netting oyster catchers off noosa

katfish

apparently, commercial fisherman netted a heap of permit off noosa recently, then sold them for $2 a kg.

excuse me for being a little pissed off, but us recreational fishos, we seem to cop a lot of flack for being irresponsible, what about this shite!

permit are scarce at the best of times, & wouldn't be considered top grade food, not even as good as fresh mullet, so why take them?

the water police (fisheries), do everything in their power to make sure we do the right thing, but who polices these bloody cowboys. cheers & pissed off!

My point is there is plenty to go 'round.

I think you are the victim of the emotive writing skills of the article's author.

Fighting between rec and com fishers does neither side any good. Each has their place in the ocean.

I think articles like that one cause people to lose perspective.

Have a look at a map of Queensland's coastline...then imagine how large a com net is on that map.

Hi ellicat, I have recently started posting up some of the Editorials of Fishing World Newsletter emails I receive,the one about the permit included,I throw these up on the site as an interest read for people and for each to take out of it what they will.

I agree with your..."emotive writing skills of the article's author"& "I think articles like that one cause people to lose perspective."

but I also agree with katfish`s..."that this species is more valuable as a recreational, & not commercial fishery..."

My cheese off would be the huge mark up from the $2kg,to what the filletted fish sells for to the consumer.

Why do people whinge about others that are doing something totally LEGAL.

That particular school of fish is probably one billionth of that type of fish in the ocean and a few hundreds kilos is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Rec anglers seem to think that fish belong to them these days and no one else should be allowed to catch them.

Then when things go against rec anglers like these marine park proposals you all jump up and down and call for these so called fish rapists to come and help you.

The sustainable fish programs in place these days are there to protect our fish stocks and take into account bycatch from commercial fisherman and ALSO loss of fish stocks from rec anglers catching and releasing juvenile fish that do not survive.

Its a balancing act that is set up for all interested parties and if you think you are hard done by then go get another hobby.

Maybe next time you drive past a big lot of land being cleared for a new housing estate go and join the people there trying to look after the little animals being killed by commercial operators but then again I guess most would not give a rats as it does not worry them what else happens or effects other people except themselves.

All sectors should be banding together to look after each other and not getting online and doing this sort of crap which in the long run only serves to give the ammo that the greens and government lobbyists are looking for to use against us all.

This is the link to this

/>http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com/artman/publish/article_485.shtml

i have never caught 1 of these fish and have never seen 1 reported and dont expect this will improve the recreational anglers chances, it seems like a catch sharing issue where recos are getting the bad end

smitty wrote:

This is the link to this

/>http://www.frasercoastsportfishing.com/artman/publish/article_485.shtml

i have never caught 1 of these fish and have never seen 1 reported and dont expect this will improve the recreational anglers chances, it seems like a catch sharing issue where recos are getting the bad end

....and what a one-eyed view he has. He'd rather see 5 times as many caught by rec fishers with the same resultant impact on their numbers. Maybe it's just my profession but a balanced view would be nice.

aussie 123 wrote..Why do people whinge about others that are doing something totally LEGAL.

I feel the same way about the greens and there anti-fishing(all fishing)views

sweresy wrote:

here comes the can ' o ' worms ;).........

are you saying lets go fishing... :laugh:

sorry can`t do SWMBO says that I`m now going to mow the yard whether I want to or Not :(

smitty wrote:

balance the numbers then ellicat, do you think the recreational community and associated businesses would derive a better figure than the commercial industry for this public rescource?

No. People from around the world do not flock to Noosa to catch permit. That is a totally laughable proposition. A catch like the one at issue will have zero effect on that anyway. Did you see how small that net is ? :laugh:

smitty wrote:

theres a very strong push in recent times to remove the netting from those beaches and it has my full support

Thats the way to go,close the water off in that area and lock them out.

Now lets also close some of the other water off to the recos as they are also putting pressure on fish stocks.

Bring on more Marine Parks.

OH Wait,you dont want to be locked out of your water,I forgot that.

Like I said already,some recos think everything should belong to them and no one else.

Rec anglers are already limited in some of the zones by the way they fish as are pros, its really not a new thing, i support line fishing for pros on the beaches just not net hauling. loading up a utility full of fish to be fed to cats says it all, its actions like this that are driving rec anglers to push for change.

Now I see it all.

The pros swam out had a look and said its a school of permit lets run a net and catch them so the recos cant get them.

The vast majority of pro fishers are very ethical and care for their fish stocks the same way a farmer cares for his land.

They are NOT there for a fast buck.

They want and need a future bthe same as a reco fisher.

