Night out with friends 2 (Sunday 16th May)

nufinspecial

As a continuation from qbkamis’ first post last Sunday, I decided to also contribute to the forum with a first post of my own, as well as one on behalf of Fisherman Frank and Mollowsexual.

Being members for so long, we finally summoned up the courage to put together a first post, which we hope you will all enjoy. We are lucky to be apart of a close group of friends who have comparable passion for the great sport of fishing. We’ve longed been inspired by the amazing fish caught by AFO members as well as their genuine hospitality and friendliness.

The unfortunate burdens of time table clashes between study and work within our group of mates make it difficult for us to enjoy a night out fishing together. However the sacrifices we make (usually sleep or a days pay) to have a line out with the boys makes everything seem worth while.

30633_10150193718000147_841630146_12532038_322342_n.jpg

Picture: From left to right, Mollowsexual, Fisherman Frank, Nufinspecial, QbKami

The day began,

like any other Sunday where Fisherman Frank would pop over to my place to figure out what fishing related activity we would be doing for the rest of the day. The usual trip to BCF or a quick flick down the coast was an occasional happening. We however after being inspired by qbkamis’ bream efforts on the superbream last Sunday decided to go raid our closest Kmart for a couple. After picking up qbkami (we fortunately all live close by to each other) we headed to the shops in which we found that someone had already beaten us to them. Having only 5 or so left, we took them all as well as a few snap swivels and some cheapo lures we thought would work.

A quick phone call to Mollowsexual would have us in front of his house while he started packing his fishing gear into my car boot. We were off to what was originally the Indooropilly side of the Brisbane River however persuasion led us to the infamous Breakfast Creek to see if we couldn’t bag ourselves a couple of bream. With plenty of bait fish around it seemed that they were the only things active with the water much lower than we had expected (we were outside of the low tide by about an hour or so). Persevering, we threw as many casts as possible until our stomachs started to grumble so much as we decided to take a break and grab a feed. Four dollars later and a kebab in the stomach, we headed back to the Brisbane River to catch the run in tide.

Not knowing what to expect, if anything at all, out went the superbream on my first cast to get a noticeable tap tap and then nothing. After a quick wind in and a cast whilst Fisherman Frank said he got a hit, another bump was felt and it was on. The thing ran straight for a nearby pylon while the drag of the shimano was clicking away. The sudden dash into the open got me calling it for a thready however the power just didn’t seem to be there. A couple of minutes later when she finally decided to stop running, I tried hard to regain the lost line. The guys all next to me, anticipating each wind to see the 10 pound leader I had tied to the end of my braid, a distinct silver shadow finally appeared, with the pink coloured lure attached in its gob. It was the first Jewie I had seen since last year and they definitely seem to have grown much larger. While the boys frantically discussed how we would land this thing ( being without a net and about 2 metres on top of the water), Mollowsexual decided it would be a smart idea to hook it again with his lure just for extra safety. A smart idea it was however two headshakes later, all I can say is that there is a Jewie out there with two lures stuck to the sides of its head. Apart from the frantic cries of Mollowsexual who seemed to be more devastated than myself in losing the fish, we all relined and out the lures went again.

Another Superbream, and another similar story; just a smaller one which got us a little upset when it turned belly up with the lure stuck in it’s mouth. As the current slowly turned the fish up right though, it shot off, as if nothing had happened. So that was two in a row and the boys seemed a little anxious now however none discouraged. 10 or so minutes later while Fisherman Frank was retrieving his clear red and black striped lure, his persistence in hitting the same square of water over and over again paid off with the distinct sound of braid ripping out of his baitcaster. The line suddenly appeared 4 metres left of where it initially was and as his T-curve slowly began to bend, the sound of his braid flying out of his drag got faster. There was no way to describe his face, part joy and part fear; it didn’t seem to matter though. The runs seemed to be endless. This was no Jewie we all had thought and in the back of our minds we all hoped that the fishing gods would reward us with a sight of some gold coloured scales. But as the mass of fish on the end of the minuscule line seemed tired and Fisherman Frank began to turn it, it would shoot off again, with more power and more aggressiveness, shaking side to side. A stalemate between fish and man would see man come back on top as Fisherman Frank began to turn it. Even with the creatures last bout of breath which saw it run a couple of more metres, our hearts stopped when a golden glow of threadfin salmon beneath the murky waters of the Brisbane River appeared.

He had done it, face full of sweat (and probably tears) on a freezing autumn night but now, the memories of the fight were long gone replaced by the challenge of actually landing the thing on solid ground. Through qbkamis’ quick thinking and innovation, a pulley system was devised where we would attach a snap swivel that was originally attached to a lure he had cast towards us, onto Fisherman Franks line. With a bit of trial and error, a little loosen your drag here and wind up there, a splash from the water and a thud on the grass, later heard neighbourhood waking cheers of victory, we had landed a threadfin salmon and it was bloody huge!

