Moreton bay mackerel

Bri The Pom

A mate at work, his best mate has just bought a boat and they both wanted to go chasing macks in moerton bay.

Can anyone one give me an area or even co ordinates so he get get somewhere with a chance of catching a spottie or two.

Not asking for secrets just close to a bit of action.

Cheers

Bri

a mate of mine trolled up 8 spotties in two hours only 500 meters off the seaway down the gold coast one week ago. just from his tinny on a hardbody around 75mm long.

might have moved on since then but worth a look.

I can give you a spot that i catch mackies, if you go and launch your boat at Bribie, head under the bridge and keep going out of the passage in a straight line. Most offshore boats turn left at the most southern part of the island and head out. Instead of turning left, keep going straight until you see a beacon. It is all sand based and you will be fishing in about 5 metres of water. We caught a nice mackeral and a smallish cobia. We also got dusted several times by much bigger fish. If you want to keep local around brisbane, then head out of the mouth of the river and tow some lures anywhere around the beacons. If in doubt, keep a keen eye out for birds working the schools of bait and cast some slugs into em...The only other spot i have caught them in is at cleveland in the rainbow channel.Hope that helps

even in the middle of the season it can be a bit of hit and miss in the bay but like the other chaps have said stick around the beacons marking the shipping channel especially the inside of moreton island and off bribie or look for the birds diving into bait schools

Bri The Pom wrote:

A mate at work, his best mate has just bought a boat and they both wanted to go chasing macks in moerton bay.

Can anyone one give me an area or even co ordinates so he get get somewhere with a chance of catching a spottie or two.

Not asking for secrets just close to a bit of action.

Cheers

Bri

Archived