Mullet minimum sizes how to tell for live bait????

crazywalrus

Hi

I have been reading through the new QLD minimum size limits and have been trying to work out which mullet you are able to use as bait. I can see there are many different species but how do you tell them apart so you are not doing the wrong thing when collecting live bait?

Mugil cephalus (Sea Mullet)

Liza vaigiensis (Diamondscale Mullet)

Aldrichetta forsteri (Yelloweye Mullet)

Liza argentea (Goldspot Mullet)

Valamugil seheli (Bluetail Mullet)

Other Mugilidae

I know in NSW there are allowances made for Poddy mullet "The term "poddy" refers to the juvenile of a particular species. Poddy mullet are very popular with anglers for use as live bait, especially in estuaries and around river mouths for flathead and off the beach when targeting tailor and mulloway/jewfish. However, it is difficult to identify the various species of mullet, particularly when they are juveniles. As a result anglers may take any species of mullet, for use as live bait only, provided they are less than 15cm and the total number does not exceed 20."

So can anybody tell me what to do so I am not in trouble with the fisheries dept?

Cheers Ted

hehe no no I am a Queenslander, was FNQLD now Brisbane, I find the NSW DPI a much better site for information. Thanks Dassa, I did find that one on the QDPI site however both of them are 30cm minimum. I find the poddy mullet in the creeks looks a lot like the sea mullet. A 30cm live bait is a pretty big bait.

http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/Summary/speciessummary.php?id=785&genusname=mugil&speciesname=cephalus Sea Mullet

/>http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/identification/SpeciesList.cfm?famcode=359&areacode=

All Mullet

/>http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/keys/Allkeys.php?famcode=359 Identification Keys click on Western Central Pacific (Key No. 181) Then Open Key.

Have fun :lol:

Whiskers wrote:

Hahahaha ta for that but I'm starting to regret even asking :laugh:

Cam

Hey mate,

I used to cast net for live mullet quite reguarly, and I've found the bulk of my catch look like yellow eyed mullet, with only very few being sea mullet.

I'm yet to see a diamond scale mullet from the areas I reguarly fish.

elops wrote:

/>http://fishbase.sinica.edu.tw/identification/SpeciesList.cfm?famcode=359&areacode=

Wow I have looked through most of these guys and I find it hard to see much of difference to between them.

I just spoke to the fisheries guy at Pinkenba and he said that in relation to the juvenile ones it is hard to tell them apart and as long as they are for bait they do not take a lot of notice.

It's definatley a tuff one rules like this really make it hard for fishos trying to do the right thing but seriously now how do we justify size limits on mullet when you can legally keep huge breeding threddies? What's next Forktail catfish closed seasons LOL

Cam

crazywalrus wrote:

I know in NSW there are allowances made for Poddy mullet "The term "poddy" refers to the juvenile of a particular species. Poddy mullet are very popular with anglers for use as live bait, especially in estuaries and around river mouths for flathead and off the beach when targeting tailor and mulloway/jewfish. However, it is difficult to identify the various species of mullet, particularly when they are juveniles. As a result anglers may take any species of mullet, for use as live bait only, provided they are less than 15cm and the total number does not exceed 20."

I agree, I feel if they are not going to police it they should put in place a similar rule as NSW above. At the end of the day the bag limits and minimum sizes are not in place for the honest concerned fisho, just the scum. Cheers Ted

Archived