QLD Drivers Licence $150 rip off- Online Petition

Death Ray

Hi Guys,

I don't know if this topic has already been raised, but Anna Bligh has decided it would be fun to increase the cost of drivers licences by more than double.

For those who are interested here is a link to the QLD Parliament on-line petition. Lots of people have already signed up, and it would be great to get some real numbers behind this petition.

/>http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=1428&lIndex=-1

Cheers

peoples wages go up why shouldnt goods and services.

its always the same people that have a whinge about the conditions of our roads that refuse to help fund them.

Have you guys even looked at why there is an increase

cmon people there are more important fights/causes.

I would be interested to hear just how many members have had pay rises in the last 24 months.

I think the minimum wage went up a couple of bucks not long ago but if your earning a little over it your not entitled to it and then they just take it straight back off you anyway.

In 10 years time you have either made it or you will be dirt poor homeless, This country maybe one of the best economies in the world but the path we are taking is a very dark road and this overwhelming political greed will be our end.

Cam

Over the past 24 months - a couple.

I wonder what the increase is for?

I know we are getting new licenses (I think they start rolling out next month?) to replace the cheapo laminate job. These new licenses are a bit more expensive, and I remember seeing the price increase on the price chart while at the Dept Transport.

yeah ok. Lets all also pay no tax, no rego. In fact lets us all live of government money.

Gee with no one paying tax ,or for services we wont have a country to live in.

Why do people think this world owes them an existance.

Now do you really want to find out why the increases is happening. Do you want to be armed with a few more facts than simply "ITS GUNNA COST YOU MORE MORE MONEY SHAME SHAME SHAME"

/>http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/drivers-licences-to-double-in-price-20100512-uvwx.html

Hi Shortie - I am not sure as to the merits of the new Card (more security). For pensioners and other low income people it will be a big impact for them. Most of these people are already finding it hard to afford to maintain their mobility (Car). We already pay the high Rego and now pay the same fuel prices after the subsidy was dropped. If we are talking about a user pay system I think the current system is a little unfair to these people as they probably do not do much more than 2000 to 5000 km a year and pay the same rego as other folks and before you anybody gets on their high horse and says well they should not have a car I will ask. Would you like to give up your independence? I know a system of user pay would be almost impossible to implement based on the amount of kms you drive but it would be a fairer system. Why should a pensioner be paying the same as a travelling salesman for rego? I know the salesman will be paying more excise but it is still hardly fair.

Shortie Wrote: "yeah ok. Lets all also pay no tax, no rego. In fact lets us all live of government money.

Gee with no one paying tax ,or for services we wont have a country to live in.

Why do people think this world owes them an existance." Quote

A Lot of Pensioners did not have the compulsory superannuation contributions and have paid taxes all their lives. Sometimes for no fault of their own they find themselves without a nest egg to see them through their later years.

Also What I am not sure about either is that currently the boat license is included on a drivers license. Heavy vehicle licensees will be required to hold a second license. Will this be the case now with boat licenses?? not sure.

Just my thoughts . Cheers Ted

BTW i am not a pensioner (41)

Isn't it $152.40 for a 5 year license (in 2014 onwards) ? So $30 a year (as opposed to $15) You can put $30 away each year. Not the governments problem if people dont budget properly. You can find more than $30 a year on the floors of bars and clubs.

"A Lot of Pensioners did not have the compulsory superannuation contributions and have paid taxes all their lives. Sometimes for no fault of their own they find themselves without a nest egg to see them through their later years."

So peoples inability to think of their future and retirement is the governments fault?

crazywalrus wrote:

Hi Shortie - I am not sure as to the merits of the new Card (more security). For pensioners and other low income people it will be a big impact for them. Most of these people are already finding it hard to afford to maintain their mobility (Car). We already pay the high Rego and now pay the same fuel prices after the subsidy was dropped. If we are talking about a user pay system I think the current system is a little unfair to these people as they probably do not do much more than 2000 to 5000 km a year and pay the same rego as other folks and before you anybody gets on their high horse and says well they should not have a car I will ask. Would you like to give up your independence? I know a system of user pay would be almost impossible to implement based on the amount of kms you drive but it would be a fairer system. Why should a pensioner be paying the same as a travelling salesman for rego? I know the salesman will be paying more excise but it is still hardly fair.

