Hervey Bay Holiday

Feral

Well just back from 5 days R&R in Hervey bay with the family.

Managed to do some fishing each morning, but having to fish somewhere the kids could swim (ok I took the kids swimming each morning, and snuck the fishing gear along!) But caught nothing (except a gazillion toadfish). Plenty of fish about, sight casting to fish up to 75cm in the clear water, but could not entice them on a lure of any sort, and when I tried bait, I had to hide behind the dunes to put the bait on to keep the toadfish away. It did not matter what you did, the second a bait hit the water the toadfish had it.

Any way had a nice relaxing time, single handedly kept the local economy going with what I spent (I reckon over a grand for the week all up). But the kids had a ball.

Went for a walk along the Jetty, but it is much shorter than when I was a kid, only about a 10 minute walk to the end. I reckon it would be flat out being a kilometer long now. I'd say plenty of big fish caught off it still though, the last 50 yards was black with fish blood, and heaps of local kids fishing it with \"Terry Grade\" tackle!

The tackle shop at the pier was very good for prices as well. Also they sold good sized hooks at very good prices, about half the cost they are here in Brisbane (That is when you can even find them!)

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1060096.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/05 20:15

post-134-144598410648_thumb.jpg

feral the pier is 800meters long now. the last 200meters and the t piece were demolished in the 80s after it was damaged by a boat in a big storm. the bjelkie petersen government wanted to demolish the whole thing but the population of herveybay rose to its defence and saved it. they still have the pier festival every october with a fishing comp off it to raise money for its maintenence.

gott love the pier

mackrel, tuna, trevally, queenfish, flatthead, whiting, gar, huge tigersharks and the best squid fishing around in season.

Archived