Lure Prices

i can feel a can of worms opening here, LOL ;)

In my opinion it really boils down to a confidence in whatever lure i have on the end of my line. i have caught fish on $40 lures as i have $4, the point is when you feel that the lure you have on is going to catch fish price tag becomes obsolete (until you lose it :lol::blink: )

I would mention, however, that some of the higher end Jap Candy such as Megabass and Jackall do have refinements that cheaper lures dont seem to have; thats what you are paying for. If anyone has ever slowly rolled a Megabass Anthrax of the corner of a weed bed to have a giant bass or toga maul it, you'll know what i mean. BUT that is not to say that a Kokoda bought from Kmart wont catch the same fish.

You can say the same about all tackle at the end of the day really. A $1K outfit will catch fish the same as a $100 outfit. Which is nicer to use though? which will make you feel like you are going to nail more fish? Sure there will be differences but i know plenty of old timers that will outfish anyone on their old broomstick rods and alvey reels too.

i personally love the fact that there is choice in the market place, bring it on i say! At the end of the day anglers will vote with their wallets anyway.

Its a debate thats been going on forever !!!

this thread doesnt make sense, how is megabass any more of a ripoff then jackall if your buying on price? as people said they have caught fish on lures under $10. people spend money on products they belive in and are happy to pay the coin for what they want i cant see any evidence of a rip off at all.

kokoda are like hyundai, they put out cheap stuff that does work.

megabass and the top end brands are like ferrari, they offer the level of refinement and detail you can't get for $7 a pop.

are they a rip off, probably and especially so in australia (look at tacklewarehouse.com and see many for half the price here). BUT, the level of balancing and internal chambers, materials and the refinement demand a higher price tag. for the average joe, getting half as many fish should be fine but for a pro, that extra fish or two could be the difference between the winners cheque and an also ran.

as Sweresy says, it's up to us anglers to vote with our wallets.

i buy buy equal quantities of each price range lure. and have probably found that the more you use it the more fish it catches, and so ur confidence builds with that lure.

if ur after a cheap but relatively well preforming lure try the gladiator range, tackle store at carsledine sells them for $7.95 ea, used them a little lately and had fairly good results.

as said before but horses for courses, some people are very dedicated to our sport.

just my opinion.

to be honest i sometimes i wonder how kokoda gets past copy right stuff

here are some of their lures (top to bottom)

sprog (sx43)

wee woop (chubby jackell)it might not look like one in the pic but when its in your hand its hard to spot the difference

bream bandit (halco scorpion)

sprog.jpg

not sure im adding to the value of this thread just putting it out there :P

Hi Guys, if your new to lure fishing or fish areas where your lure losses are high, have a look at the Berkly Frenzy range of lures.

Terrible hooks but they swim straight and deep, also have a nice rattle something i like in a deep diving lure and at under $3.50 each you don't worry about loosing a few. cheers wayne IMG_1473.jpg

Joel Eadie wrote:

sprog (sx43)

wee woop (chubby jackell)it might not look like one in the pic but when its in your hand its hard to spot the difference

sprog.jpg

do you know much they are at a local tackle store?

just curious,

cheers

Travis wrote:

Do you think its the tackle shops marking them up?

nah, the stores work on pretty reasonable and similar margins. the problem is there are so many middle men being imported lures, the distributors in the country of origin take their cut, the importers then take their cut, etc

FishoDave wrote:

Joel Eadie wrote:

sprog (sx43)

sprog.jpg

just curious,

cheers

the kokoda lures? or the origionals?

i havent seen the sprog in the shops i found it on thier website but the sx43goes for like $23 i think

bream bandit $4 halco scorpion ?? (its pretty cheep though)

wee woop $20 for a pack of three, in that you get a red and gold which are deep divers and a green/black which is a shallow diver, the equlivient chubby is $25 each

Joel Eadie wrote:

FishoDave wrote:
Joel Eadie wrote:

sprog (sx43)

sprog.jpg

just curious,

cheers

the kokoda lures? or the origionals?

i havent seen the sprog in the shops i found it on thier website but the sx43goes for like $23 i think

bream bandit $4 halco scorpion ?? (its pretty cheep though)

wee woop $20 for a pack of three, in that you get a red and gold which are deep divers and a green/black which is a shallow diver, the equlivient chubby is $25 each

Halco Scorpions for 4 bucks?!?! where are you getting them from? cause i see then for $12 at Kmart! :pinch:

Cheers,

Qbkami

I think its a confidence, obviously your eco gears and jackalls have put XXX r&d into they're products they 'demand' the price tag? - in the end though, you only get what people are willing to pay and if they see pro's catching them time & again then why not give it a try?

kiara_poltegerist wrote:

put it this way, any lure can catch fish on a good day and in perfect conditions. It's when the fish are pressured, or if you're fishing a common spot, that's when the better stuff pays off.

Seems you got quite an interest in promoting this stuff Kiara?

Throw up a few reports in the next few months and I might believe you.

Cheers

51MPL wrote:

I think its a confidence, obviously your eco gears and jackalls have put XXX r&d into they're products they 'demand' the price tag? - in the end though, you only get what people are willing to pay and if they see pro's catching them time & again then why not give it a try?

Don't be fooled by what you see in magazines and some forums. A lot of fish are not caught with the lure that is shown in the picture. Indeed some are not even caught by the fisherman holding the fish ;)

ellicat wrote:

51MPL wrote:

Don't be fooled by what you see in magazines and some forums. A lot of fish are not caught with the lure that is shown in the picture. Indeed some are not even caught by the fisherman holding the fish ;)

webby :blush: as a great example

hooked_on_trout wrote:

kiara_poltegerist wrote:
put it this way, any lure can catch fish on a good day and in perfect conditions. It's when the fish are pressured, or if you're fishing a common spot, that's when the better stuff pays off.

