Damaged Money.....

Scope

Hi all, when I was scrambling up the bank after swimming out to get my lure today I came across this very sun-damaged $50 note wedged in the grass. Its obviously been there a while as it is quite faded, even to the point where the clear window crumbled out as I picked it up. I'm sure whoever it belongs to is long gone and has written it off. Either that or it is a counterfeit....

Just wondering if you can take damaged money to the bank or whatever to get it replaced... if so I'd be more than happy to do this and donate it to the site.

Work_Pictures_537_AFO.jpg

The rule as I understand it is if 80% of the note is still okay then it is legal tender - this includes torn and missing sections. But in your case you may have a bit of a fight on your hands as they also talk about notes affected by heat, and this note has been 100% affected by heat.

My guess is it is worthless, but no harm in walking into a bank and seeing if they will accept it or not...after all they are the experts?

Marty

as long as its a faded 'real' note and not a counterfeit note its worth a try. I haven't come across notes that have had the window deteriorate to such a degree that its missing, and I see a few bank notes from time to time ;) .

See you on the news tonight in handcuffs B)

tomca wrote:

as long as its a faded 'real' note and not a counterfeit note its worth a try. I haven't come across notes that have had the window deteriorate to such a degree that its missing, and I see a few bank notes from time to time ;) .

See you on the news tonight in handcuffs B)

haha anyone got a $50 note for bail??? Just make sure its a real one :laugh: ! Nah the window was there when I picked it up it just sorta crumbled to bits, and to all extents and purposes it looks real, but I'm no expert so I'll give it a go. If not look for afo exposure on the 6.00 news.....

Want to do a little bit of legitimate money laundering thats completely legal?

As with anything you find, you should take it to the local Police Station and deposit it there. After 60 days, and with no luck in finding an owner, you have a legitimate claim of right over the property.

So after 60 days, you get not the note back, but a nice crisp shiny cheque to the value of $50 made out to you.

Easy huh!!

Disclaimer: I dont endorse any illegal activities at all ;-)

straddiebrad wrote:

ryanyoung wrote:
The pokies sounds like the best idea, either that or buy some smokes from a vending machine and get the change. Good find mate, I hope it works out for you!

Ryan.

do pokies take bigger notes nowuse to be only twenties they took??

Na only up to 20 bucks but most pubs have those note changing machines that do 50's and 100's.

Archived