N.P dam Sun 1/4/07

Aaron H

After planning to go to the Hinze on Sunday morning, I packed the boat charged the battery bought a heap of shrimp, and set the alarm for 4am I sat down and enjoyed a few beers while watching the footy. 4 am arrives I wake up step outside see the South wind blowing realise the head was aching a little bit (too many beers:( )and said screw this and went back to bed.

I woke up much more refreshed and with forty shrimp to use.

I decided North Pine was the destination so armed with Shrimp I parked the car outside the gates at the carpark befor Bullocky rest. The wind was fairly strong so I walked around the otherside to have the wind at my back and what a session I had. From 1:00pm to 5:00pm I caught and released 25 bass and one silver perch. Most fish were caught on shrimp but old faithful Kokoda G-Vibe accounted for the two biggest fish around 40 cm. The average size was between 30 and 35 cm and the fish were in pretty poor condition (damn drought) But still a great session for a trip just to waste some shrimp.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Big_silver_perch.JPG

Silver perch one of the skinniest I have ever caught but still fought well

post-266-144598410621_thumb.jpg

Cowfish13 wrote:

Great fish. What colour was the G-vibe. I have a see-through pinkish type colour, would that work on those bass?

The Gvibe is the see through with a brown back and purple belly I think as long as they rattle they work mate.

Trav,

A bit different to the Hinze fish hey? I think its a very hungry lake at 16% Please rain:(

Aaron H wrote:

Cowfish13 wrote:
Great fish. What colour was the G-vibe. I have a see-through pinkish type colour, would that work on those bass?

The Gvibe is the see through with a brown back and purple belly I think as long as they rattle they work mate.

Trav,

A bit different to the Hinze fish hey? I think its a very hungry lake at 16% Please rain:(

Mate, I've fished most of the Kokoda range (my favourite) at NP and you're absolutely right - it's all in the noise. A mate of mine used an import brand with super-sized rattle which we both thought would send the bass banana's, but I think it was a little too much - they kept smashing the K's and he never got a single hook-up. Colour doesn't seem to make a huge amount of difference in my experience, when they're hot they don't seem to care...

Well done Aaron, looks like you had a great little session!

They all look pretty skinny, sad to see them that way :( Another thing I have noticed on ym last few trips is a large number of dead turtles (mainly just shells) around the upper water levels. Was good to see a bunch of tiny 20 cent piece sized turtles swim past the other day. Hopefully we get some rain soon to replenish our dams, not only for the fish but for us :P

Doing enviro engineering at uni some of the statistics we get given are pretty grim, lets just say I hope the recycled water gets goin asap (touchy subject) :P

Did you just grab the shrimp at a petshop or aquarium? I have often seen the feeder shrimp at aquariums when buying fish and wondered how they would go. Were you fishing on the bank on the opposite side of the dam wall (if you look out from mcgavins view)?

-nelson-

THIS MESSAGE IS TO {{{{ ADVENTURE ANGLER }}}} BUDDY , PLEASE TELL ME WHERE YOU SAW THAT LITTLE TURTLE, WE HAVE JUST BIULT A LARGE WATER FEATURE IN OUR GARDEN AND MY WIFE HAS BEEN COLLECTING TURTLE STUFF FOR YEARS , SHE IS FANATICAL ABOUT THEM, I KNOW YOUR NOT ALLOWED TO KEEP TURTLES WITHOUT A LICENSE, WE JUST WANT TO LOOK AT THEM (FOR A LITTLE WHILE)

Mate, the group of turtles were seen near forgans cove, only a 10min walk from the carpark. I have seen them twice in that area, but as soon as they see you move they head straight for deep water. To pick this one up I saw them swimming down the shore and just sat and waited ahead of them then slowly grabbed it. Your best bet is to just walk along the shore as this is where I saw them both times (really close to shore, like 10cm out). You can always see the larger turtles poking their heads out at nth pine too. Just sit back, relax and wait for them to pop up.

Hope this helps mate!!!

-nelson-

North Pine Dam mate. The turtes there are pretty thick. Just sit and look around for 5 minutes from the bank and your bound to see one of their heads pop up for air. I have caught one on a Jackall, so has Ando, but you have more of a chance with bait or yabbie traps.

Troy

Yeah mate you can see a point that sticks out from Macgavins, its not the dam wall but the other side of Bullocky rest, its a bit of a walk but its some of the deepest water I have found in the lake apart from the wall

adventure_angler wrote:

Well done Aaron, looks like you had a great little session!

They all look pretty skinny, sad to see them that way :( Another thing I have noticed on ym last few trips is a large number of dead turtles (mainly just shells) around the upper water levels. Was good to see a bunch of tiny 20 cent piece sized turtles swim past the other day. Hopefully we get some rain soon to replenish our dams, not only for the fish but for us :P

Doing enviro engineering at uni some of the statistics we get given are pretty grim, lets just say I hope the recycled water gets goin asap (touchy subject) :P

Did you just grab the shrimp at a petshop or aquarium? I have often seen the feeder shrimp at aquariums when buying fish and wondered how they would go. Were you fishing on the bank on the opposite side of the dam wall (if you look out from mcgavins view)?

-nelson-

Post edited by: Aaron H, at: 2007/04/05 03:13

I hope I dont get to drunk at Lenthalls this weekend or will miss all the morning action. Brian D wrote:

Good session - Top stuff mate - I love it - you are so friggin mad keen. At least you didn't waste the shrimp.

Shrimp out fish lures again or was it that you were so hung over you din't throw the lure enough?

Jimmy,

My Grandpa used to use live Galah chicks on the Murray back in the 50's so it doesnt surprise me.

Werewolf,

in a boat I use the paternoster that trav said but off the bank I prefer a running sinker with a half metre leader (don't know why just nice and simple and it works for me)

Cowfish, they are about 80c each but if you get the young blokes they just throw a heap in so you get about $40-50 worth for $20 (except if u get the grumpy owner who counts them out individually)

Archived