30633_10150193723570147_841630146_12532315_5070231_n.jpg

Picture: Fisherman Frank stoked as with his first Threadfin salmon

From tip to tail, it measured 94cm, the record for our group which broke our 84.5cm from last year. Determined to finally have his name on a threadfin salmon, and sick of his dad always nagging why he never caught any fish, into the bucket it went and we were back into it. Lures thrown from every direction reminded me much like a spider weaving its web in the wind. Although very random in its appearance, every flick and cast was done purposefully, or so we hoped anyway.

It seemed that every bump and nudge we felt was anticipated. My heart stopped once again when I began to retrieve my lure after a very long pause to have not a nudge or tickle but a feeling of uncontrollable power. A couple of seconds later, I realized that all I could do was hold on for dear life and hope to god my line was strong enough to see this through. The head shakes were not similar to the ones I had experienced before for the typical Jewfish or Thready I’d fought; it just didn’t seem the same. I started to regret not putting the extra line on my 3000 when Fisherman Frank reminded me how little line there was left on my spool. I prayed and I prayed hard but anguish was felt and silence heard when my line became slack and drifted with no weight down the Brisbane River. Again, another superbream lost and another put on after qbkami offered me one of his.

The night was in no way slowing as proved by my next two attempts on separate Jewies which saw me lose one through our pulley system and finally landing one from a homemade gaff which was pieced together by qbkami using his bear grylls survival skills. A very quick measure which gave 64cm saw an even quicker photo and back into the river it swam with no hesitation.

30633_10150193718035147_841630146_12532043_4811509_n.jpg

Picture: Our homemade gaff

30633_10150193717975147_841630146_12532036_426642_n.jpg

Picture: My 64cm Jewie

The night was still young and I was exhausted, even though I’d never admit it in front of the boys. I felt bad for stealing the fun all night and hoped that qbkami and Mollowsexual whom had selflessly helped us land all the fish tonight would get onto it as well. Much quicker than expected, the surface action of the Brisbane River did not disappoint when something unknown smashed qbkamis’ red head just metres away from him. It took it deep. Much deeper than any other fish we had seen so far and much longer were the runs as well. As the drag clicked away, we were shocked to have him tell us that it was locked. As he patiently inched the drag, click by click, and then released it again when it decided to run, the first signs on fluorocarbon leader slowly revealed yet another threadfin salmon.

This one was absolutely beautiful. The distinct colour of yellow lit up our eyes, and was just one of those shades of yellow that man has never seen before. It was more yellow than golden but the admiration of the fish would have to wait, I mean, it was only time before it would regain its energy and shoot back down into the darkness. A good mate arrived just in time to witness the commotion and landed it for us after thumbing it up, braver than any of us I’d have to admit.

30633_10150193717990147_841630146_12532037_4743162_n.jpg

Picture: QbKamis Threadfin Salmon

93 centimeters of threadfin salmon gave Mollowsexual more than enough reason to just keep persisting. I could tell that his stamina was decreasing, much like the rest of us but the determination he projected was incomparable. I think we were happier than him when a fish finally made his reel screech. The little daiwa screamed high pitched and for a second I thought he’d lost it but up came a Jewie, a fight much less anticipated but a fish landed none the less. Qbkamis’ volunteer for an assist saw battle scars on his finger webs when an intended gill grab turned into a thumbing after the fish kicked just out of the water.

30633_10150193718080147_841630146_12532047_7646217_n.jpg

Picture: Battle Scars

66 centimeters, just a couple of lure lengths short of a feed, saw her released back into the Brisbane River to be caught another day. The night was ending even though the slack of the tide had just arrived. We were fatigued despite the early morning bed times we all possessed; the excitement of fish on the chew was just far too much for us. We decided that we’d call the night after a couple of last casts. The whips of the rod tip were no longer heard and were replaced by worn out tired boys who stood in silence letting the lures drift. Qbkami holding a rod in one hand while simultaneously trying to apply pressure on his injured hand to stop the bleeding got the shock of his life when another fish struck. Nearly head over heals into the water, Qbkami regained composure and rose our heart rates once again. A fight short lived; saw her sit at a legal 75 centimeters which we never thought were possible from the Brisbane River.

30633_10150193718010147_841630146_12532040_2951648_n.jpg

Picture: The 75cm beast with the redhead in its mouth

30633_10150193718025147_841630146_12532042_2466645_n.jpg

Picture: Qbkami and his fish

With now 3 fish in the bucket and a story filled night that we’d probably bore the rest of our mates with for the next couple of weeks or so, we decided to finally call the night. How we ended at another spot on the river still gets me confused but in doing so, I landed the final Jewie spanning 68 centimeters.

