Glenlyon Dam 23-27 April 2007

Brian D

My wife and I went to Glenlyon Dam for our first time and she survived, but only just. We were there for 5 days which gave me 7 sessions on the Dam, over which time I caught about 40 YB’s (Yellow Belly or Golden Perch) but she (wifie) caught none! Fishing with “she who is not a fisher person†gets a little difficult sometimes but the company was good, love you dear!:ohmy:

After collecting some shrimp we headed to the personally unknown dam looking for a spot where Murray Cod hang out. I saw this spot (see photo), cut the motor and started up the electric to putter stealthily over to the selected tree where we tied up. I had the rods all pre-rigged so no noise on arrival, all I needed to do was connect the live bait and catch a Cod. So that’s what I did, except wifie doesn’t touch live shrimp so I rigged my rod dropped the bait into a likely hole and handed it to her while I repeated the action.:angry:

Well within 5 mins she was bored, so she put the rod in the rod holder and started looking around with her binoculars at the goats climbing all over the rocks. Me, I was busy casting lures that I had rigged on 2 other rods while keeping an eye on my baited rod. Next thing I hear is the ratchet in her rod holder go “ripâ€Â. I turned in a micro second, just in time to watch my rod disappearing into the deep hole I so attentively searched out. Yeap, my best rod over the side attached to the Cod I knew was there with my name on it. :evil: :pinch: :sick:

Wife didn’t use the clip; she just placed the rod in the top of the holder. Was I pissed? You bet you, but I didn’t loose the cool. Just sat there sulking with the pips for what seamed a life time, while wife was too scared to talk. All I could think about was “wish I had bought Jordan along instead of the wife, he would have dived in after itâ€Â. We left shortly after I stopped sulking without doing any more real fishing.:ohmy: :(

No fishers would blame me if I never let her in the boat again but I did. The next day we tried another spot with YB’s in mind but the after affect from yesterday were still there and wifie couldn’t settle. I had only landed 1 YB when I hear “I’m bored, let’s go exploringâ€Â. So we spent the next hour or so have a cruise around the dam and went home with 1 fish.:blush:

After that I ditched the deckie :) and went solo (what’s that – I told you so says Feral):P . Like I say I caught about 40 YB’s, I could have caught more but I got a bit bored with the shrimp over the side and retrieve fish., then repeat, so I went casting and trolling with no success.:unsure:

A couple of points I should mention.

Brian Dare got bitten by a Red Back Spider while I was there and he’s not very well, he’ll be OK but pretty sick.:ohmy:

Next time I will be taking my down rigger to get at the big buggers way down at the 60’ spots.;)

A lot of people take more fish then they should. One group of 4 were keeping maximum per day. They were actually cooking too many to eat so they could keep more the next day. 10 in precession per person meant to them catch 40, cook 40, feed the birds with the left overs then catch another 40 next day and do the same for a week.:sick: :angry:

Would I go back – yeap sure would, right after I catch my next Barra. :whistle: [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/y14.JPG

post-118-14459841332_thumb.jpg

Heading for the Boat Ramp at about 10.30am just before the storm hit - yeap that's right 10.30 just very dark clouds.

What would a fishing trip with Brian D be with out rain.

1st night we got smashed at Boonah with about 1 1/2\" in about an hour. 3rd day I got hit in the boat with a rain storm but the land stayed dry. 5th day it rained most the day.

It's even rained while I was unpacking the boat at home. [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/ra.JPG

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/29 10:03

post-118-144598413326_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys - yeah YB's are fun and enjoyable. They look great and as you say jim they are native.It was a bit easy though! I liken it to catching bass in Hinze. The biggest challenge was to find a new school to target. Once you found them it was just a matter of dropping a live shrimp over the side of the boat.

I forgot to mention that we only keep 3 for the table - all the rest went back. [img size=387]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/z.JPG

post-118-144598413333_thumb.jpg

haha well done brian, great report, you could of smiled in your photo though haha. yea im disapointed in you for not swimming for you rod, theres not even any sharks in there. well done mate, 40 yb, thats awesome and to let so many go, karma to you.

Thanks for the report Brian. It's gotta be a good trip when you know you're in for a new rod and reel with the wife's blessing:P

Good to hear they're still firing after what must be close to 2 months of constant fishing pressure.

Did you explore the whole dam ? Did you check out the caves ? How'd you find the accommodation ?