Seems you got quite an interest in promoting this stuff Kiara?

Throw up a few reports in the next few months and I might believe you.

Cheers

Um... I'm just relating my own experiences and I dont benefit whether or not you believe anything I write mate, so personally, I dont really care.

Reports ? For your benefit of doubt? Er.. no thanks. I have a life.

Like 51MPL said.. Alot of the extra bucks are R + D. But as previously mentioned of course more quality components definately push the price up also. The expensive lure brands are predominantely the ones that create a mad lure and then the kokoda's come in and rip off the design with some lesser quality products/paint and sell them for half as much. Comes down to if your a tackle nut. Some people will hose a $hitload on piss every weekend where as some consider that a waste. Others will spend thousands on a car stereo whereas the rest of us are happy with the stocko ones. What is a rip off to one person is cool with another.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Like 51MPL said.. A lot of the extra bucks are R + D. But as previously mentioned of course more quality components definitely push the price up also. The expensive lure brands are predominantly the ones that create a mad lure and then the kokoda's come in and rip off the design with some lesser quality products/paint and sell them for half as much. Comes down to if your a tackle nut. Some people will hose a $hitload on piss every weekend where as some consider that a waste. Others will spend thousands on a car stereo whereas the rest of us are happy with the stocko ones. What is a rip off to one person is cool with another.

Yes well 35 dollar lures, simply put, those that can afford them

R and D?

I just understood what you said.

Does anyone actually have any facts on what is spent on "R and D"?

I mean lets face it, your paying 35 dollars for something made of materials that would cost the manufacturer around $00.50 to purchase, that is my point, when will it stop?

I mean how good can a lure get?

It will be similar to electronic fishing reels, simply put, overpriced rubbish that only a certain breed of fisherman purchase.

As for slow rolling a megabass past a weed bed, well you can slow roll an atomic just as well, as a matter of fact I could not reel any slower and the atomics still maintain a good action.

Just an example.

Also thanks "Romast", for the input, pity it failed to connect with the topic at hand, but as soon as I get some "massive squid lures", I will know who to call.

Cheers

While I was in K-mart today I noticed a brand new Frenzy stand just put out and proceeded to empty it of all my favourites at $3.40 each. Treble upgrades will take the cost to about $3.55. And my confidence is very high, my reports can verify that ;)

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Like 51MPL said.. Alot of the extra bucks are R + D. But as previously mentioned of course more quality components definately push the price up also. The expensive lure brands are predominantely the ones that create a mad lure and then the kokoda's come in and rip off the design with some lesser quality products/paint and sell them for half as much. Comes down to if your a tackle nut. Some people will hose a $hitload on piss every weekend where as some consider that a waste. Others will spend thousands on a car stereo whereas the rest of us are happy with the stocko ones. What is a rip off to one person is cool with another.

Agreed mate.

I would prefer to spend money on fishing gear despite seeming a rip off even to me sometimes than spending it in some other ways.

Its like anything as you say.

I see a person driving a 200K Porche Cayenne and think to myself "what a waste. As if thats going on the beach" :P.

But horses for courses...

Arguing over whether or not people should invest in these lures is about as productive as the tools that love spraying around the word noob etc. You do what you need to do to have fun.

Angus

hooked_on_trout wrote:

R and D?

I just understood what you said.

Does anyone actually have any facts on what is spent on "R and D"?

I mean lets face it, your paying 35 dollars for something made of materials that would cost the manufacturer around $00.50 to purchase, that is my point, when will it stop?

I mean how good can a lure get?

It will be similar to electronic fishing reels, simply put, overpriced rubbish that only a certain breed of fisherman purchase.

As for slow rolling a megabass past a weed bed, well you can slow roll an atomic just as well, as a matter of fact I could not reel any slower and the atomics still maintain a good action.

Just an example.

Also thanks "Romast", for the input, pity it failed to connect with the topic at hand, but as soon as I get some "massive squid lures", I will know who to call.

Cheers

c'mon mate. i think that's going a little bit too far here. Everyone's been trying to give you constructive input and comments, and it has been reiterated constantly that it is all totally up to every individual to make whatever purchase decision they like based on whatever suits them best.

I dont think anyone really cares whether you will buy expensive lures or not mate, not even the retailers selling them, and I dont know whether you realise, but your thread is starting to look like a an outlet for your whining and griping about stuff that is too expensive from your POV.

hooked_on_trout wrote:

I purchased a Jackal squirrel today for $25.00.

A lot yes and I only buy 3 or 4 of these a year at most.

But when I looked at the Mega-bass lures of the same size...$35.00!! :ohmy:

sorry but that is a just a rip-off, Mega Bass is one range I will not be buying, no matter how good they claim to be.

cheers

$35 is worth about 2ce as much as a silstar and okuma combo. lol

shortie wrote:

hooked_on_trout wrote:
I purchased a Jackal squirrel today for $25.00.

A lot yes and I only buy 3 or 4 of these a year at most.

But when I looked at the Mega-bass lures of the same size...$35.00!! :ohmy:

sorry but that is a just a rip-off, Mega Bass is one range I will not be buying, no matter how good they claim to be.

cheers

$35 is worth about 2ce as much as a silstar and okuma combo. lol

Yes but that is why I post it because it catches fish and big ones at that.

Surely you don't think I posted that setup to show off some high end setup, I posted it because it is not high end at all.

The number of views this topic has had proves that people have an interest in lure prices, lets not seal the deal just yet, it is a competitive market.

Cheers

Archived