Do we have flounders around here?

bigfatdud

Mate you seem to attract surface swimming bottom dwellers I couldn't get over that stonefish.

and now a flounder.

bfd they are most common in late winter/early spring when they come close inshore a lot of them are roed up then so maybe they are spawning.

I mostly get them as bycatch on SPs and lures, flathead methods work best they are ambush predators, my mums favourite eating fish

Will try flathead method - So you can see stonefish at boggy creek? That'd be fun.

Is this where you meant by boggy creek?

/>http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pickenba+park&sll=-27.391554,153.143191&sspn=0.008373,0.016512&ie=UTF8&hq=pickenba+park&hnear=&t=h&z=17&iwloc=A

Scope wrote:

Picked up this little guy on a prawn at yacht club at bulimba late last year. Not sure if its a flounder or a sole? What's the difference by the way??

Cheers Jono

Sorry pic didn't upload - Will put it up when I get home -

Scope wrote:

Picked up this little guy on a prawn at yacht club at bulimba late last year. Not sure if its a flounder or a sole? What's the difference by the way??

Cheers Jono

Flounder has a distinct tail. Sole the tail looks like it's just a continuation of the fins.

where the dredge is at the rock wall at fishermans island, you will catch them and small flathead by the bucketload.... just drive the boat in towards the rockwall and drift out (hopefully) with servo prawns on the bottom, you can't miss.... only problem is, the small flathead and flounder swallow the whole thing and you loose a lot of hooks and sometimes they die..

but some pretty big ones in there if you're patient and do the drift a few times..

elops wrote:

Our local flounder is the Largetooth Flounder Pseudorhombus arsius

The references say they grow to 45cm would like to catch one that big.

yup, that sounds about right. above 33-35cm makes them easy to fillet, i wouldnt bother with anything smaller. but they do take that hook right down into the gut.

we use long shank hook, 1metre trace, small ball sinker, makes the prawn bounce around while drifting.

taste best crumbed. as said, just where the dredge is (well it's almost up towards the mouth now).

i never thought to enquire as to the size limit, never kept more than 5 myself... from what i can see on dpi, its 25 cm, and 20 bag limit.... 25cm, i wouldnt even bother myself, no flesh and way to hard to fillet... wait for the bigger, fat ones...

Archived