Mud Island 4/6

chobbo

With the weather and tide looking good the call was made to head out to Mud at a sparrows fart Saturday morning.

3:30 at the ramp, a guy was asking us where we were headed, told him Mud and he laughed and said he was going to follow us because he had no idea how to get there. We took off up the passage and started to shoot out through the river with it apparent that this guy could not keep up with us. We made the call to stop at the mouth of the river and wait for the guy to catch up because we could see his lights in the distance. Flagged him down once he got close and showed him the way to Mud. Arrived at Mud still pitch black, pointed to the island and left him on his merry way.

Got to our spot, the fishing was non-existant to until first light started to peek its head over the horizon. Once the sun started to show it was on for young and all, rods were going off left right and centre, swearing and carrying on from line tangles was had by myself. I've made the call to piss the braid off after this trip.

The fishing had shutdown by 9am when the hoardes of other boats started to show up, the boat was back on the trailer by 9:30.

Tally for the day plenty of squire, 5 to bring home with the biggest just over 50, 1 shark, 2 stinking rays and 1 tuskie.

post-5008-144598630217_thumb.jpg

great sesh!! done and dusted by 9 thats the way to do it... :woohoo:

what bait did the damage? what kind of rig were u using?

zane

Bait was prawns, squid and whiting. Just run a simple rig, small running sinker to 2 hooks, nothing fancy.

great sesh!! done and dusted by 9 thats the way to do it... :woohoo:

what bait did the damage? what kind of rig were u using?

zane

Bait was prawns, squid and whiting. Just run a simple rig, small running sinker to 2 hooks, nothing fancy.

yeah i generally pin my livies to the bottom with enough led and give them about 1.5 metres of line to play with..

has done well for me.

alot of people reckon just chuck them out without any weight but every time i try it i end up with the livie wrapping up every line thats in the water :pinch: !!! and i havnt had much success that way either...

i usually just flick em way out the back then fish lighter gear in closer proximity to the boat.

Nice haul mate for such a quick session. Mate of mine woke me up this morning (7:30) to gloat about his catch 'somewhere' in the bay (such a great mate!!!!) - he left at 1am but said they didn't start firing til 5am so obviously that early morning timeslot is the go at the moment.

Enjoy the eating!!!!

Archived