.. I'm with Tugga.. Im all for the zones. We are more or less currently on the honour system for fishing these zones as is. Policing one fishing line PP would be even harder. The zones are about sustainable fishing for the future and protecting habitat & fish stocks. Human influence of any measure always has an impact.

Scientific studies were done that proved fish stocks in Moreton Bay were depleting along with habitats. Something needed to be done so it's time we saw the bigger picture and didn't just think about our fishing short term. As we have learnt from every endangered species on this planet. If you continue to destroy habitats then numbers continue to dwindle. If things remained unchanged then in twenty years my kids will never have the chance to catch any fish in the Bay and the whole SEQ fishing industry wont exist either. Prevention is the best cure.

Only my opinion.

Chris

Archived