Setting Drag on Reels

Red

Does anyone set their reel drag with a scale?

Just wondering ... I've found it depends on the type of line and rollers or eyes on the rod ... friction.

I see this a lot ... but I can't agree with it.

Manufacturers recommend that your drag be set at one-third of your line's test weight. This means that a reel holding 15-pound test line should have the drag set to let out line at 5 pounds of pull. To set your drag run the line out through your rod's guides, tie a loop in the end, and then use a fish scale to pull on the line. When the weight shown on the scale is one-third of your rated line weight, the drag should be letting out line. If not, adjust the drag until it does.

Narh mate thought about setting it to scale but like u said theres just to many other factors to consider...

Plus when I'm fishing and have a fish on I'm always adjusting drag as not to snap off. So it would be a waste of time to have it set to scale as it would need to be readjusted after every fish......

Unless fishing for sharks I set my drag by grabbing a handful of line in front of the reel, and pulling. As long as the line comes of reasonably freely with no jerks, I have not exceeded the ability of the drag on the reel. I will then adjust so I am happy with the curve in the rod when the drag starts slipping.

Same with you guys.

I got into a habit with one of my old dodgy reels of checking it every cast be the drag would change all over the shop.

Now, I do what Feral(the master) does and just grab a bit in between the reel and the first guide and pull. I do on occasion lock my drag up tho, like when fishing structured areas of North pine or inbetween pilons or rocks with expensive lures. Usually if I hook a big fish away from structure(e.g Big NPD bass on the open banks) I set the hooks then loosen it quite dramatically(but still fairly tight) then hold the spool when I'm pumping. This has lowered the number of fish I've pulled hooks from and as you may think I havn't had a problem with the fish spitting the hooks. Maybe its because I use owners and gamakatsu hooks? Who knows.

But I change my drag every few minutes any way.

Thanks

Shark fishing is all set to 1/3 drag at strike. This is done with someone holding the rod, or placing it in the holder and connecting the scales to the d shackle (tied to the end of the double)

Shark fishing is the only time I adjust drags during the fight, for example going from strike to sunset (full drag - 50% B.S.)

Every other fishing I do is not as precise and is just what feels good. Usually I don't change the drag. Too often have I heard of lost fish when people increased the drag that one extra click.

On heavier gear, I use milk bottles to adjust the drag to the right setting. a 2 litre milk bottle filled with water is 2kg, so if I want 3kg of drag, I tie 2 milk bottle together (one half full) and adjust the drag until it only just can't lift the bottles.

Good thinking Cowfish...and environmentally friendly too!;)

I normally use the \"pull it and see method\" to get just enough drag to set the hook, but as noted in other posts it depends on the environs.

Unfortunatly most of my catches of late havn't been big enough to pull much drag:P

Cowfish13,I've been using your method to set the drag with heavy lead downrigger balls, 1 to 10kg. The heavy spinning rod & reels i'm using for 100#+ Tuna are rated for 15kg+, I can't pull line off the reel to set the drag, only be happy with the curve in the rod as Feral does. Pulling the line off the reel by hand works well for most, on lighter tackle WW.

Here's something you might try; Set the drag by pulling off the reel, then grab the line at the rod tip and pull a curve in the rod to create line to eye friction, on some combinations, drag will increase over 20%.

Archived