I've found the cod to be allusive at GL so to lose the rod reel AND the cod would have been heartbreaking. How deep was the hole ?

(Jordan - no wonder he wasn't smiling in the pic)

Pity about the system rorters. At least they would have received some slight punishment by having to fillet that many - the worst part of fishing IMO.

With the dam at 14% it would have been a good time to save some GPS points. When it's 100% the water is only a stubby-cap flip from the lower cabins.

On a brighter note, the wife has asked if we can go there for the long weekend. :)

:) :) :) :)

Thanks Jords - by the way the reason I'm not smiling is that I asked the missus to take a photo and she had a whinge cause she hadn't caught a fish and said that she's not my personal assistant, and that was after she lost my outfit.:S

Ellicat - spot on - wifie said \"OH well stop sulking, now you get to but a new one\". But that didn't take the pain away. Bye bye Cod bye bye.

We explored the whole dam. South to the point where it was very narrow and only 6' deep and as far west up the other arm as I dared, past the big cement water tank on the northen bank about 6 bends past the caves. I didn't set the GPS - I just used it as a visual chart plotter.

The accomadation was what you said. Comfy, clean and sufficient. Far price for cabins. We took our own George Forman Grill and outdoor table and chairs and just used that to cook. Here's where we stayed at GL. [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/xx.JPG

post-118-144598413338_thumb.jpg

Glad you got a few Brian,

I to get bored with sitting on a school and having them commit suicide on live shrimp! I like to get a few, then go searching with trusty casting rod in hand!

Mate, I'd also change to those fancy smancy rod holders that grab hold of your rod when you put it in. (Ray uses them). Tell your missus its necessary, coz obviously its the wrong type of rod holder, and you dont want her to lose her fish next time (very important to not Glare at this stage of the conversation!, dont mention the rod and reel!).

hope you got GPS co-ords for where you lost that rod. When the dam drops a few feet, you can always take Jordan for a weekender!

Don't worry about the GPS markings, I know where abouts the rod was heading - the tree we were tied up to has my claw marks in it.

And yes I will be updating the holders at HER expense. What am I saying - it's my wallet.

Here's oe with me smiling just for Jords [img size=461]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/y5.JPG

post-118-144598413347_thumb.jpg

Great reporting Brian, Sad about the rod thou,And the COD, Well I supose you could buy a better one without getting into trouble now. :P

40 YBs I should talk to Glenda about going out that way. :whistle:

Cabins look comfy & cosy, Thats better than roughing it.

She will be happy with that.

Glad to see ya had a good trip .:)

Thanks guys

Lozzel - I think you and your better half would realy love GL. It's a great place, lovely dam and easy fishing. It's not far away and is a pleasant drive. Cabins are comfy and people are very friendly. Well worth the weekend.

Here's a pic of our mess!:S (woops missed it)

Aarron spot on - the ones we ate were realy good - no fat due to expert filleter;) , and lightly grilled with lemon pepper and low fat butter. Yum.:)

Jord's I can't wait to see the next video - that reel is still smoking - crap man I can't wait to get out there again.:woohoo:

Tim :P

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/04/30 18:25

From the Qld Govt Website.

I was reading this just the other day so it was fresh.

I have seen photo comparissons as well.

The ones that are strongly Yellow are the Murry River strain. The less yellow ones are native to the Fitzroy and Dawson rivers. So in other words the fish Brian is holding would be a Murray strain, and the one taken in the water the Fitzroy-Dawson strain.

\"Golden perch (Yellowbelly) (Macquaria ambigua)

Three distinct strains of golden perch are recognised in Queensland so it is important to stock your dam with the one that is native to your area.

The Dawson River golden perch (Macquaria ambigua oriens), which is native to the Fitzroy-Dawson system, may be stocked in dams in the Fitzroy, Mackenzie, Nogoa, Dawson, Isaac and Comet river basins.

Murray-Darling golden perch (Macquaria ambigua ambigua) have been stocked regularly in southern coastal river basins as part of the Recreational Fishing Enhancement Program. They may be stocked in dams in the Burnett, Nogo, Barambah, Auburn, Burrum, Mary, Caboolture, Maroochy, North Pine, South Pine, Brisbane, Bremer, Lockyer, Stanley, Logan, Albert and South Coast river basins (including the Nerang and Coomera rivers, and Currumbin and Tullebudgera creeks)\".

Cheers

Angus

Archived