Hornibrook Haul...

Cliffy

Almost forgot to post this one (only 5 days late)! So last Friday I get home from work and the young fella's all hoppin' around and excited 'cause he's had a look at the tides and it's dead low around 8:00pm - and that's his favourite tide state/time to fish the Hornibrook Bridge. Sigh, what's a bloke to do...half an hour later and we're on our way (dinner? who needs to eat when you can go fishing instead?).:woohoo:

In the mad rush to get out we may in fact have gone slightly over the top with the amount of gear we took, a fact that I really only appreciate when we arrive and I'm staring down the barrel of a walk halfway along the bridge with 5 rods, 2 tackle boxes, the bait bucket, 4 litres of beverages, various snackfoods and 2 collapsible chairs!:unsure:

Some time later (and feeling much like Hillary after climbing Everest) we arrive at Spot X, and while trying to set up my first rod (you notice I didn't say TORCH in the gear list?:pinch: ) the young fella's dangled a whole squidly-diddly on a ganged set of 4/0's over the edge and his rod goes absolutely ballistic! He's keen and finally gets to the bridge a nice stingray around 3 feet across. Oookay - back to setting up gear...finally get my first rod in 10 minutes later (after the little bugger's caught another, slightly smaller stingray and re-baited) and busy setting up another when mine goes off, as well as the young fella's. Soon we're locked in a double pitched battle with, as it turned out, a decent shovelnose (me) and a huge (and I mean HUGE) catfish. By now we've got all five rods working when panic sets in...first one rod, then another, and then a third all zzzzzzzzz into action!:woohoo: That was a very entertaining five minutes as I almost did myself a mischief trying to handle two at once while the young fella bought another good-sized shovelnose in. At last relief as he grabs a rod and starts working it, and we both land 2 more good-size shovelnoses.

The twist in the tale was half an hour (of no activity) later, when out of sheer devilment:evil: I put out 3 whole squid on a ganged set of 5/0's on wire trace while I was breaking the gear down ready to go. Sure enough, within minutes of setting the line it took off - like, really took off. Couldn't slow it down. Then I thought it'd thrown the hooks as the line went slack, only to find that it'd turned and was swimming towards me:ohmy: ! Few minutes of this and it turned one last time and simply stripped the spool. Nothing, like really nothing I tried even slightly slowed this thing down...it simply took all my line and damn near stripped the bearings on the reel. Can't wait to get back and try again...:evil:

PS - The young fella's school had a parent/teacher meeting the other night, and according to the version he told his teacher, we landed whatever the hell this thing was and it was 15 feet long...I guess p'raps there is a fishermans gene that's passed on, eh?:whistle:

Post edited by: Cliffy, at: 2007/02/28 20:39

Brian D wrote:

What a good report Cliffy. The you fella must have got the gens from mum cause as I understand it all your stories are true>;)

Bridge fishing is one of my favourite types of fishing. :)

Reckon I could've had a great career as a used car salesman, or maybe something to do with the insurance game!!:laugh:

Cliffy wrote:

Brian D wrote:
What a good report Cliffy. The you fella must have got the gens from mum cause as I understand it all your stories are true>;)

Bridge fishing is one of my favourite types of fishing. :)

Reckon I could've had a great career as a used car salesman, or maybe something to do with the insurance game!!:laugh:

Either one or a Politician

Archived