Newbie to carp fishing.

jakhunta

Hey mate i use to fish for carp a fair bit. used to fish the Logan river at Flagstone. The main bait i used was bread, nice and simple but sure was affective. Corn Cornels also work along with many other bait, worms,cheese etc. I began catching them off the bottom using a small sinker but then found that catching them off the surface was alot more exciting so began catching em that way. Awesome fun watching them come up and smash your bait. Bread is perfect for that, just break off about half a peace of bread and put your hook in the middle, leaving the outer bits of the bread fluffy so it still floats for awhile, then just wait for that big carp to appear!!. I found that the further you go from the usual spots that people fish the carp will be a whole lot more active and you will see more carp crusing the surface. Just before dark there extremely active i find. Hope this helps mate, look forward to seeing how ya go. :)

hey there mate,

i do a fair bit of carp fishing. and have found that worms work extreemly well, also you should try both a running sinker right down to the hook and a sinker tied to the like about 30cm from the hook. both work ok. on days where the carp are spooked i would use the method of the sinker up a little bit. but where they are really feeding in the bottow, use the running sinker.

also do not move your rod constently, leave your bait out there until you are sure it is gone. carp spook very easily and the bait moveing around will spook them off for a little bit. Listen the Dan25 he knows his stuff when it comes to carp fishing.

those tips i gavce you landed me this fish just last week

P1010204.jpg

they seem to work alrite for me.

cheers jacko

ummmm for the hook size use anything under 2/0, 2/0 would be the biggest i would use but mustard have these long shank hooks that work well also, great to get a worm on and off and they are quite cheep. as for leader i would use 15-20lbs mono but it really dosent matter all that much it all depends on how many hurts you like to put on fish. it should be around 30cm long. but as i said you can have the sinker right up against th hook and it will usally work a treat.

and as for that carp, in australia that is about as big as you are gonna get it is about 15lbs, in brittan and france they can get up to 60lbs. in the logan river the average size is about 50cm long, but there are some monsters in there.

if you have any other questions just ask

Here are a few we got last year on my mates place at Warwick.

We caught them on tinned sweet corn, size 4 widemouth mustad hooks. Standard rig, sinker sitting right on top of hook.

We burley a bit using creamed corn, just chuck a teaspoon full in to the water every 10 minutes or so.Dunno if it makes a difference or not.

Daughters stonka caught in July

P7080031-1.jpg

P7080032-1.jpg

And a couple of Ray;s caught in September

P9210052.jpg

for the logan river or teviot brook i would throw out a heap of small pieces of bread as berly, then walk along side the bread as it slowly drifts along, as soon as the carp start feeding on the bread i would use 3kg mono and a size 4 or smaller straight shank hook with a small bit of bread crust on it, give it a light flick amongst what bread is still floating for berly and it will only take a few seconds before the feeding carp suck your piece of bread off the surface.

and as for that carp, in australia that is about as big as you are gonna get it is about 15lbs, in brittan and france they can get up to 60lbs. in the logan river the average size is about 50cm long, but there are some monsters in there.

if you have any other questions just ask

jakhunta wrote:

There are some awesome pics and good methods to try, thanks to everyone . Im keen to give it a go.

Has any one ever tried to fish for carp in the area around the stanmore st bridge at wolfdene?

I've seen them caught there just 50 metres downstream from that bridge on the outgoing tide to low tide. The guys were using corn kernals.

I've caught them also on the outgoing to low tide under the bridge on the logan river at waterford, using corn kernals. Another good spot which I havent fished in years is Tygum Lagoon at waterford, a small enclosed lake behind the shops at waterford. I've caught them on corn kernals fished on the bottom. Have heard reports of guys catching them on fly gear early morning, you can see them surfacing. Biggest ive caught there went 4kgs but a mate has pulled one out that went 7kgs

Bri The Pom wrote:

Dog biscuits superglued to a hook and cast out with a small handfull of freebies and watch them slurp them of the surface one by one.great fun.

Bri.

If you really get in to it there is a carp busters competition.

Hey Bri, were abouts do they hold the Comps? Interested to know.

dan25 wrote:

Bri The Pom wrote:
Dog biscuits superglued to a hook and cast out with a small handfull of freebies and watch them slurp them of the surface one by one.great fun.

Bri.

If you really get in to it there is a carp busters competition.

Hey Bri, were abouts do they hold the Comps? Interested to know.

Hi Dan, reading your reports your going well mate.

Goondiwindi,st George and i think there another 3 or 4 more.

Google carp busters goondiwindi.I might have all the paperwork somewhere if you struggle.

Bri.

I dont think they have put up anything much about this years comps yet.

Dates are

Thallon 20th March

Goondiwindi 24th April (I usually go to this one, but with no Anzac day holiday last year or this year, there is no long weekend to travel)

Dirranbandi 16th October.

/>http://www.qmdc.org.au/events

Last years details here
/>http://www.regionalnrm.qld.gov.au/about_new/news_events_publications/news/vor/2009_april/qmdc3.html

Ive seen the carp at Tygum lagoon but wasnt sure sure if fishing there was permitted.

When I went there the people were feeding them as well as the resident ducks. Being a noxious introduced spieces you would think the council would be trying to get rid of the carp there considering how close the Logan river is. A land locked lagoon like that one would think the DPI could electrofy the fish and remove them. What Iam getting at is on face value the practice of feeding these fish as a recreational activity seems to be encouraged. So if one was to fish there maybe this would be frowned upon. Please correct me if I am wrong as I would love to wet a line there.

Cheers. :unsure:

I have tee'd up a fishing trip out a Tamborine, a friend has an aunty/uncle with a big property.

2 dams,

DAM-1 is about 6acres in size, full of CARP, DPI have even looked at the dam and estimated over 15000 carp in it. The dam used to be an old swamp, that has been made into a dam.

DAM-2 i am told is around same size, but with natives in it, yellowbelly and even a chance of bass or pearch.

So early saturday morning a group of us 3 adults and about 4-5 kids heading out to do our bit in executing the carp.

I will also have a look in the other dam for the natives.

i will be trying - corn, potato, cheese, worms, shrimp, fly's, lures (surface and diving) and anything else i can think of

will full report post with pics and info sunday.

Dave

gday mate,

I carp fish alot catch heaps of them in scrubby creek on bread, mostly on the surface.

Tygum lagoon is okay seems all I could hook was spangled perch and catfish because i couldnt use my floating bread technique otherwise i would have had queensland parks and wildlife service up me because of all the ducks i would have hooked.

Keen for a fish again there give us a message if you want to go again keen for another fish.

Archived