Cheers

Ray

All fishos have great points - we are after sustainability with profitability very difficult equation. I know the pros are just trying to get a feed for the family and us recreational fishos are out to to have a good time and get a feed. What has not been said is who makes the decision - not me and not you. I want a equal slate for all fishos but understand that we require a balance of pros and recs to be balanced. I hate hearing that a significant portion of marine product comes from those disgusting Indo/Asia farms that would make chernoboyl look normal. It comes down to the politican we vote for and the impact us fishos have on those who make the call on whether we buy back licences or cover more green zones. My opinion is that there is a over balance and it is not in the favour of the pros - for a maintained sustainable fishery in conjuction with tourism dollars we need less pros and more fish in location. I will now get off my pestal.

I have to say it is a bit disappointing that they were netted, mainly because there is no better line fighting fish than them imho. That said, depending on conditions it is possible they didnt know what they were till they got them into the beach as Ray said. A similar thing happened a few years back with a sizeable school of parrot down this way that I know of. Not something the pros wanted but once the net is run there is no going back.

There was a report a few years back of a couple of (rec) guys catching and keeping bone fish up that way. They kept quite a few then came online and asked could they be eaten or were they any good for crab bait :( . I have seen these fish as being quoted as worth 1000's of dollars/kilo in terms of tourism, so maybe we should ban recreational fishing also?

We are all fishermen, and for the most part both recreational and professional fishermen have the best interests of the fishery at heart. With the result of the federal election we will come under huge pressure just trying to hold some of the waters we now fish. The more voices we have to oppose closures the better the chances we might get at least a few small wins. :ohmy:

I am a believer of water sensitive urban design, waterway health and catchment management, including urban development and construction management,all these elements contribute to the system and it would be better for us to promote these practices (I would be doing so however my short sighted boss sought to have me ousted).

The permit thing is bad and fisheries have been exhausted and decimated in the past.

However I would rather see fisheries work with catchment management and waterway health departments, and then at least our taxpayers money would bear fruit, as we all know, it all ends up in the sea and that is the bottom line.

cheers

smitty wrote:...theres a very strong push in recent times to remove the netting from those beaches and it has my full support....

aussie123...

Thats the way to go,close the water off in that area and lock them out.

Now lets also close some of the other water off to the recos as they are also putting pressure on fish stocks.

Bring on more Marine Parks.

OH Wait,you dont want to be locked out of your water,I forgot that.

Like I said already,some recos think everything should belong to them and no one else.

rayke1938 wrote:

.....The vast majority of pro fishers are very ethical and care for their fish stocks the same way a farmer cares for his land.

They are NOT there for a fast buck...... CheersRay

I don`t know how they manage it these days,if they rely on fertilising for each change over,or paddock rotation.

40 odd years ago one side of my family farmed seasonal small crops,the other side farmed sugar cane and beef.

In those days it was common practice to rotate the fields/paddocks,that is, every 3-4 seasons/years to leave a field/paddock unused and spell that land for that season.

In doing this,less fertiliser was used,less maintainence was required,and higher quality crops produced,and this meant better prices.

Maybe,for long term sustainability and quality fishing areas for both pro`s and rec fishers this could be something to ponder over.As for seasonal migratory fish, have some seasons of shorter allowable fishing durations.

There are times when, if you want to get something,you have to be prepared to give something,May be we all need to bite the bullet,better than having complete green zone lock outs for all,forever.

jon wrote:

wtf is a permit i thought it was a piece of paper you paid forlol

One of the Trevally family except they have a snub nose and apparently they go hard.

Edit: BTW the pic was taken from the internet hence I have cut the chaps head off, though I think he wouldn't mind being claim to that fish on a fishing forum.

Cheers Permit__7.jpg

as I have said in the past; fishing is farming, on a commercial & recreational level. To keep fish stocks, we need exclusion zones on a rotational basis so fish stock can recover.

this isn't rocket science,its basic farming, although, on a much bigger scale. there's always a simple solution to a simple problem. we as humans seem to make everything as bloody hard & confusing as possible. hundreds of pages of documents, hundreds of man hours, to achieve what? More bloody confusion.

To who ever said that we are whingers as recreational fishos, you are saying that to everyone on these forums. its not a case of 'having a whinge'. This is a forum where we can all express our views, exchange information, and hopefully learn more, not just about our recreational pursuits, but just about any other topical issue you care to mention.

for me, I thrive on the information provided on these forums, have learnt heaps more about fishing from all generations of folk, & fished with some of you as well. but most important, get out & go fishing while you still can. it may not be around for ever...

(post edit); the fish is a snubnosed dart. not a permit(great pompano). although from the same family,(trahinotus) the permit is found in the western atlantic, where as, the 'snubnose is found in tropical Australian, indo-pacific, & southern Japanese waters.

the reason for the term, 'oyster-eater', is because they crush molluscs using a set of pharyngeal bones in the throat.

to catch; as for normal dart but hang on. by power to weight ratio, that would make them about 14 times more powerful than your standard issue dart,. thats based on 500gm dart & 7kg snubby.

respect to all. cheers.

Archived