Jigging the beacons

Lukey

'Hey guys, Me and a mate are heading out in the bay this weekend to try our luck at jigging the four beacons for some kingies (and anything else for that matter). As weve grown up targeting bass and bream on plastics and hard bodies, this is gonna be a new experience. Just wondering if anyone can suggest types/sizes of jigs and other methods of targeting fish around beacons???:dry:

Cheers.

i heard raiders are a goer but havent bought any i jigged for fish before

i understand that you drop the bait into water and pump and wind till you get hit then pump and wind a whole lot faster

you need pretty deep water how deep is four beaconsd generally? if waters to shallow the bait is in out of water too much not giving fish a chance to smash the slug etc

G'day Brian. Haven't been yet, its this coming sunday we'll be there. Just going in me mates 4.2m tinnie, but only if the wind settles down! We'll be heading over to Tangalooma wrecks to fish there sunday night, so hopefully it'll be a good trip. I'll keep ya posted.;)

are you talking about four beacons? because if you are once you get theree do a quick run around watching your sounder as a lot of the time there is not much there and if this is the case maybe try jigging one of the small inshore reefs where you will pull plenty of snapper, squire, bream and many other species. also keep an eye out for schools of mackeral and tuna working as they are a lot of fun.

thanks, reef_raider

also a lot of the time the current rips through four beacons pretty fast

Post edited by: reef_raider, at: 2007/04/12 07:23

Lukey I need your help

Do you leave Brissy River and go to North Moreton in a tinny? If so how long does it take?

Reefy sorry to ask (again) but how long does it take you and what transport are you using?

I ask because I have always considered it too much effort for little reward. Am I missing out because I am being lazy?

So in a 60hp 4str 4.7glass boat - how long should it take?

Mate, we leave from near the mouth of the brissy and it takes in the 40hp tinny about an hour to hit tangalooma. In yours it shouldn't be that long. We're trying some new things like the beacons and chasing pelagics on this trip so we'll see if its worth it!

Sorry Lukey - you have already posted it in the \"Going Fishing\" - told you I am in rut.

Lozzel / Cliffy - do you want to tag along with me?

I know the way but haven't done it yet.

Lukey is on to something here - just jig every beacon along the way and follow the birds?

We should get some good fish.

hey guys, would it be possible for me to tag along if you finalise everything and find u have room for one more bloke?(or half a bloke) ill shout petrol money and could probably get myself down there. like ive said before, never really been on a boat in the open water fishin b4 so id be very gratefull for the chance.

jordan

Jord's if yon want to come along with an old bloke you're welcome in the cruise craft. We got to throw cast net for lives first but! I would be happy to have a mad keen nut like you on board.

I know poly and lozzel have room too so here's hoping we can make a good fish day of it. What's Troy, Aaron, Bud, and everyone else doing?

Who else has a boat and wants a deckie? This should be a great safe excilerating trip.

Brian D wrote:

I know poly and lozzel have room too so here's hoping we can make a good fish day of it. What's Troy, Aaron, Bud, and everyone else doing?

Who else has a boat and wants a deckie? This should be a great safe excilerating trip.

Sorry folks I cant make it on Sunday stuff has come up. I'm heading out on Monday when the winds below 5 knots all day. I already have a full boat but people are welcome to tag along in their boat. Starting at the beacons and then probably back around Mud.B)

brian we dont go out there any more as dad wont take our new boat out in the bay unless its pretty much flat but we used to take our tri-hull with an 80 4stroke over to moreton i fair bit and depending on the conditions it tokk anywhere from half our to an hour leaving from shultz canal and that was at a medium pace of around 40-45km/h and sometimes stopping to throw slugs at schools of tuna and macks... i remember one trip that i got to drive back took us a bit over and hour because we had 30knot SE's so yer you might just want to check the winds but it really depends where your leaving from and how fast your travelling as to how long it will take you... also spend some time finding the actual wrecks if your fishing say curtain and anchor just off it and fish back onto it, the extra 5minutes spent finding the wreck will pay off

thanks, reef_raider

OK here's the plan

Colmslie ramp about 4.30 - 5.00am, Collect bait and head off trolling down to the mouth then a run along the beacons to the edge of the bay, then over to Moreton if conditions are good (which they should be)

I plan on jigging big deep plastics at the beacons, while looking for tuna and alike. Also be throwing HB's and live baits at anything that looks remotely like a fish.

Jords is my deckie for the day.

Lozzel I think you're coming now - if so and you want a deckie Reef Raider is available -he knows the bay area and would be handy to have around.

Lukey and mate - are you still coming?

What about anyone else?

We'll be back by lunch time.

Archived