Fished north pine yesterday sat 28th

pcsolutionman

My brother and I fished north pine dam yesterday for the first time from about 1:30pm till just on dark. He fished some worms while I tossed some lures around. The waether looke ok as we got there but soon turned nasty, it didnt rain on us but it was windy as hell and really stormy looking. We ended up with about 6 small tilapia,1 very small bass about 26cm, and one eel tailed catfish. all the fish were caught on the bait.

I tried just about every lure I own soft plastics,deep divers,bibless minows,poppers, and could not even get single strike. I eventually gave up on the lure fishing about 5pm because it was just too windy thats when I bagged the small bass and eel tailed catfish.

I was realy dissapointed with the results as i am used to getting plenty of bass when I fish baroon bocket even fromm the bank.

Is this a typical catch for NP or was I unlucky? There didnt seem to be any obvious structure to fish so I just covered as much ground as possible.

With the water level so far down i couldnt find any water Where My deep divers wernt hitting bottom.

Heres a few pics [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/eel_tailed_caty.jpg

post-1283-144598413368_thumb.jpg

i ve fished their twice the first i just met up with a few guys and caught the last part of an awesome session wher i caught my first bass on a 3inch shaky shad in pumpkin seed

colour

the second time i nicks

you need to be there at dawn or dusk and have abit of knowledge of area to find the underwater structure in the dam

Because of the drought, the Bass at North Pine have more reserved feeding habits then what they normally would. NPD has dropped down to under 15% and it's really putting hurt on the fish, we saw a dead 1.3-1.4m Eel (Yes Terry, 1.3-1.4m) and 65cm Yellowbelly washed up on the bank today.

You usually get the small Bass and most other species in the dam when using bait. Today a mate and I ended up with 14 Bass, 5 over the 50 mark and a PB for myself at 53 Fork. Also Johnny bagged a 40cm Yellowbelly and I caught a 36cm Silver Perch.

We found them off the shallow points today and around the arm mouths pretty late in the day. The first fish was landed at around 7am and the last at around 11am. The only fish caught in reasonablly deep water was Johnny's Yellowbely.

It's all about finding the fish really and sometimes you're lucky enough to find actively feeding fish well after sun up, like we did today. We would have caught more but had to leave them biting.

Lures that worked were Jackall TN50's, TN60's and Mask Vibe 60's. It was a costly day for me loosing 4 Jackalls, a G-Vibe and a Plastic :angry: . Oh well thats fishing.

Troy

Yeah I don't see why paddle power is such a bad thing. I wish I could get a hold of one of those licenses! But yeah, the dam is far too low to launch boats now.

They did an electrofish around the dam wall a while back for research purposes and they were getting some 70cm+ fork length Bass so they are definately in there.

Johnny pulled a 60cm Fork Bass from North Pine a month or so back as well which is a thumping Bass so the answer is yes they can acctually be caught that big :P .

Where abouts did you fish Lee? You're more then welcome to come along next time I'm out there.

Troy

blue_mako wrote:

Johnny pulled a 60cm Fork Bass from North Pine a month or so back as well which is a thumping Bass so the answer is yes they can acctually be caught that big :P .

Where abouts did you fish Lee? You're more then welcome to come along next time I'm out there.

Troy

Troy, Lee's PB Bass is 68cm so you wont have to convince his they have been caught :P

Lee: I find North Pine very hit and miss. As Troy said, there is a fair bit of luck involved. WE have had sessions where double hookups non stop for an hour and not uncommon. But then others where you are hard pressed for a fish.

I always find morning more rewarding though.

Oh and there are still some points with steep banks so you can cast right into deep water. Try having a scout around Forgans Cove to find these.

Angus

P.S. I have just moved this to the reports section :)

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/04/30 07:50

pcsolutionman wrote:

I still see no reason why they shouldnt allow paddle craft like kayaks on a dam like that? its beyond me<br /><br />Post edited by: pcsolutionman, at: 2007/04/29 21:10

Same deal as for the boats.

Join the canoe club and you can get on.

Dont believe Troy, he could catch 50cm bass in his bath tub I reckon! a lot of anglers are struggling there at the moment. Experience and knowledge (aka Troy) will get fish, but otherwise pickings are lean.

Lee, re fishing North Pine. I originally held a license until the Pine Rivers Fish Mgt Assoc cancelled the licenses due to the water level being to low for launching boats. This happened about 2 years ago now. The fishing zone was/is in the north-west section of the dam. I see lots of posts on the AusFish site from a fella called Stokesy86. He and his buddys regularly catch and post reports of good numbers of big Bass. Though they have never identified where they go.

As someone else has suggested, you can look at the recreational sailing club, which is on the south-west side. But they have a few requirements in joining them. Also the cost isn't exactly cheap either. I'm not aware that they would allow you to join for purely fishing reasons either. Cheers, Pete

Archived