Tyrnos 20 and ........?

fishguru5

hi all. i dnt know if anyone can help me with this BUT i went too charltons fishing sale on the weeknd and picked up a tyrnos 20 for $304 what a bargain :woohoo: AND got it spooled with 800 metres of 30 lb fins :woohoo: all up cost 429 bucks again :woohoo: could anyone help me pick a decent rod? i am using this set-up for offshore bottom bashing from 70 metres to anything around 300 metres.

thanks pat

Tyrnos 20 is a great reel but can get a little on the heavy side during a long session. I have a couple of 20's and 30's as dedicated rolling reels. A 12 or 16 would be my pick as even a 12 can hold 300m of 50lb braid plus backing which is enough fo most situations as not too many people bottome fish in anything over about 120m too often. Having said all of that it will still serve you well. I had a 20 as my first offshore reel.

With a tyrnos 20 I would put it on a Gary Howard G force 15-24kg stick. Awesome rod with enough sensitivity in the tip to be a good floatlining rod. Some of the live fibres are ok but are let down by cheap chinese components. 30lb braid is a bit on the light side depending on where you are fishing.

If you are only bottom bashing more of a broomstick type rod would serve you better. Some of the penn 15-24kg sticks around the 6' mark are excellent value.

mmmm i was told by keechie a tcurve bluewater heavy OH 6' would do just fine. oh and weight dosnt really bother me really haha oh and we tried snapping the 30lb fins couldnt break it until we used the car the knots snapped using the quad. im not sure we'll have to give it a go i guess umm how much are the gary howard g force rods out of curiosity?

pat

Archived