Brisabne River 05/05/06 king threadfin salmon

blue_mako

gday all...

went down to brisbane river on friday arvo after school for a fish... we got down there at around 4:15... the water was perfect and smoothand there was no wind at all... the only waves were made from passing boats and city cats... our first impressions were 'we're gonna catch a fish'... and at night time conditions only get better (its always been this way when we r fishing from bretts)

we were there for about 15mins seting up all the gear, filling all the buckets with water, pumping up the rubber ducky to deploy our baits and ready for anythign that was out there waiting for a feed... after wed got everything set, on my second cast with the cast net, BANG! my net got an average kick for a big fish... it wasnt hard to tel it was either a good sized mullet or luderick... got the net up and over the railing and got a good 35cm rick out of the net and in the bucket... tied on a shark trace and set 4 hooks in just the outer layer of his skin.. there was no rocks visible as it was only just running out from high tide, so there was no option for using a cheaper and better bottom gripping brick for a sinker. so a 16oz snapper lead was the go... jordan got a half filled bucket of water and put it in the rubber ducky, he jumped in with his paddle and i lowered him the luderick and sinker from the pontoon and off he was to deploy the big rick...

after he got back in we went for a few herring with the net... bagged a good dozen or so and put em in the bucket... got both the handlines rigged for salmon and through out a herring on each hook.... we checked the lines every 10 mins or so as the catfish and eels normally get to them before anything else does... though every time we pulled in a line all baits still remained... its always good to pull in a good sized cattie or 1.5meter eel but its always beter that there not there so a salmon has more of a chance....

we got our biggest hit ever experienced and obviously a bursting run of a salmon at around 7pm... the handline was sent from one side of the pontoon to the other in half a second flat and straight out into the water it went... we have our line wrapped around a pole so we dont have to go swimming for them. i grabbed the line but was too late the salmon had already spat it and a hole ripped by the hook was in the herring... so it was obvious it was a salmon if there was no bite marks in the bait....

rebaited the line and out it went again... at about 8pm another bursting hit but i noticed the line cruising threw the water before it went tight and pulled the handline across the pontoon... so i took hold of the running line and gave it as bigger yank as i could... line was sent burning through my fingers leaving some nastie cuts (as angus saw on sunday)... i thought i lost him for a second because he was swimming towards us but picked up the loose line he left and bang! off he went again buring my fingers even more... i got him about 5m from the pontoon and whenever they get near the surface they dive for the bottom and thats exactly what he did... i got a bit of line back and then under the pontoon he went... i was lying off the edge of the pontoon trying to pull him back from under it and keeping the line off the barnicles... got him back out and up he came... he was prety dam spent, lying on his side... without the gaff, lying over the pontoon and griping him in the mouth with your hand is the only option (the same way you'd pick up a barra)... up came 6.5kgs of king threadfin salmon... i got pictures but they are only on my phone so i need to buy a cable to get them from my phone to the computer... but i will post a pic of one thats about the same size and when i get the cable wil post the other...

at around 10pm we got a hit on the shark line with the big luderick on it... the shark swam towards us so insted of buzzing off the drag... the rod just fel over because the line went loose... jordan picked up the line and buzzing off went the drag... we were surprised to even get a touch as the season is cooling down into the of season and not a single person caught a bullie at the comp.... sharks as they are, are smart and when he felt the tension let go of the bait... we reeled it back in and all the was was the tail of the luderick stil kiking around as if it stil had a head...

that was the only action for the whole night though it was stil great fun and we stil left with a good salmon!

cheers, troy

p.s. here is a 6kg salmon from a few weeks ago from our best haul of salmon in one night... its slightly smaller but it gives you the idea on how big it was

yeh they fite prety dam hard... well alot of fish at 6kgs would... that ones alrite not the bigest... caught alot that were bigger... liek this one its our bigest and went over 10kgs... its prety good considering there max growth potential is around 18kgs

troy [img size=344]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/jordan10salmon-38fa5a952dff6fb125d22f82750c42ff.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived