Castnetting fish from boats?

postpossum

Hi guys

Hope this isn't too silly a question- when I did my boat license, the instructor mentioned 'the only legal way to get a fish onto a boat' was via a line and a hook. No cast nets, no spearing from the boat. Couldn't find any info on it and now I'm not sure if he was thinking about freshwater or another state perhaps. I've seen people cast netting prawns from boats in Moreton Bay- is using a cast net to get bait from a boat in QLD legal?

Ryan

At the time I didn't really think twice as I don't use cast nets. It just piqued my curiosity when I was reading through the fishing regulations and didn't see it mentioned (apart in fresh water in QLD- for obvious reasons). I would imagine it'd be disallowed in marinas or at similar private facilities, but can't think of too many reasons why they'd be unusable in say, the bay. Thanks for the clarification :)

just leave the motor idling.. if there no wind/current then just turn motor off and drift but generally leave it on.

Funny story - had someone come up to me at gold-coast while i was castnetting livies and tell me that i was an idiot, that it's illegal to castnet in qld, that i came at the wrong tide, all this other junk.. then tells me he's waiting for a friend to come pick him up. - Charter boat comes 5 mins later to pick him up

Archived