30633_10150193718005147_841630146_12532039_1075620_n.jpg

Picture: The 67cm Jewie that ended the night.

The tally stands at:

TWO Threadfin salmon; 94 and 93 centimeters.

and FOUR Jewfish; 64, 66, 67 and 75 centimeters

Lures lost; FOUR superbreams.

30633_10150193718050147_841630146_12532045_5887031_n.jpg

30633_10150193718055147_841630146_12532046_3091558_n.jpg

Pictures: The lures that did the damage.

The Brisbane River never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you very much for reading

post-5226-14459852412_thumb.jpg

post-5226-144598524126_thumb.jpg

Well done guys sounds like an awesome session!

With the photo's you may need to use an external host if you want them all in the same post (such as photo bucket).

Failing that just do what I do and add them into seperate posts.

This issue will be resolved with the next forum upgrade due out soon.

Cheers.

Angus

man thats an out of control night... dafinately one to remember and I wish I had brissy river nights like that.

Also that picture is hilarious. Sorry man.. but it almost looks like a boy band photoshoot :D But I guess it helps rolling in 4... no weirdo's to have to worry about.

woo damn it has finally arrived, the report! i was waiting for this report to be posted hes been working too hard on it ahah man my thumb has gotten worse i think from that night :/ Jew's and there teeth ahaha

Relevance Do$tylz comment... BACK STREETS BACK ALRIGHT! ahahah :laugh:

Hey guys is there a way we can get a super bream sponsor? :lol:

Well done guys, that's an awesome session and a great report too. I have been talkin up the super bass and super bream for ages - love em! for me it's especially the super bass - consistently good on the bream, bass and flatty's. I've got that many lures it's beyond a joke but the $7 Kmart ones are my consistent achievers. My better half won't even consider using anything else and thats probably why she always out fishes me :unsure:

Thanks for sharing guys!

Nice work boys!!

That was a top read and very nice results!!

Where abouts on the brissy river were you boys fishing?

Im definitely going to fish the river and i have already stocked up on super bream!!

good luck gents :cheer:

yotzaa wrote:

Nice work boys!!

Im definitely going to fish the river and i have already stocked up on super bream!!

breaky creek mate. Man just went to 2 kmarts to hunt for the Super bream, but all sold out!!! Bloody hell! They must sell like pancakes!

Thanks soo much for the support guys. I'm glad a few people took the time to actually read my little essay. :) Yeah, the place usually goes real hard with the livies as well but it's always on and off so whenever they don't work, we usually throw in a couple of lures just to see how they go.

So gutted I won't be able to go for the next couple of weeks but, got exams left right and center, the Brisbane River should of just let us catch nothing!

Mungrel Jack wrote:

yotzaa wrote:
Nice work boys!!

breaky creek mate. Man just went to 2 kmarts to hunt for the Super bream, but all sold out!!! Bloody hell! They must sell like pancakes!

Yeah mate, we both Sunnybank and Garden City Kmart are sold out as well. Indooropilly may have a few left if your around the area.

Mungrel Jack wrote:

hey did you boys use any light sinkers ontop of the leader? those superbream lures are too light to flog out i reckon....

Nah we didn't use any sinkers with the superbream, they are a bit of a pain to cast hey. We sacrificed our line weight for better casting, I found 10 pound leader was just sufficient enough but you'll definitely have some fun if a thready or large jewie hits it.

Mungrel Jack wrote:

yeah i think my line was a bit too heavy... usin 20lb line, 30lb leader.. only managed to cast out about 30 meters in perfect conditions... not far enough i reckon... will change my line and see how it goes.. hopefully no bust offs but gotta hook one first :(

Yeah I know what you mean man, I got my heart broken too many times on the 10 pound hey. We caught our first thready last year on 17 pound leader after getting sick of bust offs but I reckon you'd be safe even with 20 if you can cast it.

I found what worked best for us was to cast just short of structure and let the current drift it. No real retrieve to be honest hey, just let the Brisbane river do it's work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thank you so much for allowing me to take the Report of the Month for May! Thanks again for the support and for enduring through the millions of words my post comprised of. Hopefully this will be a new beginning for better fishing and better reports. Thanks again guys.

nufinspecial wrote:

Hey guys, thank you so much for allowing me to take the Report of the Month for May! Thanks again for the support and for enduring through the millions of words my post comprised of. Hopefully this will be a new beginning for better fishing and better reports. Thanks again guys.

Well said nothing and congrats.

Look forward to your future reports.

Angus

Archived