Size Leader for Snapper

depends a lot on the depth ya fish and also if there is any structure around the place, more than likely to loose a fish cause the hooks haven't been set, they have hard mouth tissue cartlidge, and more than likely these critters will be lost beside the boat as they have 1 more last bid for freedom and it is usually gained here for them also. but 20lb is fine in most instances. for in and around the bay sor snappery squire.

rob.

but black magic would be the last line i used, try shogun red, nice n soft.

Thanks guys - i thought 20lb was ok. I will give it another bash tonight and see how it goes again.

Good luck Mate, hope to see a post with lots of fish that have been caught :)

For offshore 30lb Flurocarbon is heaps and as for the bay anything from 6lb through to 16lb depending on the location. If you're up in the shallows with a lightweight lure than leaders as light as 6lb are the go for areas like Harries or Rainbow Channel etc than 16lb is heaps. Personally I think 20lb is to heavy for the bay but this is for plastics fishing bait is a whole different ballgame.

Cheers

Mark

i use 20lb black magic tough in the bay, sometimes in the river in hard structure i'll go up to 40 or even 60 (mainly at night deep in structure)

but for bay/inshore stuff i don't see the need to go over 20lb. i use improved albright connection with 2 or 3 locking wraps at the end of it

cheers

Dan

thanks everyone. I had a good night last with the boys. I have been reefed a few time with the 201b where I am fishing at the moment and the bloody reef sharks where impossible last night but I guess you do not need to up leader just for them. Thanks for the replies. Ted

Archived