Gimbal belts

Feral

Well I have spotted these el cheapo plastic gimball belts in Big W for about $10. In my day these things were usually leather or canvas, but what intrigues me is the bolt in them.

Does the rod still fit in the socket on top of the bolt, is the bolt supposed to be removed, do some rods have holes / grooves for the bolt or what? [img size=371]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/gimball_belt.JPG

post-134-144598412787_thumb.jpg

In the boat roads, you will notice that at the very bottom of the butt is a metal section with grooves in it

As kriso mentioned you, whack it in there and there's only one degree of movement the rod has, and that's pulling up and down, not twisting or anything fancy like that.

I'm not sure if other rods have it, I've only seen it on boat rods.... But you won't see me wearing one of those with my rods!

Tim: Yes, very comfy.

I dunno how the ol' family jewels would go after a session with that one above :sick:

edit: then again, it all depends on the type of fishing. For lighter fishing it could be alright I guess?

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2007/04/24 22:25

Thats a clever idea Red.

If I get one, they do one with a lot bigger backing, and a double cross strap. That sized one is not really much use except for holding rods when things are boring for long periods.

I used to use a leather version fishing for tailor (small school fish to 5 kilo's) in the surf many years ago, where you constantly had a heavy rod but digging into your leg.

I doubt it would really offer that much protection from the but if something big was on the other end of the rod.

I like this one, you can handle big fish in a small boat without a fighting chair.

It balances out nicely and you can drink a beer while fighting a fish. It pulls more from you chest and not your beer belly.

The pressure is on your legs and I fish it higher up... than photo.

3455_1024.ts1177447114265.jpg

3456_1024.ts1177447565203.jpg

Archived