If we're talking about rego then pensioners already get a 50% discount concession rate for vehicle registration.

$150 every 5 years is manageable and isn't going to be fully implemented until 2014 - IMHO plenty of notice and time to put away $35 37.5 each year for the next 4 years ;)

Terry H wrote:

So peoples inability to think of their future and retirement is the governments fault?

There is no fault to be apportioned here. The older retired community were not subjected to the financial education that is forced on everyone today. Material wealth has only increased to number 1 life importance in recent generations.

You seem to have everyone worked out shorty........

You insinuate that all pensioners play poker machines?

My mum is a pensioner and cant afford to play them and doesnt play them....

You also insinuate that everyone on this site voted the current government in except for yourself...???

Stop offending people, especially old age pensioners whos mothers and fathers went to war and fought for the water that you sit in your boat and fish in. To think my grandfather sat in a filthy stinking hole in changi as a prisoner of war of the japanese for 4 years and you insult his kids that he happened to have after surviving that hell hole and making it back home.

If he didnt make it back all those years ago, this post wouldnt exist because I wouldnt be here......cheers Beejay

ellicat wrote:

Terry H wrote:

There is no fault to be apportioned here. The older retired community were not subjected to the financial education that is forced on everyone today. Material wealth has only increased to number 1 life importance in recent generations.

The way the post was which I was quoting, ( I thought ) sounded like it was the governments fault.

I don't think this is a matter of material wealth and the importance of it in ones lifestyle. Surely people think of their retirements and what they would like to do in their retirement. Surely at one point in time you would ask the question "Gee, how am I going to afford these post-retirement plans?"

And if not, then all hail the material world we have become. Especially if it means people have now started thinking about their retirement and what they're going to do with it; particularly their financial planning of it!

When these generations were growing up it was a "given" that the government would provide for them in retirement. Changing attitudes and the realisation that government couldn't afford this support has only been a topic in the last 20 years. Prior to that superannuation etc was for the minority and usually a defined benefit. Banks were regulated and borrowing for investment was even rarer.

So, yes it is now a good thing that people are taking advantage of the current financial world and preparing for their retirement.

Ok mate. Well, for obvious reasons (my age) I can't really comment on your points above. So I won't try and continue :) Auditing Defined Benefits superannuation funds are fun though...

I will also leave my thoughts on whether or not I think those people should be driving :)

My point still remains, putting aside $30 a year is not difficult. I suggest if someone is finding that too hard, they have much bigger problems to worry about than being able to renew their license.

Apart from anything to do with auditing I agree :) :laugh:

The $30 a year argument is an idealogical one rather than reality though. I believe 99.9% of people will not get there bills and go "lucky I have been putting $2.50 in that jar each month" lol :laugh:

....and as shortie just pointed out the wife will keep stealing the money from it for the kids lunches :laugh:

Haha.

Well I have a good half a dozen online internet-only accounts to which I transfer money into each fortnight to cover various bills, like mobile phones, car rego, insurances. I will admit though, license renewals are not part of that :P But then again, I pi*s more than the license renewals up the walls on weekends, so its not really an issue lol.

Set up the transfers once and you dont have to think about putting the money aside :P Come bill time, you hvae the cash sitting there to pay it, and dont have to put yourself out for a particular week.

Being Disciplined is the hardest part.

i have no worries paying more when i can see benefits of where that extra profit is going or the extra costs involved to deem that price rise mandatory, In this case how ever i dont, better roads - my arse maybe if they could actualy plan a better road system in the first place it would be okay, but clem jones - epic fail, the Go Between bridge will be the same, seriously $1.50 to cross when one 200mtrs up the road is free and puts 1 measly block away from where the new one goes? hale street is constantly backed up now because you can no longer turn right onto coro drive and must take milton road which was allready congested. i think also the extra rego i pay compared & fuel levy that no other state pays allready covered this.

also from a view that people dont see, you also have the transport department calling in and fineing small business owners just because they didnt have a roadyworthy book locked in a cabinet when they came in because someone may steal it even though they need to have a current roadworthy license, approved inspection station license and the books serial numbers recorded as being owned by that inspection station at time of purchase.

