weekend at sth stradie

tugger

had a top weekend with the kids camping and fishing at sth stradie and run into a couple of afo members who hadn't been down that way before on saturday. showed the guys some spots around the pimpama river and they got a nice flathead and tailor but my fishing was a bit slow in my boat that day.we kept giging each other boat crew which was better real baits or plastic things it was good for a laugh but alas the afo boys had to head home after a big day for them on the water. sunday started early for fathers day for me and my 2 kids before the boat traffic ruined a good bite on bream near couran cove with my 8yr old girl landing a 35cm. so we moved up into the pimpama againn with the start of the run in tide we used yabbies on the edge of a yabbie bank. the water was only 1m deep where we were casting and my 10yr old son landed a nice summer whiting going 32cm. i got another 30cm whiting then in quick time the boy was onto another nice bream. things slowed so we went back to our camp with a feed in the esky the kids got to spoil the dads on the island with a big table of tucker before leaving our little patch of paridise to head home.

mark

nice work tugger, we were at currigee only a few minutes south of you for the last two nights, we were going to stay again tonight but all of a sudden it was just my family and then a group af lads rocked up that looked very sus to me, they were checking out my boats and i was staying in a self contained unit 100metres from them so we decided to pack up and leave, but I must say after the weather forecasts we had coming into the weekend what a couple of glorious days we ended up having ey?

there's a few public camp grounds on sth stradie and yes there's a fee but i don't know about the bedrooms, tipplers passage has 1 and further south at currigee near crab island is another but i would have to say that the tipplers 1 offers more protection from any wind direction the nearest boat ramp for this 1 would be jacobs well

mark

Some nice fish there, but I notice an absence of flathead which I am happy about as it means more for me ;-)

Henry - There are fees to camp on South Straddie. From memory I think its about $18 per person per night or so. Probably a fair price if you are camped at the Bedrooms with toilets, showers, and bins but if you camp any further North then its a walk even to the bins. But the price is still the same.

Psssttt... The ranger collects the money on a quad bike. He rides up the middle of the island and then comes down the inland beach side to collect fees. If you are not at your camp shorthly after you hear a quad bike, then a bit hard to collect money isnt it?

Just wondering if you don't camp at either of the camping grounds and just pull up on the beach does a camping fee or permit still need to be purchased.

Also can you pre-purchase camping at the bedroom etc or do you just pay when the ranger comes around?

cheers,

we camp at the boat club with hot showers and toilets, bbq area , generator and lots more if anyone is interested we have our own web site www.boatclub.org.au its not for everyone but if you love camping and boats its a great mix on the web site are plenty of photos

mark

Yeah i understand that but we didn't want to be a annoy fellow campers if we decided to have a few drinks, hence why i was considering camping away from the designated camping grounds. From what i understand you need to see the ranger and pay the daily/nighly fee. We only plan on going for one night other wise i would consider hot showers etc.

Archived