Is this a fuel scam ?

Derrilex

Hi all. I just filled up my work van at a shell servo / coles express. The price for unleaded was $ 1.419. I had my standard 4 cent / litre discount voucher. The console operator said to me ( and these are his exact words ) " do you want to pay $ 2.00 more, and get 2 cents a litre more discount " I said, say that again. He said, quote- " if you pay $ 2 more, the discount is 6 cents a litre not 4 ". I said no thanks, paid and left.

The maths

35.73 lt. @ $ 1.419 = $ 50.70

35.73 lt @ $ 1.379 = $ 49.27 ( 4 cent / lt discount )

saving = $ 1.43

The alleged scam

35.73 lt @ $ 1.419 = $ 50.70

35.73 lt @ $ 1.359 = $ 48.55 ( 6 cent / lt discount )

plus $ 2.00 = $ 50.55

saving = $ .15

What do ya reckon ? Even if the operator worded it wrongly and I was meant to buy something for $ 2 instead of just giving them $ 2 to get the extra discount - it still stinks. Basically it just negates the original discount voucher.

Mate the whole current fuel situation is a SCAM, the whole 4 cents a litre off is crap, drive to the next servo and it is 9 times out of ten 4 cents cheaper. I noticed the desiel at my local shell, Calamvale (I never fill there as its always dearer) was at 1.59 yesterday so I drove down to the BP at Boronia heigths and got it at 1.47.

This weeks fuel bill for the work ute was 130 bucks, unleaded :angry: :angry:

Agree with all. If you were to buy fuel and the weekend paper for spot on $2 extra it would be worth it. Just the way the console operater said it put me off. If you pay $ 2 extra, not if you spend $ 2 more....This is the first time in a long time that Ive bought fuel from this servo as I have a 7-11 and a matilda that are closer.

I have done this maths a few times now and find it works for me.

I buy about 70L of diesel at a time, and then get bread and milk thus making a $5 purchase in the store. Without the purchase I get $2.80 off, with the purchase I get $5.60 off or the milk for free if you equate it that way.

As long as you are not sucked in to buying items you would not normally buy or use just to get the discount, then you can make it work for you.

Thinking about that then why is it that I can drive out the warrego hwy on the way to toowoomba and by up 8 cent's a litre LESS the in brisbane and again the other weekend when we went to coffs harbour it was 11 cent's a litre less the brisbane?

And no thre fuel company's arn't ripping up of.

Rather than playing the "discount" game, I'd rather just get cheaper fuel, no discount with a Coles/Woolies voucher, no buy more get more discount. Just genuinely cheaper fuel.

I hate (and that's not too strong a word), to have to go to a particular supermarket to cut off a voucher to get fuel at an inflated price (it makes me feel like I am living in the 'Depression' or in WW2 with ration stamps or just poor). Then to have some poor stooge ask me if I want to do mental gymnastics to work out whether its to my benefit to buy a few dollars more to... no matter whether it is in my favour or not I feel that I'm being duped.

The Supermarket/Petrol giants are screwing every last cent out of us they can. I will have no sympathy for Coles or Woolworths if they are screwed over by Aldi or any-one else. I will have no sympathy for the Aldis etc for being screwed over by the next corporate bully. Come the revolution - they'll all be up against the wall!

NOTE TO SELF:

Step off the soap-box and put away the keyboard/

Dassa, the further away from George Street the less it is ;)

Imagine if Beattie and Bligh hadn't mismanaged the Qld economy. Our fuel would be 8 cents a litre cheaper still....not to mention having a railway :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Travis, I've been putting diesel into the Navara lately but it wont start anymore. Sure is cheaper though. :pinch: :silly:

Dassa, the further away from George Street the less it is ;)

Imagine if Beattie and Bligh hadn't mismanaged the Qld economy. Our fuel would be 8 cents a litre cheaper still....not to mention having a railway :whistle: :lol: :lol:

Travis, I've been putting diesel into the Navara lately but it wont start anymore. Sure is cheaper though. :pinch: :silly:

its less refined than fuel but costs more at the moment... go figure

the oil companies are no different to the govt, they told us to use less water, and we did, now we are getting slugged at a higher rate bcos we arent using as much, well people it's the same for the oil companies, we dont use as much because we watch every dollar these days, so they simply slug us all extra so the ceo still makes the profit at end of year look healthy to justify his massive pay rise, now it dont take no bloody genius to simply up the price of somethin we all need, and have a record year for profit, eg, banks and their bloody ceo's ! they could charge us $3.00 a litre and we would still be gettin the crap, and thats what it is, the quality has deminished, or the australian standarsd have deteriated, 1 of the 2. the question is : would we still be drivin as much on weekends ? i for 1 would be turnin my car off at traffic lights, and makin the person behind me get the red, while i simple idle through the intersection conserving my fuel. and doin massive skids on these stupid bloody speed bumps on residential streets, what a stupid idea these things are, wait till ppl start complaining about the noise from people doin skids on em, the cure is worse than the disease here.

ok but in saying all this, if i could employ some 1 to make this much money for me and do it legally, i would too, so i aint complaining.

at the end of the day, it's business!they arent there to make us lot happy, just to take our money.

CRIME DOES PAY ! always has...... think about it ppl !!!!!!!!!

It all comes back to one thing - deregulation. As soon as there is a free market for essential services - fuel/water/power all the new providers collude on price and make a killing. This is one area that government should take back all control. Regulate the essential services to stabilise costs , or at least be accountable for the costs. Remeber when beatie said that Qld electricity prices would fall with all the new competition - bollocks, same story with fuel and water.I'm not saying that a free market is a bad thing, far from it, but for essential services it is the only way to get better pricing.

slightly off topic but still in the realm of a fuel scam is the introduction of E10 and gradual phasing out of unleaded, particularly at BP outlets throughout QLD and NSW.

most (if not all) marine outboard manufacturers recommend you DON'T use E10 in your boat due to damage to rubber fuel lines, carby diaphragms, fibreglass tanks, moisture absorption, etc so if you you can't buy unleaded and can't use E10 the only choice is premium which is 8 cents (or more) per litre more expensive.

now that is a scam!

Totally agree marty. E10 is the scurge of all things that use fuel. It is to petrol what the diesel bug is to diesel. Its a very poor attempt to prop up a dying sugar industry, and forcing the public to use it is totally shithouse. Whoever implements this change better be ready for a raft of law suits, adding to the ones from the motor industry. Why should we be forced to sustain the sugar industry by damaging our cars and boats - if the industry cant survuve on its own then let it die

I can't remember if it was the Senate or House of Reps (pretty sure senate) I was watching the other day, I just caught the end of one of the ALP senators saying that BP would be introducing a new ethanol fuel that will be safe for boaties etc. I've had a bit of a squiz on the net but haven't found anything about it yet.

According to a research paper that looked into the whole cycle of ethanol from base crop to getting burned up, it takes more energy to make ethanol that you get from burning it so using ethanol is self defeating.

In addition, the price of E10 when compared to standard unleaded does not make worthwhile.

Luc

They are working on improving it. Apparently the corn based ethanol is the worst.

In Australia the ethanol fuels are tax exempt (from excise) until 1st July 2011. After that it will go up 2.5% each year until it is on parity with the other fuels. So your last point will be even moreso after June this year.

It's a real problem that political parties prefer to be seen to be doing something worthwhile rather than actually doing something worthwhile. Carbon Tax being the one in the spotlight currently.

went to matilda enogera servo today sign said spend 6.99 get 4c per litre off

got a few drinks paid for fuel and drinks checked docket didnt get discount asked attendant wtf he told me i didnt ask for discount so i wasnt entitled went out to car then reentered shop and said well take drinks back and give me a refund for them attendant said i cant do that but i can give you the amount for the discount back seems like dodgee practises to me

Archived