Anna wants all this extra coin but cant say why? better roads , show me one since she's been in government, explain to me why sydney adelaide etc can do it no worries at alot lower cost there roads a no worse then ours. apparently we need all this extra coin, just like we need to piss it down the drain so we can have a footy grand final in brisbane?

It's all very well until something unforeseen happens to your self or someone close.

You can't insure for everything.

Good luck to all those that get through there lives without financial difficulties.

It's not just the $15 a year it's everything now compare that with pension increases and yes things can get very tough.

Clem Jones? Have only used this once. It was 5am in the morning and saved nothing on my travel time. During peak hour though, I think it would provide some benefit?

Hale Street? Isn' this just a temporary thing (no right turn) until the bridge is completed?

Some of these toll roads you mention though are kind of a moot point. They are not built by the government, they are privately funded operations, which is why we are paying tolls on them.

No footy grand final in Brisbane - Sydney secure the rights to that for a cool $85 million.

terry my point is the 2 turkeys, Bli and campble want all this extra coin yet decisions in the past of how to spend it is a utter waste. for instenance Bli wants to sell QLD rail but at the same time was keen to bid on the footy grand final? Our states economic future whith dumb and dumber at the wheel is destined to crash and we the people are left to fork out more and more to fix it. i hate how someone can be elected and consistantly screw up time and time again but stay employed untill election time again, wish i got that sort of deal at work.

Here's a better road Kriso:

The Bruce Highway between Burpengary and Bribie Island turn off. :)

Edit: yea I do agree with you Kriso. Can't believe she survived the last election. Oh well, all we can do is keep voting when the time comes and hope enough support our own viewpoints.

Terry H wrote:

Here's a better road Kriso:

The Bruce Highway between Burpengary and Bribie Island turn off. :)

Edit: yea I do agree with you Kriso. Can't believe she survived the last election. Oh well, all we can do is keep voting when the time comes and hope enough support our own viewpoints.

The Ipswich Motorway is starting to look good too but I think HWY funding and planning are a federal government issue?

i think the federal gov chips in but doesnt cover the full cost. if everytime there was a vote taken on price increases and the govenment showed exactly where the extra money is going and what it benefits where people would vote it in. but asking for more coin with out presentation of a sound business plan i would rather invest my money else where, as that is really what it is a manditory investment in our states future.

I know someone in a senior position in main roads and she told me stories of the massive bonuses paid to a lot of supervisors etc when a big job like the gateway is completed ahead of schedule. For example some individuals may recieve bonuses of in excess of $150,000! When there are limited companies with the infrastructure to bid for tendors it's like writing a blank cheque for themselves at the taxpayers expense. For example the management of these construction companies know it will take 2 yrs to build a piece of infrastructure and place a date of completion for 2 yrs and 6 months. So this enables them to basically expect a massive bonus at the end.

And the school scheme, what a rort! I own a business and pay a lot of tax, get no childcare or health benifits and get sick to death of paying huge taxes and seeing it go to waste. I have to bust my balls to make 50grand to pay in tax so these idiots can throw it around willy-nilly.

Don't get me wrong, I know we need to contribute to keep public services for all our use but every single thing just keeps going up and up.

Polititians need to be held more accountable.

Increased tax on fuel, rego, ciggas, electricity, cars and more speeding fine revenue when you wait for days for a cop to respond to a break and enter. It's getting beyond a joke and selling public assets! Come on Bligh! I can't wait to se her gone.

Max pwr: Granted, my work is as an external auditor; and the closest I have been to the tendering & construction process is auditing several outgoing claims of a large government project up north. ie The construction companies put in a bill to government for the work done, we make sure that this is all honkey dorey and in accordance with what the government agreed to pay.

Given the amount of work that goes into the Tender process, and the amount of review that occurs, I doubt it would be a simple case of "We know it will take 2 years, but we'll say 2.5 years so we get a bonus!"

It probably isn't that straightforward, and I don't know what really goes on but my point really is that there's a huge amount of waste in government spending and the person who told me many stories about what goes on is definitely in a position to know and a credible person.

Archived