local near city locations

garry

Garry,

I am a newbie myself and am interested in how the more experienced anglers would answer. From what I have read on the forums already there is:

Pinkenba - I went on Wednesday night with my step-son to try and catch a flattie. We didn't get any bites :( but were not there at the best time (bit before high tide) as I can't keep him up too late on a school nite.

Nudgee creek

Breakfast creek

Newstead

Newfarm

There are probably lots more and I couldn't tell you exactly where to set up.

A start for you anyhow I hope.

Cheeers,

Dyce

Guys it all comes down to what you're after.

Just to fish - anywhere in the river. Catfish galore, you might be lucky to catch a normal fish as well.

Edible fish - All the places you have listed have been doing well with the guys on this site.

West end has produced some magic for me before. Along the stretch where the industrial area is opposite Coro Drive. Or even under the story bridge has produced some bream, flathead, whiting and eels for me.

Mate those cover a lot of the local areas.

I would add to the list,

Oxley Creek

Bulimba Creek

Mouth of Norman Creek

Mobray park.

Kookaburra Park.

But seriously have a read through the fishing reports in \"All Brisbane Rivers & Creeks\".

Anytihng suggested by members here will be covered in reports in that section. And most likely with a lot more useful information.

Angus

Thanks guys.

Personally I am looking for flathead. We have caught a few up the coast but they have been too small. Nudgee creek might be my best bet ATM if I am going close to the city?

The bridge to fisherman's island is another good spot apparently??

This weekend we might go to Baroon dam I think it is called? as my step-son like's freshwater better as he reckons he always catches more.

Cheers,

Dyce

Mate Nudgee Creek, Kedron Brook Floodway and Shultz Canal.

Flahead are also everywhere in the Brisbane River.

People just dont catch them coz they dotn use the right bait.

Best Bait for flatties: Lures/Plastics.

Second Best: Plastics/Lures.

Third Best: Live Bait.

Flathead are ambush hunters so its to use something that moves past them, not lies dead on the bottom.

Angus

Flathead as lazy fish the sit on the bottom and wait for the food to come to them, they lie there facing the current and wait for prey to drift pass with the current. They will lie on the edge of a bank and near gutters. Some of my best flathead have come from right near the shore. If you are using bait I would suggest pillies. The sinker needs to be heavy enough to get to the bottom cast into the current and let it dirft along and repeat. Use the same tactics for lures. Thats whats worked for me anyway.

Archived