So what has benno573 been up to?

benno573

Hey guys,

Kreel has cattle prodded me into coming back onto AFO on a semi-regular basis (he's really mean :unsure: ). I just thought I'd put up a post as to what I have been up to in case anyone gives two hoots! There is a bit of history involved here so here we go...

Trip 1 - whatever day the tsunami warning was! :blush:

After waiting for the warnings to reach a stage I felt OK with, I loaded up Sparksie and headed out into a deserted bay. Target - some new ground I had found at Mud. We were straight onto the fish, landing a couple of legal snapper and then a good run of sweetlip and long-nose trevally. I got busted off by a few things that saw heavier leader come out - and then I held onto a better fish, a painted sweetlips/morwong/slatey bream of about 50cm or so. Sparksie bagged a bream in amongst it all and it was all happy days! I marked a rather random spot on the sounder that was covered in fish... more to come about what has affectionately been known ever since as waypoint 68. ;) sorry the photos are a bit blurry... :blush:

IMG_0148_AFO.jpg

slatey

IMG_0147_AFO.jpg

the catch

Trip 2 - Easter sometime - i think

I headed out in the bay with my sister and her partner in tow, headed back to Mud for the arvo session. It was all a bit quiet to start off with, my sister started to nail a few good fish, including a couple of mid 20's diver whiting. she then got woken up by her first mackeral - a schoolie of about 48cm that hit a bare hook on the retrieve right beside the boat! she then landed what I think is a juvenile samson fish - I am waiting on an icythologist to confirm (hurry up kreel!) Then it was very quiet for a while until i threw the faithful peeled prawn out yonder. BOOM! it was on! for the next half hour the fish were everywhere, we landed some good grassies, a couple over 40cm, more long-nose trevs and my sis caught her first ever legal flattie and after 14 throwbacks a keeper snapper! to say she was stoked was an understatement. headed back home on dusk, beaut day out.

IMG_0163_AFO.jpg

baby sambo - i think

IMG_0164_AFO.jpg

good mixed bag

Trip 3 - Saturday after the Easter weekend (major hungover... not good)

Headed out to Mud Is with my mate from next door in tow, with the plan being to sample to fruits of waypoint 68. hit up my regular spot first, got onto a couple of fish, and we both got bricked about 4-5 times, once even on 30lb gear. No idea what they were, big and slow made me suspect wobbegongs but I'll never know! headed over to waypoint 68. first drop, mate was on. a good fight had me hoping for a good grassy or snapper, i was as surprised as anyone when a small-mouth nannygai came over the side. at 37cm, a bit short of the required 40cm, he was released. To prove it was not a fluke, we pulled 5 of them aboard in the space of about an hour. thrown in amongst them were a maori cod of 43cm (short of the 45cm required size! :( ), a jewie at 61cm, two unstoppables, a school mackeral, a gold spot cod of just under 35cm, 3 keeper snaps and a 39cm tusky. I like waypoint 68!!!! :) We headed back over to my usual spot when a goob tried to anchor right beside us after watching me land the jewie... his anchor was wayyy to small and he drifted off the spot anyway -the fiosh had shut down thanks to him. I HATE people like this!!! :angry: . We added 3 nice grassies and a couple more long nose trevs to the bag for the arvo. No photos from this trip unfortunately... :(

