Fresh in the Am, salt in the PM (ID too pls)

Bluevien

Had a busy day yesterday. A mate and I threw a few pots into the NPD on Friday night and checked them early yesterday morning and pulled up about 100 red claw between us. Dog food biscuits did the most damage followed by rockmelon and then soap.

Margate2mar2011.jpg

A nice early lunch was had.

Then after lunch we hit the salt in his boat. It was a 1230 launch so maybe a bit optimistic to be chasing snapper but the conditions were too good not to hit the Scarborough region... and not another boat was out there which was surprising.

Using freshly caught prawns 6 or so species were boated in less than 2 hours. Flatties, bream, mosses perch and grassies were some of them but no pink bream. Here are a couple we kept.

Margate2mar2011003-1.jpg

And then this thing took a pillie on a wild ride. My first boated shark so that was cool.

Margate2mar2011004.jpg

If we had more time out there I reckon we would have cleaned up. Maybe next time.

Cheers everyone... have a god week.

Rob

what a good day out... red claw to start and then some nice fish down at scarborough. now thats living... lol

just started working down at reddy and am going to have to get the boat in down there, although it appears lately the best days have been when i'm rostered as per normal.

well done again mate.

brett

what a good day out... red claw to start and then some nice fish down at scarborough. now thats living... lol

just started working down at reddy and am going to have to get the boat in down there, although it appears lately the best days have been when i'm rostered as per normal.

well done again mate.

brett

Brett, we put in a Dohles this time so easy to get to from DWB also. The water was spectacular yesterday, nothing like the forecast said it would be.. 15 minutes and we were there. I enjoy it there because of the variety, you are never sure what you are going to get.

Thanks fellas, it was one of the better days.

Just an ID question too if I could. I wouldn't know a shark from a guppy so any help on the type of shark would be good. We both called it as a gummy shark due to lack of visible teeth but now we are thinking school shark if you look closely at its tail. Any suggestions out there?

I am far from an expert on sharks but I reckon its a whaler.

How did you know it had no teeth? Did you stick your hand in its mouth?

A lot of juvenile sharks you can't really see the teeth until they bite and protrude from the jaw. They are sort of tucked away.

How did you know it had no teeth? Did you stick your hand in its mouth?

A lot of juvenile sharks you can't really see the teeth until they bite and protrude from the jaw. They are sort of tucked away.

Haha, no sticking my hand where it don't belong. If it had teeth they weren't visible when I cut the line and the fact it didn't bite me off may have been another clue but i didn't spend too long looking down his gob as I wanted him to get back in the water.

Any shark to me would be a bitey one so you could be right.

Archived