Aussie Whaler

matsmad

Hi guys. Im thinkin bout upgrading my tinny to one of these. It looks about 4.5m and rated to 40hp.

Dont know anything bout these boats, seeing what others opinions are. Im mostly using it for river fishing (2 to 3 people) and may venture out thru the bar every now and then. Also what are the problems with going a larger motor say up to 70hp?

Thanks, Matt.

as for putting a bigger engine on it, mine had a 40 though it was rated at 30hp, made the free board a little low but that was it, keep in mind you have to think about the strength on the transome and the extra weight on it too. if i was buying another boat in 4.5 mtr it would be a v hull, there alot more stable at rest once you get to the bigger ones compared to a 11ft job.

it'll void your insurance lol

ive got a 4.45 stessco v-hull with a 50 on the back and its very stable at rest and quite good in the chop.

fairly wide beam at 2.0m so that obviously helps a bit

but very happy with the stability, if you're getting a bout around the 4.5 i'd get a v-hull for sure as you never know when you'll feel like going out in to the bay or something

It will definitely void your insurance, plus the water police can fine you on the spot if you have an engine that doesn't comply with your build plates.

I looked at a couple of these boats on ebay before I picked up my tinny - look pretty cool but not sure what they like.

I also have a Stessco a 4.85 AMberjack very stable it have a beam that is as wide as boats up to 5.5 metres making it very stable it has a 75HP Evinrude E-Tec been in the Bay with it and it handled everything great, By the way its for sale if your interested Good price for a AFO member. :cheer:

daveylad wrote:

I also have a Stessco a 4.85 AMberjack very stable it have a beam that is as wide as boats up to 5.5 metres making it very stable it has a 75HP Evinrude E-Tec been in the Bay with it and it handled everything great, By the way its for sale if your interested Good price for a AFO member. :cheer:
P1000087.JPG

Not certain about the 4.5 I have been on a 5.5 and a 4.1 that was very similat to kriscos old boat.

Very stable at rest but not much freeboard so definably calm water only even the mouth of the river would be hairy . Mates 4.1 preformed brilliantly with a 30 tohatsu on it and definably would not go above a 40. A 70 would be a real handfull and downright dangerous.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

I love my little whaler! For dams and rivers its perfect! You can have 2 guys on one side of the boat and she barely moves, compared to my old v-tinny, where all u had to do was looked to the side and u thought u were going over!But as Kriso said, not good in chop, and kriso should know, its his old boat I bought!

But give it a clear run on the river at night, nothing feels better!

Archived