Trip 4 - Saturday of the Anzac weekend

Jeff F and I headed out before the crack of dawn to catch the early morning tide change. things were very quiet, i got woken up by a blue-spot ray and then what i thought was another one that turned out to be a 53cm painted sweetlips/morwong/slatey bream. Yee-ha. I don't care what other people say, looked after properly they are fantastic eating. All was quiet for a while until in the space of about 2 minutes jeff and I both landed a tusky each, jeff's at 30.01cm, mine at 38cm. We then headed up to Harries for a while as the crowds at Mud Is were annoying me - like I though harries would be deserted? Pfft... I'm a goose sometimes! Jeff found a way around the pickers and managed a couple of nice grassies, I threw out a live yakka that was promptly taken and I got bitten off. Jeff, you told me 30lb fluro would be fine!!! :P Oh well. Back to mud we go. headed to waypoint 68. first drop, bang, nannygai. jeff could no longer not believe me! I landed about 3 of them, then things went a little quiet, until i threw out half a peeled prawn that went off! the result - 54cm black spot cod. Wicked cool. next cast I pulled up a 62cm jewie, and then missed the hookup on a live trumpeter that got smashed... :( back to old faithful spot where I picked up a sweetlip, then we headed home.

IMG_0168_AFO.jpg

the after shot... ;)

Trip 5

headed out with the retard person known commonly as Kreel. hit up Mud, was a pretty quiet day all round unfortunately. Beautiful weather though. Caught nannygai again though! :) can't remeber exactly what made the bag that trip, wasn't a lot, i got a 41cm cod, a 38cm grassy and i'm not sure what else. very relaxing day though.

IMG_0027_AFO.jpg

conditions shot... who'd be at work?? :whistle:

Trip 6 - Saturday of May long weekend

loaded up kreel and that bloke tacklebox and left at the leisurely, hang-over friendly hour of 1pm :blush: . again, a rather quiet day. We just chipped away all afternoon, into the evening and ended up with a good bag of fish. I proved again that nannygai are not a fluke capture, again, waypoint 68 being the spot. kreel had a great argument with what i was hoping was a cod - unfortunately, a brown banded cat shark surfaced. tacklebox was playing around with these funny grub things she called "plastics" :huh: that confused me. she did very nearly land the first tailor of the season on my boat though, unfortunately the teeth won out. through the night we picked up a couple of moses perch, some good bream, a snapper, a sweetlip and when it was all very quiet my rod in the holder went off!!! a good battle ensued with some great decky work by tacklebox while kreel was busy pushing up z's in the front of the boat... :lol: . the result was a new PB, a painted sweetlips/morwong/slatey bream of 64cm and 2.6kg! :woohoo: that made my night anyway!!! headed home a bit later and kreel and tacklebox were decent enough to head around the next morning and cleaned the boat. thanks guys - and you wonder why I keep inviting you back!!! :kiss:

IMG_0173_AFO.jpg

The catch

P1050477_AFO.jpg

Nannygai

P1050478_AFO.jpg

new pb!!! :woohoo:

I'll add photos as they come - still waiting on a couple from jeff.

cheers for reading if you got this far!

benno <'>-<

It wasn't so much an invite... More a constant badgering...

And as for the other bit... How silly of me to forget to add that bit of info... Must be slipping in my old age! I can thank a lost crab pot and random driving around trying to find it though! Is a tiny isolated bit of structure, in about 38ft of water. Just seems to work!!!

kreel wrote:

Rumour had it that you'd run off to Las Vegas to become a chorus line dancer. It's great to see you back on AFO. So how was Vegas?

it was lovely. There were two blokes there one night throwing money at me after the performance, looked a lot like you and shortie... :blink:

kriso wrote:

hahhah what no kriso fish in that lot? what bait did you use Kriso's Fishing Chicken? lol nice haul mate some good fish there.

plenty of Kriso fish unfortunately... No pics, was afraid they'd crunch up the camera. Baits were a mixture of pillies, squid, peeled prawns, flesh baits, occy and hardyheads. Will try the chicken next trip for sure. ;)

shortie - no dramas mate.

benno573 wrote:

And as for the other bit... How silly of me to forget to add that bit of info... Must be slipping in my old age! I can thank a lost crab pot and random driving around trying to find it though! Is a tiny isolated bit of structure, in about 38ft of water. Just seems to work!!!

Yes old age its coming.....nice report mate.

:laugh:

Sparksie wrote:

benno573 wrote:

Yes old age its coming.....nice report mate.

:laugh:

at least mine is still coming... As opposed to set in! :P

Archived