Bream at Boogy Creek 20/5/07

Gordo

Hi all

Headed out to Boggy Creek around 9:30 before high tide was coming in and decided to park myself at the end of the dirt road. I used bread as bait hoping it would work to catch bream. As soon as i casted my line, bang after 30 seconds i pulled up a descent sized 24cm bream. With a smile on my face i decided to put some more bread on my hook. In 40 minutes i caught another 5 bream all undersized measuring 19-22 cm. I felt sorry for the guy who was next to me who didn't catch anythnig but 1 catfish and he was there around 7 oclock. For the next hour and a half from 10:15-11:45 went the tide come in i didn't catch one thing until about 12 i landed a average catfish. After that i decided i had enough and went home. Pics to follow later in the week.

overall count

6 bream (1 legal size) just wondering if thats normal for most bream in the brisbane river being undersized or i was just unlucky.

1 catfish

Regards Gordon

forgot to add at the end of my report. After i caught the catfish as i was unhooking it, it jumped up so i stepped back. When i stepped back i heard a crack and as i looked down i relaized i had stepped and snapped the top of my rod :( bad way to end a good day of fishing

Shame about your rod mate.

Prob got the little guys coz they scavenge more than hunt. So using the bread would have attracted them.

Big bream will also take bread though so maybe it was just a big school of little guys. There are certainly big bream in the river dont worry about that!

Angus

Well done Gordo, nice session! Most of the bream I've caught in Boggy Creek lately have been a bit on the small side, but I've caught some really nice fish in other places over the past few weeks (indooroopilly bridge pontoon, breakie creek, kookaburra park)...Reading others members reports, there's definitely some good bream in and around Boggy Creek (not to mention cod, threadies, flathead, etc), which keeps shmucks like me hopeful ;) You went way better than i did on Saturday night :blush:

Cheers

Damo (aka Crusty)

p.s. bad luck about the rod!! A few years ago, i had a huge muddy let go of a bait just as it broke the surface...in a fit, i plunged the rod tip into the water just to annoy it...it annoyed Mr Muddy alright!! A huge claw comes up, grabs the rod, and CRUNCH, my favourite JW outfit is toast!

Hey Angus, yeah the little guys love bread. They attack it almost istantly. Its defianlty been the most effective bait i have used for bream so far. I have used plastics before which are effective as well and i've caught my biggest bream with plastics. i might give plastics a bit of a go when i head out next time

Crusty you didn't do that bad on your fishing trip, if you go there again just have a try with bread and you might get lucky. I'm planning to head out there in a fortnight. Bad luck about your rod too, damn muddy. I might have to throw my rod away or give it away.

Archived