Lightest decking material

fishyman

i want to re fit out my tinny soon.

going to make it an absolute bass machine.

but i want to try to add as little weight to it as possible.

at the moment i think the floors are all around 15mm ply possibly a little less.

i know allycore is supposed to be lighter but its pretty exxy as far as i know.

any other options??

fishy - my boat that I got off BigTez I think is 15mm and coated with resin?? or fiberglass?? i have no idea... but BigTez would know. He said something about doing it that way to keep it as light as possible... it does flex in the heat and cold but its only cosmetic. Still looks pimp :D

I went through the same process but its hard to beat the prices of CD ply. If treated and installed properly will last years.

There are a couple of products that are lighter than ply but imo still un tested and costly, cant remember the names but one is distributed through Sharp Ply wood and the other through Nover

Do$tylz wrote:

fishy - my boat that I got off BigTez I think is 15mm and coated with resin?? or fiberglass?? i have no idea... but BigTez would know. He said something about doing it that way to keep it as light as possible... it does flex in the heat and cold but its only cosmetic. Still looks pimp :D

Front deck is 9mm with one layer of glass on one side, hence the warping. Rear deck is 15mm ply. If you keep your supports close together and use lots of small hatches rather then big ones, you can get away with 9mm. If they do flex a little you could glass a couple of strips of heavier ply underneath them.

To save a bit more weight, get a trimmer to make up something like is in Henry's boat instead of a second floor underneath like most boats use.

Terry

hey guys

i think i could go thinner in ply. I only weigh about 70 ringing wet so.

Terry, thanks mate i had already thought of using material as storage liners like what was in your old tinnie, saving the need for a second floor.

Ally checker plate, thats an interesting one. hadnt thought of that

Henry, thanks for the offer mate but ive actually been in that boat a few times haha.

Tom, Thanks mate i reckon i could get away with 9 or 12mm if i thought it out enough in terms of hatch location etc.

Archived