Sick of getting busted up

tiotony

Ok back to barra corner again last night. Perfect tide and prawns everywhere- got about 30 in the first cast so continued for half an hour and got about 5kg worth for the table. Down the wharf to barra corner and seeing big hump backs with yellow tails and glowing pink eyes in the shadows of the wharf. Knew a big live prawn wasnt going to last long in the water. Sure enough instant hookup dropping a prawn in front of a barra only to be skunked on the pylons. 8 bustups in a row followed with a fat 44cm jack thrown in.

post-6937-144598589371_thumb.jpg

This is getting ridiculous, if only I could hook a fish in open water or of a more manageable size like around 80cm. I guess its saying good things for the fishery though, in 15 years of fishing that spot I have never seen anywhere near the numbers and size of fish that are there this year. To be continually skunked on 24kg braid is saying something, and I am sighting at least a dozen big fish every time I go down. What is working against me getting runs on the board is that they are just not holding in open water off the wharf at all, and every fish is 1 metre plus. 10 years ago the fish averaged around 75cm but now all I see are monsters.

Next time I'm fishing off the wharf a bit in open water to give myself a chance to play a fish out. They are only holding in the shadows of the wharf but I'll wait it out to see if I can hook a stray in open water.

Mate nice fish, but I wish i only had your luck lol..... I cant even get a hit maybe becouse im using Hard Body Lures at night. But it would be nice to here my line scream even if its heading to a pole.

Im Jelous of you lol :blush:

37kg shimano tcurve deep jig rod, okuma catalina overhead, 24kg braid, 30kg flourocarbon leader to a 7/0 circle hook baited with an unweighted big live prawn. Drift down in the shadows or drop in front of a fish and hang on tight or the rod gets ripped out of your hands.

Since the monsoons stopped this week they have been hanging just under the wharf on the uptide side, boofing every fish and prawn that floats down as soon as it hits the shadows. Typical of big barra they're not tailwalking on the surface and hence tiring themselves, but just doing unstoppable deep runs under the wharf. I am redlining on the 24kg too but they are just too big and powerful.

I got the jack in another section of the wharf that's good for fingermark, was taking a break from getting busted up in the barra zone, but got busted once there too from what was probably a thumping fingermark.

Maybe I'll give it a break for a bit to prevent depression! My mate I usually fish with down there is giving it a break as he is sick of getting busted too. Also fishing out from the wharf a bit under the lights gets tiring too- you just catch one tarpon after another and the temptation is too great to drop it down in front of the barra swimming under your feet.

There's a big QLD groper about 80kg Iv'e seen twice hanging around in the zone as well, wouldn't be surprised if he's wearing some of my hooks and SP's as jewellery.

I wish I could go heavier, but seen them like this before when they will only take the most natural presentation, typical fussy big barra in an urban environment- even using a tiny sinker will turn them off. Also got to get right in the strike zone, 1 metre off and they won't take it. Not the first time I've seen them like this, and sometimes I go down and they are busting up under the lights everywhere and will take anything you throw at them, doesn't happen often though!

I could probably gaff one while its sitting in the shadows, but its just not sporting!

Archived