Ebay \"no name\" Lures - my experiences

Feral

I noticed Ray made a comment about the quality of Ebay lures in a thread, and thought I should probably give people a run down of my experiences.

I have bought probably 40 or 50 lures off Ebay, all in sets.

The big advantage of course is price, they are usually landed at your door for under $2 a lure. Compared to brand name lures, thats a lot of lures for your money.

What I have found is that it can be pretty hit and miss, none of them are the equivilant of a Rapalla or other big price name brand for quality.

Does that matter? well no not if the lure swims well, catches fish, and does not rust!

Is that the case? sometimes.

Out of the lures I bought I would have to say about 60 to 70% of them are usable. That is mainly because I had 2 lots of lures that were useless, a set of Cod lures that are so light they just bounce along on the surface, and a set of bibless crankbaits that have no weight in the head so just skip along the surface like a popper! Take those out of the equation and the success rate is considerably better.

The minnows I have bought have almost all swum well, (2 that did not out of 30 odd), and the set of poppers I bought also perform well. The spinner baits I have bought I have not tried yet, but I was less than impressed to find the skirts came loose in the pack, with no instruction on how to fit them. The hooks themselves look ok.

A few of the lures have shown some indication of rust on the hooks, but since I started washing the salt off them after use in the ocean that does not seem to have re-occured.

Strength? Well I caught my first Barra at Lenthalls on an ebay minnow, no problems, originals hooks etc. (Ferg, a very experienced lure fisherman, told me not to worry about upgrading hooks and rings etc, he said anyone who has hooks straightened or rings pulled out should loosen off the drag and let it do it's job!)

So my impression?

Yeah I think buying lures of Ebay is worthwhile, particularly if your starting out like I was. Expect a degree of wastage, but if your learning you will probably loose more to snags than what comes as a dud.

Its like buying cheap tools, when you break one, then you can replace it with a better quality one. If you dont break it, then it is good enough for the job!

Also its fun watching Angus sacrifice $25 lures to the Barra, whilst your only risking a $2 lure!

• 1 month later...

as i want to learn to use hardbodies i myself plan to buy from ebay my first purchase is angel of death 5 pack of 5cm poppers but will be buying minnows etc as well as i see i will probably loose quite a few in snags and so forth and replace with better as times go on, ... i started my apprenticeship with supa tool and hand me down tools now i have only snap-on so i know what your saying

I CAN TELL YOU TWO SPOT ON SUPPLIERS OF CHEAP LURES, ONE IS \"PALM FISHING\" THE OTHER IS \"BLUEWATER FISHING\"

SOMEONE WAS AYING THAT THEY DO NOT RESEMBLE RAPALA'S, WELL I CAN TELL YOU THAT I BOUGHT SOME 230MM HARD BODIES , PUT A GENUINE RAPALA BESIDE IT AND THEY WERE EXCACTLY THE SAME, YOU COULD NOT TELL THE DIFFERENCE, SAME COLOUR, SIZE, SWIMMING ACTION, THE CHEAP ONES EVEN HAD BETTER HOOKS IN THEM, IF IT WASNT FOR THE RAPALA SIMBLE ON THE BIB IT WOULD BE IMMPOSSABLE TO TELL THEM APART, NOT JUST THAT BUT THE FIRST TIME I TROLLED THE 230MM IMPORT I HOOKED ONTO A BIG YELLOWFIN TUNA, SO DONT WORRY ABOUT BRAND NAMES ANYMORE, GET SOME LURES OFF EBAY FROM THE TWO SUPPLIERS I HAVE MENTIONED AND YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED

I HAVE THEIR EMAIL ADDRESS AND MOBILE NUMBER

admin@palmfishing.com AND MOBLIS NO 0432 495 883

I GOT A CARD DELIVERED WITH MY LAST ORDER THEY ARE IMPORTERS OF \"LURESTREET\"IF YOU ARE ON EBEY PUT IN PALM FISHING UNDER COMMUNITY AND THEY SHOULD COME UP, UNLESS THEY ARENT SELLING RIGHT AT THIS MOMENT

FERAL I JUST HAD A LOOK AND THE HARDBODIES WERE FROM PALMFISHING, IF YOU GO TO EBAY UNDER COMMUNITY , WRITE IN palmfishing888 THAN GO TO THEIR FEEDBACK , AND FOLLOW IT THROUGH TO THE 04-APR THAN YOU WILL SEE CHIPPEE4132, THE SAME USER NAME THERE TOO, AND CLICK ON ITEM AND YOU WILL SEE THE LURES, THEY ARE DEFFINATLY WORTH THE BUY, ABSOLUTE BARGAIN

The only experence Ive had is with the MAL FLORENCE bass/trout lures . They swim well and work on bream.Havent realy tried out the Angles Of Death one yet.

On another note(maybe of topic) I just brought 10 lure boxs in a bulk buy off E-bay. I got them for Glenda to tidy up the draws. Any left over will be put on the site for what they cost me. 12 compartment adjustable.

Not out to rip anybody off,

Archived