fishing at Gold Coast

tdawg

hey,

Next sat/sun i will be staying at the gold coast with my dad at the Sheritan. I was wondering where the best spots in GC are for a) Luring for bream etc

B) fishing at night for sharks or largish fish

I can be driven around to anywhere in area. I was thinking of hiring like a canoe or kayak during day to flick in canals, but only if there is actually fish there!I have a cast net for when we fish at night, but not sure if a specific bait is better. does anyone know of any places where you can rent yak/canoe, perhaps even tinny and would it be worth it.

thanx tim

Post edited by: tdawg, at: 2007/03/18 21:17

Mate my Gold coast knowledge is limited.

But something that comes out of enarly every successful gold coast report is fish the Pontoons in the Canals (as in cast towards them) and fish bridge pilons in the bigger water bodies.

Good luck and hopefully we will see some awesome pictures.

Angus

bream can be found in all waterways on the gold coast- they're probably the dominant species in the canals. the nerang river fishes well right up to the fresh but probably the best place is behind the council chambers- you get big elbow slapper whiting on soldier crabs and yabbies- live bait is best. the southport seaway breakwall fishes best at night and it's here you'll get your sharks- a balloon float with live bait will get you a bullie for sure- they're as numerous there as in the brisbane river. fishing with pilchards off the sand pumping jetty on the spit could catch you a tailor, trevally or flathead but the tailor are seasonal. a live bait should work well on flathead pretty much anywhere. flicking for bream around any structure will produce fish. i think jewfish are coming into season but it still might be a bit early for them. don't bother with the broadwater- it's pretty much fished out and it's scientifically proven that it's one of the windiest places on earth. hinze dam is good for bass but no point bait fishing as you'll just catch a million banded grunter.

Archived